Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

choice of few hotels in Toronto - help pls

choice of few hotels in Toronto - help pls

Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: choice of few hotels in Toronto - help pls

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I guess there a far worse places to live. Handy for downtown, for travel, the pubs, the market and an LCBO.
The disadvantage is lack of greenspace, you have to go the Island or the Beach in order to stand on grass.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:53 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
The disadvantage is lack of greenspace, you have to go the Island or the Beach in order to stand on grass.
There is that, I suppose.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33;
Everything. We were sitting on that patio when they started digging the hole for the Novotel and the condo building. it only made sense to walk across the road and buy a flat. Mr. Jani, the German speaking Uganda Asian at the bar, bought several and now lives on the rental income. Once living there I discovered the market and was hooked on the location.
Please give my regards to Mr. Jani if your paths cross soon.

Meeting him lead to my quintessential Toronto experience, standing outside a fake English pub smoking a Canadian cigarette and chatting in German to a Ugandan Asian about US politics.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:57 pm
Banned

westend_TO is an unknown quantity at this point

Stayed at the Sheraton on the 22nd floor with views of the CN Tower - it's a decent hotel. I liked the bar for a quick snack and beer. The free wifi zone in the lobby was also handy.

I'm planning on going to the King Edward for a meal soon.

If I were to choose I would still go with Sheraton but go for a high floor.

Someone mentioned the Hyatt on King - I thought it had changed when I passed it on the streetcar last week - I then had a long arguement with OH because apparently Holiday Inn has updated there logo and that he was sure that's what he seen. Ha, I've the last laugh now!

Check back in a year or two and you'll be spoilt for choice in Toronto with the opening of Shangri La Hotel, Ritz Carlton, Trump Hotel and Four Seasons Residence all getting the 5 star mark.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Will do but I believe he's in Europe for a bit.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by westend_TO
I'm planning on going to the King Edward for a meal soon.
I went there once to enjoy a flight attendant, I was taken aback at the luxury of the room. Very nice indeed.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Meeting him lead to my quintessential Toronto experience, standing outside a fake English pub smoking a Canadian cigarette and chatting in German to a Ugandan Asian about US politics.
Chatting to a Ugandan? That has a certain Private Eye feel to it.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:05 pm

I went there once to enjoy a flight attendant, I was taken aback. Very nice indeed.
Erm......
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Erm......
Things didn't go ideally with the flight attendant. I should never have said that I was looking for scars.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33;
Things didn't go ideally with the flight attendant. I should never have said that I was looking for scars.
Next time just tell her it'll be OK, you used to be doctor.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:18 pm

You were inspecting, or that was a request?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

You were inspecting, or that was a request?
Certainly not a request. I went beyond appreciation of physique into pondering the mechanics of construction.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:30 pm

Certainly not a request. I went beyond appreciation of physique into pondering the mechanics of construction.
Ah, re-upholstery.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:34 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

King Eddy any day!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

chaps, do you two want to get a room.........

anyway, cheers once more for all the help. i think i am going to dabble with hotwire, nothing ventured nothing gained and all that!

so my current list on hotwire is as follows:

InterContinental Toronto Yorkville for $278 US
Sheraton Centre Hotel for $230 US
Westin Harbour Castle for $199 US

i guess i cant go wrong for a minimum four star hotel for a double room for 3 nights at these prices. i'm just not sure the best way to book in US $ without incurring a credit card charge and receiving a shocking exchange rate. the rates definitely appear to be creeping back up but goodness only knows how it will be in a couple of months.