Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Clothes Shopping in Toronto v US v UK.

Clothes Shopping in Toronto v US v UK.

Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:40 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clothes Shopping in Toronto v US v UK.

Originally Posted by englishrose1
This thread may have run several times, but I would really like views on what others have found with clothes shopping in Canada. Do most people save up and visit the US to the outlet malls or do they wait till they go home to UK. To stock up on the clothes they love. I personally prefer clothes from the US or UK. I have not really been keen on the fashion I have seen on the trips I have made. Where do you go, to get clothes you like? I wonder if primark will ever hit Canada?
I used to shop at the Eaton Centre or Yorkdale Mall they are similar to the shopping centre's we have in the the UK with very similar brands.

For your winter clothing you are much better off buying in Toronto than the UK as the shops store stuff that will stand up to the harsher conditions.

It may be slightly cheaper in the US with the strong canadian dollar but once you factor in travel time and expense to get there it may well not be worth it.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Hi English Rose

How are you? I can see where you are coming from!!! Primark is fantastic high street Fashion and very affordable, they rip off the best possible labels.
Canada does have a problem with its fashion sense probably due to the amount of snow they have to cope with. But saying that alot of the time is spent indoors and you do have a Summer I hope.

My friend lives in Prince George and shops in Winners, she is from Toronto originaly, and loves Winners because alot of it is from the states and she says the local population just dont but the high fashion items so they get reduced to a pittance, and then she buys them! I have shopped in Winners in PG and Maple Ridge and Vancouver and Vancouver was the best for clothes.

You can buy online from Topshop in America now so I wonder if they sell to Canada. Also there is the old faithful M&S.

It doesn't matter where you shop for new clothes most (though not all) have been made in China by Children, it is just the price tag that is different.

My favorite kind of shopping is secondhand, charity shops and the like and I was very surprised to find a very trendy secondhand shop in Naniamo, I did not expect that!

My cunning plan is to do window shopping on line then send members of my family out to buy said items before they visit. I hope it works

Sarah x
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I find clothes shopping to be equally detestable in the USA, UK and Canada.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:13 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

I buy all my clothes at goodwill.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops

Oh hell, i was hoping i'd never see my old leotard again

Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
Love it

sarah x
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Carhart is the new Gucci
So I'm an elevator this week and a colleague I know to be gay, mostly because his desk is frequently visited by the fire marshall, exclaims "love the coat!" I hardly dare explain that my Carhartt jacket is really for the farm, I was only wearing it because, confused, I farmed in my office coat.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:20 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
So I'm an elevator this week and a colleague I know to be gay, mostly because his desk is frequently visited by the fire marshall, exclaims "love the coat!" I hardly dare explain that my Carhartt jacket is really for the farm, I was only wearing it because, confused, I farmed in my office coat.
how's that going for you?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I went to pick up some lumber today, clad in the height of practical fashion in Canada - lined cargo pants from Costco, Fleece from a souvenir shop in Gros Morne and padded workshirt from Canadian Tire. All topped off with a toque from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. I fitted in very well at the lumber yard, reasonably well at the Supermarket and even the woman in the knitting shop didn't bat an eyelid. Practicality over fashion is the rule in Canada - leastways in Fall and Winter it is.

That being said, both me and the Mrs find the limited selection of clothing stores out here in the Far East a tad frustrating. One can only wear so much Eddie Bauer before one gets sick of plaid. I must be getting assimilated though as I find winners fare to be the nearest equivalent to 'Chav-wear' one can find in Canada.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Oct 24th 2009 at 11:16 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye.
how's that going for you?

"in an elevator" might have been better but I'm content with being elevated, thanks.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 5:11 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Not that i'm a fashion guru or anything, but is there really any major difference between a typical brit town and a Canadian one for clothes shopping? Last time I was in the UK, it didn't seem that different and the prices were much the same? Lot of similar stores as well.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Tallie is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a few shops I'm really looking forward to in Toronto - especially Benetton and Urban Outfitters, as there aren't many of these stores in the UK.

Sarah - I have done a bit of research and it seems Topshop don't ship to Canada, the upside to that I suppose is an excuse to go shopping in New York!

Re dboys point about similar shops does anyone know what the equivalent is of womens clothes stores like Warehouse and French Connection?

I am moving to Toronto in January and getting excited about the shopping! Also pleased to see there is a Toni and Guy is this is where I go in the UK.

English Rose - are you moving to Toronto soon or are you already there?

Tallie
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:42 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tallie
There are a few shops I'm really looking forward to in Toronto - especially Benetton and Urban Outfitters, as there aren't many of these stores in the UK.

Sarah - I have done a bit of research and it seems Topshop don't ship to Canada, the upside to that I suppose is an excuse to go shopping in New York!

Re dboys point about similar shops does anyone know what the equivalent is of womens clothes stores like Warehouse and French Connection?

I am moving to Toronto in January and getting excited about the shopping! Also pleased to see there is a Toni and Guy is this is where I go in the UK.

English Rose - are you moving to Toronto soon or are you already there?

Tallie
They have french connection here also H and M. Mexx is another one that I like to shop at.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

I live in Mississauga and i can honestly say i missed Topshop, DP, Oasis and alot of other favourites. However on a positive alot of chains are here as well. I spent much time trying to find shops i liked and found anything half decent was expensive! With a little browsing you can find some ok things though.

I have tried 2 days trips down to NY but like mentioned it can end up costing just as much. By the time you factor in travel, taxi etc.. Not sure if it is worth it. But the odd visit is good. I agree with what was mentioned in another post in regards to the winter. Coats and boots are just not made the same way in the Uk to cope with the winters here.

On a positive, I have now found a few shops thats are ok. H&M, Urban Behaviour for somethings. Eaton Centre is good for your designers etc and has everything. If you want something with a bit of everything on a cheaper and more expensive scale; I quite like Square One in Mississauga. There are quite a few outlets in Down town Toronto as well. For work bits I think Suzie is reasonably priced.. For boots loving Spring at the mo. Just bought a few lovely boots in there recently.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

My daughter who is 17 and I (40 something) both love Primark aka Primarni its soo cheap and is very on trend. (yes it is unethical but as someone else said most clothing is made in china now....)

When we go to Canada we love going to Old Navy and have only just realised that Winners is TK Max always good for a rummage! (infact TK Max here in the UK is going to name their furniture stores Homesense too). We also like American Eagle and always love our Canadian shopping - basically because its different to the UK.

In fact wouldnt it be boring if we all dressed the same!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.