Choice of SUV

Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Choice of SUV

We are coming to move out on Sept 7th and one of the last things now to consider is a vehicle.

Not knowing much about them I am looking at a Dodge Journey - 7seater - and a Honda CRV. We assume that being in a SUV it is a bit higher and a little safer ?

Anyone got any comments on either or any other such vehicle would like to hear them.

Thanks

JET
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:14 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choice of SUV

Originally Posted by JET747
We assume that being in a SUV it is a bit higher and a little safer?
Safer than what? They take longer to stop in an emergency, and are more prone to falling over due to a higher center of gravity.

Having said that I find ours pretty practical.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Safer than what? They take longer to stop in an emergency, and are more prone to falling over due to a higher center of gravity.

Having said that I find ours pretty practical.
Ditto
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:19 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

We are coming to move out on Sept 7th and one of the last things now to consider is a vehicle.

Not knowing much about them I am looking at a Dodge Journey - 7seater - and a Honda CRV. We assume that being in a SUV it is a bit higher and a little safer ?

Anyone got any comments on either or any other such vehicle would like to hear them.

Thanks

JET
As a cyclist, I don't consider them safer at all.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

Never driven a CRV but we had a Dodge Journey when we were on vacation in the States and it was like my school report "could do better"
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

You'll probably get a lot of grief from the SUV haters...

Good ground clearance, high seating position gives good visibility. Lots of cargo capacity, and easy access to said cargo.

The laws of physics still apply, though. SUVs are heavy and you have to account for that when steering and braking, especially in bad weather.

I have a Toyota 4Runner, and I love it.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

JET
I would recommend the Honda CR-V every time (our current one is 13 years old and almost 400,000km with not a day of bother!) and it handles really well out here in the BC Rockies in Wintertime, which is a very important factor for me. But you've confused me a little by the alternative you propose... Do you have a big family? (Is that why you're considering a 7 seater?) I only ask because the CR-V, while sitting higher than our Civic, and looking much bigger from the outside, it doesn't actually seem much bigger inside. It has the obvious advantage of being able to stick our 2 dogs in the trunk/boot, which we can't with the Civic sedan, and it has AWD, but I would say the CR-V is ideal for a family of 4 max. If, for example, you needed 2 child cars seats in the back, there's not much room for another person to sit in between. The leg room seems not much different from in the Civic, either. Basically the CR-V is what I'd call a little SUV, but (actually - maybe because of that fact?) I really love it.

Last edited by AlexInBC; Jul 30th 2010 at 9:28 pm. Reason: Meant "2 child cars seats" not just "2 seats"...doh!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:36 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
I would recommend the Honda CR-V every time (our current one is 13 years old and almost 400,000km with not a day of bother!) and it handles really well out here in the BC Rockies in Wintertime, which is a very important factor for me. But you've confused me a little by the alternative you propose... Do you have a big family? (Is that why you're considering a 7 seater?) I only ask because the CR-V, while sitting higher than our Civic, and looking much bigger from the outside, it doesn't actually seem much bigger inside. It has the obvious advantage of being able to stick our 2 dogs in the trunk/boot, which we can't with the Civic sedan, and it has AWD, but I would say the CR-V is ideal for a family of 4 max. If, for example, you needed 2 child cars seats in the back, there's not much room for another person to sit in between. The leg room seems not much different from in the Civic, either. Basically the CR-V is what I'd call a little SUV, but (actually - maybe because of that fact?) I really love it.
+1

Ours is 11 years old and still going strong. When it does eventually need replacing it will be with another CRV.

Plus, it had a regular car engine so gets car like mileage and emits car like pollution. Even so, unless you tow a horsebox or 23ft speedboat, it has all the power you need on road or off.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Plus, it had a regular car engine so gets car like mileage and emits car like pollution.
It has not a lot to do with what engine is in one. It's more to do with the transnission and final drive ratios that will affect your mileage.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

We are a family of 4, but thought with visitors the journey would give us a seating option.

However primarily we assume that during the winter we may do better in a SUV AWD or 4 Wheel drive than a standard fwd car. If people say that in edmonton area we will be ok with winter tyres and a civic for example it ill be much cheaper

Thanks for the replies so far

JET
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:52 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't need an SUV for it's hauling ability, or 'cause you've lots of rug rats, then a car will suit you just fine.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
If you don't need an SUV for it's hauling ability, or 'cause you've lots of rug rats, then a car will suit you just fine.
What he said. ^^^^

I lived in Edmonton for 9 years and now Calgary for 36 years and have driven both rear wheel drive and front wheel drive cars.

I have never felt the need for a four wheel drive vehicle.

I have been guilty of driving with all season tires for the entire time they have been available but would recommend winter tires to anyone who asked.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jul 30th 2010 at 11:21 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:16 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

How about a Subaru Outback? They seem like nice cars.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:22 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

For the 1st year since we moved here, this winter we are planning to be SUV free (maybe). We have had all Fords for SUV's (Expedition(s), Navigator, Explorer, Bronco(s) - oh and a Range Rover, oh and a Jeep or two.

This winter we are planning for a PT Cruiser and a something else not yet decided but we are enjoying not filling the navigator up every five minutes - certainly the worst for fuel consumption and even with winter tyres it wasn't nice in the snow - slippy slidey, it's the only one so far that we have had winter tyres with.

So the Expedtions were good, the explorer was good, the Range Rover didn't see snow (with us, but a friend bought it and loves it) but was fab in an accident, the PT cruiser we had previously was good hence the wanting of another. The Durango we had was horrid OH wouldn't even let me drive it in snow as he didn't like it that much.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Yup, I have a Subaru Forester and love it - great car.

Originally Posted by Oink
How about a Subaru Outback? They seem like nice cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.