British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   City hall blitzes U.K. for workers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/city-hall-blitzes-u-k-workers-523195/)

DOBBIE Mar 20th 2008 1:59 pm

City hall blitzes U.K. for workers

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...b-944bd17fc5fe

For those of you looking for a company who will sponsor you over.....!

Cheers

Dobbie:thumbsup:

bazzz Mar 20th 2008 2:39 pm

Re: City hall blitzes U.K. for workers

Originally Posted by DOBBIE (Post 6089080)
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...b-944bd17fc5fe

For those of you looking for a company who will sponsor you over.....!

Cheers

Christ, I hope for your sakes that they don't recruit any British bus drivers.

xxalxx Mar 20th 2008 3:29 pm

All of our bus drivers in Liverpool seem to be Polish .. :rofl:

DOBBIE Mar 20th 2008 3:30 pm

No worse than the one's already here :rofl:

(apologies to those already performing an heroic task here on the streets of Calgary;)......)

Cheers

bazzz Mar 20th 2008 3:38 pm

The bus drivers in Vancouver are awesome. No, really. I was quite shocked. They're friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and will even wait for people they see running to catch the bus.

In London, they just give you abuse if you question the fact that they've been sitting smoking in their bus while waiting for the shift to start.

bazzz Mar 20th 2008 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by xxalxx (Post 6089417)
All of our bus drivers in Liverpool seem to be Polish .. :rofl:

Fair enough. Would you trust a scouser with the keys to a vehicle worth £50k?

Steve_P Mar 20th 2008 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by bazzz (Post 6089456)
Fair enough. Would you trust a scouser with the keys to a vehicle worth £50k?

Oi my dad was a bus driver in Liverpool. :mad::p

Almost Canadian Mar 20th 2008 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by bazzz (Post 6089447)
The bus drivers in Vancouver are awesome. No, really. I was quite shocked. They're friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and will even wait for people they see running to catch the bus.

In London, they just give you abuse if you question the fact that they've been sitting smoking in their bus while waiting for the shift to start.

I have to agree with you on this one.

The bus drivers in Calgary are a totally different class (for the better) to those in Birmingham, England.

In Birmingham they either placed their foot hard on the accelerator, or hard on the brake, there was no mid way point at all. The Birmingham ones always seemed to be in a race, as if, once they had completed a number of circuits, they could go home.:thumbdown:

The Calgarian drivers are, for the most part, polite, helpful, OKish drivers and, unless you wear a particularly smelly/off putting kind of perfume (aren't they all), courteous:thumbsup:

Rubie Mar 20th 2008 6:06 pm

What about the drivers who pretend not to notice people running to catch the bus? Do you get those in Calgary?

mjwalker007 Mar 20th 2008 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 6089879)
I have to agree with you on this one.

The bus drivers in Calgary are a totally different class (for the better) to those in Birmingham, England.

In Birmingham they either placed their foot hard on the accelerator, or hard on the brake, there was no mid way point at all. The Birmingham ones always seemed to be in a race, as if, once they had completed a number of circuits, they could go home.:thumbdown:

The Calgarian drivers are, for the most part, polite, helpful, OKish drivers and, unless you wear a particularly smelly/off putting kind of perfume (aren't they all), courteous:thumbsup:

There all racing to see who can be quickest around the Bull Ring !

Calgal Mar 21st 2008 3:56 pm

On a relevant note (not bus drivers, but work in general); I saw a government ad on TV the other day....

It was encouraging Employers to HIRE IMMIGRANTS! :thumbsup:

bazzz Mar 21st 2008 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Calgal (Post 6093541)
On a relevant note (not bus drivers, but work in general); I saw a government ad on TV the other day....

It was encouraging Employers to HIRE IMMIGRANTS! :thumbsup:

I've commented on this before, but you can imagine the reaction if they tried to start such a campaign in the UK. It'd be pretty funny. Or sad.

Alberta_Rose Mar 21st 2008 5:54 pm

I got on the bus at Brentwood LRT station on my way home the other day, and the (lady) driver asked how I was and seemed genuinely pleased when I gave the standard reply ("I'm good thanks!").

A guy got on just after me, rummaged in his pocket and held out a handful of coins saying ... "I'm sorry, that's all the change I have!"
Hardly glancing at it, she smiled, "Oh whatever! Just throw it in the box!"

When the bus started up, she stopped twice to let late-comers climb on.

As I left the bus, I thanked her and she replied, "You're welcome .... You go straight home now!", which made us both laugh.:rofl:

I expect she is a school-bus driver in her other life! :thumbsup: