Choice of SUV

Old Oct 19th 2010, 1:42 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choice of SUV

Originally Posted by 2008orbust
Steve_P

the man who has to have the last word on mpg . . .

is there a weight issue with suv v car or is most of the suv just light superstrucutre ?

dont you have a problem with the car lower to the ground with heavy snow and slush ? - thought a higher up vehicle would be an advantage but you are the man on the ground
I know we will always go for something with something with more ground clearance. We have helped dig people with cars out of our road after heavy snow, but we were ok with the SUV.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 1:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

We have an SUV & have always had one since moving to Canada. Aside from liking SUV's we have one because a) I tow a trailer to trail my ATV around on, and b) in the winter when it gets really bad and they haven't plowed the roads, the extra ground clearance and 4WD is useful. Assuming you have snow tires. If you don't then it's useless.

In a snow storm, the offramps to the highway are the problem. They plow the highway but not the ramps. I've almost been caught out on a number of occasions. Of course, in a really bad snowstorm you don't have to go out. On normal plowed roads, the Mrs's front wheel drive Kia Soul is as good as the SUV. (A Suzuki XL7).
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve_P

the man who has to have the last word on mpg . . .

is there a weight issue with suv v car or is most of the suv just light superstrucutre ?

dont you have a problem with the car lower to the ground with heavy snow and slush ? - thought a higher up vehicle would be an advantage but you are the man on the ground
WTF

Plonk
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:52 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
WTF

Plonk
Oooh you're in for in now, Steve
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as the OP is going to Alberta, I'll chip in:

If you're moving to Alberta, really helps to have 4WD and a vehicle that is high up off the road, as you'll discover during the winter. Plus there are lots of gravel roads here. Even cars that you consider to be good for winter weather in the UK (like an XC70) can struggle in Alberta. I used to think pick-up trucks in cities were for posers until I moved here. In rural areas you'll see people driving pick-up trucks with snow plough attachments.

I went to a car wash here that is run by idiots, idiots because they take too long to wash your car but I've never gotten my windshield so clean and although it had some pretty serious gouges in it from being hit by gravel, once it was super clean and I could see it under the light it looked like it had been hit by a massive shotgun blast.

Contrary to popular belief you don't need a block heater in Calgary but you might once you get up to Edmonton, depends on whether you've got a garage.

Another point: if you want a decent price on a car you usually have to buy it in Montana or Salt Lake and import it. You'll get hit with GST and duty and it's a bit of a fag because you have to take it to Canadian Tire (or the local dealer if there is one) to get the daytime running lights sorted out but you can save serious $$$. More info at www.riv.ca I'm definitely not buying my next car here, I was an idiot to do that. The differences between the prices here and what I could have gotten in Great Falls are staggering.

One of the things people do (like Rich above) is compare retail prices, however the reality is that you can almost always negotiate or get a better price on most things in the US even if the MSRP is the same as it here, especially at the moment. Plus Montana has no sales tax, so you don't have to worry about that, only the import fees.

One other thing, I think luxury brands in Alberta are largely pointless. If your car is going to get destroyed by gravel and ice, best to buy something reasonably priced. I agree that Subaru is a good choice (which is what I got). Decent quality, but not a luxury brand.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:27 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
One of the things people do (like Rich above) is compare retail prices, however the reality is that you can almost always negotiate or get a better price on most things in the US even if the MSRP is the same as it here, especially at the moment. Plus Montana has no sales tax, so you don't have to worry about that, only the import fees.
The sticker price is just the starting point - not what you'd hope to pay. I was responding to the point that imported brands are costlier to buy here than in their place of origin, which isn't necessarily true.

I paid $8k less than sticker for my vehicle - the time/cost/hassle of going to the US to buy it couldn't be justified.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future

atlantic_expat

"We have an SUV & have always had one since moving to Canada. Aside from liking SUV's we have one because a) I tow a trailer to trail my ATV around on, and b) in the winter when it gets really bad and they haven't plowed the roads, the extra ground clearance and 4WD is useful. Assuming you have snow tires. If you don't then it's useless"

good info - thanks

thinking a towing point would be handy over there for towing in general
rather than just a caravanners thing as we have over in the UK
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:06 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

One other thing, I think luxury brands in Alberta are largely pointless. If your car is going to get destroyed by gravel and ice, best to buy something reasonably priced. I agree that Subaru is a good choice (which is what I got). Decent quality, but not a luxury brand.

That's one reason we will never buy new here - would rather buy an older luxery model that hasn't seen a gravel road rather than a newer bog standard vehicle.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 4:13 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

lesson learnt i hope
It would appear that it would be you that needs to learn a lesson or two.

Don't bother responding because as of this moment you are on my ignore list.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
That's one reason we will never buy new here - would rather buy an older luxery model that hasn't seen a gravel road rather than a newer bog standard vehicle.
Ah, but then you know a man who can fix them for free. The rest of us would die a long slow horrible financial death by a thousand pinpricks to keep it on the road, and parts for luxury vehicles tend to be a lot more expensive too.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Ah, but then you know a man who can fix them for free. The rest of us would die a long slow horrible financial death by a thousand pinpricks to keep it on the road, and parts for luxury vehicles tend to be a lot more expensive too.
Not necessarily - the older Expeditions we have had only ever needed brakes/tyres (all older cars need tyres and brakes, apparently Albertans don't think these are necessary safety features, the Navigator we had I think needed a windshield and the above. The Liberty we have at the mo' needed a windshield. Yes OH does switch other things out as is his want, he switched hail damaged trim on the Navigator, seats on the Liberty and such like. All the above cost less than $10k. I suppose the thing is having a guy that knows what they are buying in the first place
Old Oct 20th 2010, 2:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, you meant domestic luxury, not real luxury
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

I luv my SUV...........
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by iaink
Oh, you meant domestic luxury, not real luxury
Well, not everyone can have a Rolls - the parts are fairly hard to come by, so I thought I'd just mention the bog standard ones.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

I feel sorry for the OP, the thread has been hijacked and OP didn't get her answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.