Choice of SUV

Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choice of SUV

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
For the 1st year since we moved here, this winter we are planning to be SUV free (maybe). We have had all Fords for SUV's (Expedition(s), Navigator, Explorer, Bronco(s) - oh and a Range Rover, oh and a Jeep or two.

This winter we are planning for a PT Cruiser and a something else not yet decided but we are enjoying not filling the navigator up every five minutes - certainly the worst for fuel consumption and even with winter tyres it wasn't nice in the snow - slippy slidey, it's the only one so far that we have had winter tyres with.

So the Expedtions were good, the explorer was good, the Range Rover didn't see snow (with us, but a friend bought it and loves it) but was fab in an accident, the PT cruiser we had previously was good hence the wanting of another. The Durango we had was horrid OH wouldn't even let me drive it in snow as he didn't like it that much.
I the Ford Expedition...had 4 of the bad boys. Had a Land Rover LR2 and RR...reliability is ...just got a Mercedes GL so the jury is still out.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:42 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I the Ford Expedition...had 4 of the bad boys. Had a Land Rover LR2 and RR...reliability is ...just got a Mercedes GL so the jury is still out.
Yeah we've had two Expeditions now (both Eddie Bauer editions) I rate them much higher than I did the Navigator, from drive/ride comfort to fuel consumption to handling in the snow. I would have another Expedition anytime but would throw my toys out the cot if another Navigator was brought home for me to use as the main car.

I'm supposed to have a Freelander this year but the Head gasket is still out of it (typical Rover), have a feeling I'll get stuck with the Liberty which is growing on me but again the gas consumption around town is proving less than economical so far
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we've had two Expeditions now (both Eddie Bauer editions) I rate them much higher than I did the Navigator, from drive/ride comfort to fuel consumption to handling in the snow. I would have another Expedition anytime but would throw my toys out the cot if another Navigator was brought home for me to use as the main car.

I'm supposed to have a Freelander this year but the Head gasket is still out of it (typical Rover), have a feeling I'll get stuck with the Liberty which is growing on me but again the gas consumption around town is proving less than economical so far
All mine were EB's too. I hate the beige interior though.

The Fords we've had in the past have always been reliable. A few years ago my husband talked me into Land Rovers what a load of expensive crap. He bought a Jaguar XJ...another load of crap.

This time around I wanted another Expedition but hubby decided to go back to Mercedes and the dealer talked us into a good deal buying 2.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747
We are coming to move out on Sept 7th and one of the last things now to consider is a vehicle.

Not knowing much about them I am looking at a Dodge Journey - 7seater - and a Honda CRV. We assume that being in a SUV it is a bit higher and a little safer ?

Anyone got any comments on either or any other such vehicle would like to hear them.

Thanks

JET
Just asked her indoors....she prefers the SUV....and guess what...likes the extra height...and sense of safety.

Some of the safest vehicles on the roads these days are SUVs.

I especially like the drop test at the 29 second point in the attached you tube video:

Old Oct 21st 2010, 2:13 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

All mine were EB's too. I hate the beige interior though.

The Fords we've had in the past have always been reliable. A few years ago my husband talked me into Land Rovers what a load of expensive crap. He bought a Jaguar XJ...another load of crap.

This time around I wanted another Expedition but hubby decided to go back to Mercedes and the dealer talked us into a good deal buying 2.
We've got used to beige interiors now, will always prefer black but anything is better than green or red velvet

OH has just bought a Jag It cost him next to nothing as it was a non runner - he replaced a fuse and bingo it runs. We'll not put it on the road 'til next year though so have no idea on reliability yet
Old Oct 21st 2010, 2:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

We've got used to beige interiors now, will always prefer black but anything is better than green or red velvet

OH has just bought a Jag It cost him next to nothing as it was a non runner - he replaced a fuse and bingo it runs. We'll not put it on the road 'til next year though so have no idea on reliability yet
Hubby had a new XJ 4 years ago...kept it for 2 years and then he was glad to get rid of it. He says it was the most comfortable car he's had but the problems we had...brake rotars and tyres (after about 15/20K miles)...were not covered by the warranty and costalota.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 1:47 pm

Hubby had a new XJ 4 years ago...kept it for 2 years and then he was glad to get rid of it. He says it was the most comfortable car he's had but the problems we had...brake rotars and tyres (after about 15/20K miles)...were not covered by the warranty and costalota.
Ours is an old one - '93 I think, the brakes need machining apparently and it seems to have stopped smoking like a train....