Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

City hall blitzes U.K. for workers

City hall blitzes U.K. for workers

Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

DOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant future
Default City hall blitzes U.K. for workers

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...b-944bd17fc5fe

For those of you looking for a company who will sponsor you over.....!

Cheers

Dobbie
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:39 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: City hall blitzes U.K. for workers

Originally Posted by DOBBIE
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...b-944bd17fc5fe

For those of you looking for a company who will sponsor you over.....!

Cheers

Dobbie
Christ, I hope for your sakes that they don't recruit any British bus drivers.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

xxalxx is an unknown quantity at this point

All of our bus drivers in Liverpool seem to be Polish ..
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

DOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant future

No worse than the one's already here

(apologies to those already performing an heroic task here on the streets of Calgary......)

Cheers

Dobbie
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:38 pm

The bus drivers in Vancouver are awesome. No, really. I was quite shocked. They're friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and will even wait for people they see running to catch the bus.

In London, they just give you abuse if you question the fact that they've been sitting smoking in their bus while waiting for the shift to start.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by xxalxx
All of our bus drivers in Liverpool seem to be Polish ..
Fair enough. Would you trust a scouser with the keys to a vehicle worth £50k?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:42 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bazzz
Fair enough. Would you trust a scouser with the keys to a vehicle worth £50k?
Oi my dad was a bus driver in Liverpool.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
The bus drivers in Vancouver are awesome. No, really. I was quite shocked. They're friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and will even wait for people they see running to catch the bus.

In London, they just give you abuse if you question the fact that they've been sitting smoking in their bus while waiting for the shift to start.
I have to agree with you on this one.

The bus drivers in Calgary are a totally different class (for the better) to those in Birmingham, England.

In Birmingham they either placed their foot hard on the accelerator, or hard on the brake, there was no mid way point at all. The Birmingham ones always seemed to be in a race, as if, once they had completed a number of circuits, they could go home.

The Calgarian drivers are, for the most part, polite, helpful, OKish drivers and, unless you wear a particularly smelly/off putting kind of perfume (aren't they all), courteous
Old Mar 20th 2008, 6:06 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

What about the drivers who pretend not to notice people running to catch the bus? Do you get those in Calgary?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have to agree with you on this one.

The bus drivers in Calgary are a totally different class (for the better) to those in Birmingham, England.

In Birmingham they either placed their foot hard on the accelerator, or hard on the brake, there was no mid way point at all. The Birmingham ones always seemed to be in a race, as if, once they had completed a number of circuits, they could go home.

The Calgarian drivers are, for the most part, polite, helpful, OKish drivers and, unless you wear a particularly smelly/off putting kind of perfume (aren't they all), courteous

There all racing to see who can be quickest around the Bull Ring !
Old Mar 21st 2008, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

On a relevant note (not bus drivers, but work in general); I saw a government ad on TV the other day....

It was encouraging Employers to HIRE IMMIGRANTS!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Calgal
On a relevant note (not bus drivers, but work in general); I saw a government ad on TV the other day....

It was encouraging Employers to HIRE IMMIGRANTS!
I've commented on this before, but you can imagine the reaction if they tried to start such a campaign in the UK. It'd be pretty funny. Or sad.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:54 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I got on the bus at Brentwood LRT station on my way home the other day, and the (lady) driver asked how I was and seemed genuinely pleased when I gave the standard reply ("I'm good thanks!").

A guy got on just after me, rummaged in his pocket and held out a handful of coins saying ... "I'm sorry, that's all the change I have!"
Hardly glancing at it, she smiled, "Oh whatever! Just throw it in the box!"

When the bus started up, she stopped twice to let late-comers climb on.

As I left the bus, I thanked her and she replied, "You're welcome .... You go straight home now!", which made us both laugh.

I expect she is a school-bus driver in her other life!