Reload this Page >

Mods, New Sub forums or not ?

Mods, New Sub forums or not ?

Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

kduk2191 will become famous soon enough
Default Mods, New Sub forums or not ?

Mods,

Is it not time to maybe look at subdividing the forum a bit. Into provinces, cost of living etc...

I can't be the only to get frustrated at coming on here only to find a really good thread with allot of good advice has disappeared way off down the forum.

It seems a waste of some of the people on here who's knowledge really is helping us all.

Newbies use the search engine, go to Canada, do something, but stop asking 'where to live in canada' etc...etc.. and clogging the good threads. arggg

If i'm way off the mark just tell me to shut up !
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:40 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mods, New Sub forums or not ?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

The repeated themes normally get pointed here by Judy etc, so I don't think subforums are strictly necessary....
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

hi there!

personaly it realy does not bother me..if people come here and keep asking those questions......

one reason in particular..is that new people are coming here all the time..not only to ask questions...but also to share their experiences....it may very well be..that someone has a new perspective or whatever...on..*where to live in canada*...and that to me is what a message board is for.not to just go to the valuable wiki or to read old threads...that have maybe even become redundant..for whatever reasons......

...and as you say ..they can also do a search..to which many of us here do suggest aswell...as giving advice, opinions etc...

and are you aware there is a category here for suggestions etc.??...under site feedback....you can add to the wish list there perhaps....as i and others have suggested things before..such as a sub forum for family class.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know you can click "subscribe to thread" (bottom left, when viewing a thread) on any thread you fancy keeping track of, even if you haven't posted in it yourself? That way whenever you log back on, you can click "my profile" and all your subscribed threads will be visible.

Originally Posted by kduk2191
I can't be the only to get frustrated at coming on here only to find a really good thread with allot of good advice has disappeared way off down the forum.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:01 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I take your point but I agree that directing people to different places in the wiki is the best way. The wiki can be updated by anyone, and the search engine works quite well too, for info about "where to live" or whatever....

I used to post on a forum that had about twenty subforums under "Canada" eg schools, taxes, banking, housing etc etc etc .... and it was a pain in the proverbial.

People were always "posting in the wrong section" or wanting to ask questions that covered maybe more that one subject, and the moderators were forever moving posts (and getting bad-tempered and grouchy about people who didn't obey the forum rules!!).

Newcomers to the forum were put off after their first post in a lot of cases!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 6:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kduk2191
I think that's a very good point. There are huge differences between prices and other things between provinces - especially between East and West. For instance, I'm paying around $4k a year for prescription drugs in NB for the family. There's no Pharmacare in NB and the scheme here that does apply denies assistance because we own our home, but in BC and Manitoba (for example) we'd be assessed only on (tax return) income and only have to pay $400 or so.

If someone had existing medical conditions for which they couldn't get insurance, that additional expense alone could cancel out other factors normally considered in relation to where to live. But if I posted that under a drugs cost thread it would be hard to find among all the other posts

Anyway, if someone plans to live East of Montreal and asks a question, sometimes the answer will be swallowed up by the majority of members Westwards and with the way people also respond to posts, you could end up with 10 posts about the East and 150 Westwards.

As handy as the wiki is, those ten posts may provide more useful and up to date info - but they are harder to find. Not everyone feels up to updating wiki and it might get into a bit of a mess if lots did it. Would it?

Yet there is also a case for keeping things all together. So why not sub sections AND general sections. Or would that cause problems for the site?