Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Clothes Shopping in Toronto v US v UK.

Clothes Shopping in Toronto v US v UK.

Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Clothes Shopping in Toronto v US v UK.

This thread may have run several times, but I would really like views on what others have found with clothes shopping in Canada. Do most people save up and visit the US to the outlet malls or do they wait till they go home to UK. To stock up on the clothes they love. I personally prefer clothes from the US or UK. I have not really been keen on the fashion I have seen on the trips I have made. Where do you go, to get clothes you like? I wonder if primark will ever hit Canada?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:40 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clothes Shopping in Toronto v US v UK.

Originally Posted by englishrose1
This thread may have run several times, but I would really like views on what others have found with clothes shopping in Canada. Do most people save up and visit the US to the outlet malls or do they wait till they go home to UK. To stock up on the clothes they love. I personally prefer clothes from the US or UK. I have not really been keen on the fashion I have seen on the trips I have made. Where do you go, to get clothes you like? I wonder if primark will ever hit Canada?
...Stick with Canada love - Marks Work Warehouse every time, practical, affordable and bang on trend! Does Primark have a flagship store where you can try stuff on in a big fridge to see how it stands up to sub-zero temperatures? - I don't think so!
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Standard Canadian fashion "jeans and tee shirt" can be bought just about anywhere...............
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:48 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I have fashion concious younger friends who dress well and they shop in chain stores in the big towns. One likes Banana Republic in particular. I think the edgyness of fashion isn't seen here so much as at home. While the other responses have been rather sarcastic there is some truth in what they say, but maybe more so for the summer than the winter. When it's hot then most will be in t-shirt and shorts, and in the winter then you can find some style in layers! I think it's true that most people aren't fashion concious but it is possible to dress instyle and well. It is cheaper to go to the US outlets of course but that may not be practicable.

There are plenty of stores that have clothes the quality of Primark but not necessarily the price. You'll get over it.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

While the other responses have been rather sarcastic there is some truth in what they say.

I suppose to those with a lack of humour they can be seen as sarcastic but that was not the intention.
My nephews dress very trendily and they find everything they need in Ontario, although they were rather excited to see what we had bought them back from our visit to London
Old Oct 24th 2009, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
While the other responses have been rather sarcastic there is some truth in what they say.

I suppose to those with a lack of humour they can be seen as sarcastic but that was not the intention.
My nephews dress very trendily and they find everything they need in Ontario, although they were rather excited to see what we had bought them back from our visit to London
Lack of humour eh??
Old Oct 24th 2009, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Lack of humour eh??
If the cap fits...........
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:05 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeing that sarcasm is a form of humour I'm not at all sure why you would say that pointing out the sarcasm would indicate a lack of humour.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Seeing that sarcasm is a form of humour I'm not at all sure why you would say that pointing out the sarcasm would indicate a lack of humour.
Cheers me dear
Old Oct 24th 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_P

I guess we can't all be perfect..............

Old Oct 24th 2009, 3:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess we can't all be perfect..............

But you can get better if you work at it.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of anyone that would class Primark as the epitome of fashion in the UK. I thought Primark served those that couldn't afford to shop in fashion stores.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 3:58 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Do most people save up and visit the US to the outlet malls or do they wait till they go home to UK....Where do you go, to get clothes you like?
I'm not interested in a 5hr+ drive to go shopping, so that rules out the States. I'm even less interested in a 10hr flight. Home is here, not the UK. If I had to pop over there whenever I'm short of squash, marmite, hobnobs, M&S pants or whatever, the journey would soon become tiresome.

I go to the local mall. It's the easiest option.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 4:09 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it depneds on where you live which dictates peoples attitudes to clothes and fashion.

In the boonies no-one gives a toss what you look like or what you wear (a lesson I learned quickly), what matters are the clothes ability to fit the task in hand.

If you will live in a city - then the other people that live in that city will also shop in that city (for the main part) and you will get used to the way things are there.

If you want high fashion I would suggest moving to Milan or Paris, if you want clothes to do the job they are meant to whilst looking half decent then you will be fine almost anywhere in Canada.

I presume you know your own style well enough to know what will suit you and whats 'trendy'.? If thats the case why does it matter where you buy them as long as you feel and to a degree look good.

I'm often complimented on my apprearence (when I'm not ankle deep in shit and wearing coveralls) and seeing as i'm not driving 5000 miles just for a mall - get most of my day to day stuff at Walmart.

Fashion, and your need to have to have it are definatley superficial qualities.

(So speaks the woman who still clings to her Dior sunglasses and jewellery as the last vestige of a former life)!!!!!!

Carhart is the new Gucci
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I don't know of anyone that would class Primark as the epitome of fashion in the UK. I thought Primark served those that couldn't afford to shop in fashion stores.
Primark's horrible and extremely unethical. If you want to support children working in sweat shops in India and China then shop at Primark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.