Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Clothes Shopping in Toronto v US v UK.

Clothes Shopping in Toronto v US v UK.

Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice
Default Re: Clothes Shopping in Toronto v US v UK.

Basically what everyone else has said - out in the sticks, it doesn't really matter what you wear so long as it's practical (I arrived from London, UK in January and my first purchase was a pair of jeans in Walmart Napanee since I was freezing).

In the big cities or university towns you can find stores that carry more on-trend clothing - Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, H&M - and the malls tend to have decent basics stores like Old Navy, American Eagle etc. You won't find anything as bang on the money with current (UK) fashion as Primark or Top Shop, and catwalk styles take longer to filter through to the high street, but the shopping isn't terrible.

For my money, the vintage/thrift stores are better than the UK, or maybe just more affordable.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

For my money, the vintage/thrift stores are better than the UK, or maybe just more affordable.
Had never thought to look in those - must give it a go next time. Thought your comments were very accurate
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

Oh and as for shopping in the US we sometimes go over to Watertown as its only 30 minutes from the 1000 island bridge. But cant say that I was too impressed - no better than the Canadian shops. But my Canadian girlfriends seem to go once or twice a year for things like kids trainers and stuff?

Oh and what do people think of Roots? I like the sweatshirts etc (sharewear with my husband) but its getting really expensive?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate holt
Oh and as for shopping in the US we sometimes go over to Watertown as its only 30 minutes from the 1000 island bridge. But cant say that I was too impressed - no better than the Canadian shops. But my Canadian girlfriends seem to go once or twice a year for things like kids trainers and stuff?

Oh and what do people think of Roots? I like the sweatshirts etc (sharewear with my husband) but its getting really expensive?
Watertown is a fairly minor US market for shopping. If you want to travel further there is Syracuse and some outlet mall place in Waterloo, NY which is west of Syracuse and next to the NYS Thruway.

Watertown overall is a fairly depressing place....
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Watertown is a fairly minor US market for shopping. If you want to travel further there is Syracuse and some outlet mall place in Waterloo, NY which is west of Syracuse and next to the NYS Thruway.

Watertown overall is a fairly depressing place....
Yes someone else told me that - but just seemed a long way to go for a day with a border crossing - I could always make a weekend of it