Reload this Page >

choice of few hotels in Toronto - help pls

choice of few hotels in Toronto - help pls

Old Apr 8th 2009, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough
Default choice of few hotels in Toronto - help pls

Hi folks,

Just booking hotels for our away day legs of our reccie/holiday. Planning 3 nights in Toronto when we arrive in Canada, onwards to Ottawa for 1 week house swap, then 2 nights in Quebec City, 3 nights in Montreal then back to Ottawa for 5 days.

We have noticed some excellent deals (all prices based on 3 nights for 2 people) on canadian affair for hotels. I just wondered if anyone had any experience or info on the following hotels:

The Royal Meridien King Edward - £200

Sheraton Centre Hotel - £196

Days Hotel & Conference Centre - £146

We are not at all fancy, and dont intend to be in the hotel that often, but if we only have to pay £25 each extra for a 5 star hotel in a great location then we would obviously do so. I've been on tripadvisor but any advice you could offer would be much appreciated.

Last edited by kancell; Apr 8th 2009 at 11:07 am.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:22 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: choice of few hotels in Toronto - help pls

Originally Posted by kancell
Hi folks,

Just booking hotels for our away day legs of our reccie/holiday. Planning 3 nights in Toronto when we arrive in Canada, onwards to Ottawa for 1 week house swap, then 2 nights in Quebec City, 3 nights in Montreal then back to Ottawa for 5 days.

We have noticed some excellent deals on canadian affair for hotels. I just wondered if anyone had any experience or info on the following hotels:

We are not at all fancy, and dont intend to be in the hotel that often, but if we only have to pay £25 each extra for a 5 star hotel in a great location then we would obviously do so. I've been on tripadvisor but any advice you could offer would be much appreciated.
Well, they're all very central. I've stayed in the Sheraton a couple of times. It's fine but a bit too bit for my liking. My preferred hotel these days is the Novotel City Centre (decent size and good location).

Have you got anywhere sorted for Quebec?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Well, they're all very central. I've stayed in the Sheraton a couple of times. It's fine but a bit too bit for my liking. My preferred hotel these days is the Novotel City Centre (decent size and good location).

Have you got anywhere sorted for Quebec?
not yet souv, still looking around as it appears to be fairly expensive! canadian affair have the chateau laurier for £80 and clarendon for £87 which appears as good as it gets. however i would prefer a small boutique hotel in QC old town with a breakfast thrown in, considering this place at £100 a night:

http://www.aubergeplacedarmes.com/

we are also considering trying to find a private rental apartment for a couple of nights. any suggestions or advice you can offer would be much appreciated?

we appear to have got a cracking deal on the chateau versailles in montreal for 3 nights B&B for under £200.

http://www.versailleshotels.com/chat...ique_hotel.htm

as an aside, we have arranged a home swap for Manotick on the outskirts of Ottawa. Looks like a lovely wee place, and although its not quite on our prefered side of Ottawa for exploring, i cant complain as its a lovely house on 2 acre lot..... plus its free and complete with car!

hows the weather your way, snowing?!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:57 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I stay with Starwood hotels a lot and both the Sheraton Centre and Le Meridien are excellent hotels. Le Meridien is probably the nicer, but I really like the Sheraton Centre. If you can get a club level room they have an excellent club lounge with free evening snacks and a great buffet breakfast. You wouldn't go wrong with either.

By the way, I think the great deal prices you quoted are not that great. You will probably find a better deal booking direct with starwood. Also check the hotels own websites, they often have good promotions. Remember the price you see on there will be for the room not per person.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I stay with Starwood hotels a lot and both the Sheraton Centre and Le Meridien are excellent hotels. Le Meridien is probably the nicer, but I really like the Sheraton Centre. If you can get a club level room they have an excellent club lounge with free evening snacks and a great buffet breakfast. You wouldn't go wrong with either.

By the way, I think the great deal prices you quoted are not that great. You will probably find a better deal booking direct with starwood. Also check the hotels own websites, they often have good promotions. Remember the price you see on there will be for the room not per person.
cheers for the info, le meridien certainly looks nice. unfortunately the price i quoted more than likely didnt include breakfast though.

i just checked out their prices directly, and im afraid it worked out £100 more to book direct rather than through Canadian Affair. From my initial searching, it defintely seems to be cheaper to go through an online hotel search provider. You are aware that the prices i quoted are for 3 nights bed for 2 people?!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:13 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: choice of few hotels in Toronto - help pls

I stayed at the King Edward last September and really liked it. Room was very nice on the 7th floor (I think)

I would stay there again.

Good luck with your reccie. I am going out on mine on 17th, but lucky enough to be staying with friends.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:16 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

not yet souv, still looking around as it appears to be fairly expensive! canadian affair have the chateau laurier for £80 and clarendon for £87 which appears as good as it gets. however i would prefer a small boutique hotel in QC old town with a breakfast thrown in, considering this place at £100 a night:

http://www.aubergeplacedarmes.com/

we are also considering trying to find a private rental apartment for a couple of nights. any suggestions or advice you can offer would be much appreciated?

we appear to have got a cracking deal on the chateau versailles in montreal for 3 nights B&B for under £200.

http://www.versailleshotels.com/chat...ique_hotel.htm

as an aside, we have arranged a home swap for Manotick on the outskirts of Ottawa. Looks like a lovely wee place, and although its not quite on our prefered side of Ottawa for exploring, i cant complain as its a lovely house on 2 acre lot..... plus its free and complete with car!

hows the weather your way, snowing?!
I think this place ticks your boxes.

http://www.hvq.com/index.html

I stayed there last February. Very nice and in exactly the right place. It gets excellent reviews on Tripadvisor.

It is indeed snowing. Not heavily but it isn't a welcome sight. I thought we'd seen the back of it.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

We have noticed some excellent deals (all prices based on 3 nights for 2 people) on canadian affair for hotels. I just wondered if anyone had any experience or info on the following hotels:

If that's the Days Inn on Carlton, it's rough.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If that's the Days Inn on Carlton, it's rough.
My Aunt and Uncle stayed there when they visited us from Australia. They thought it was pretty good but their biggest complaint was that the staff were too polite
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
My Aunt and Uncle stayed there when they visited us from Australia. They thought it was pretty good but their biggest complaint was that the staff were too polite
The comments I've received were from business visitors, usually from the US, people who stay in a lot of mid-range hotels. The hotels would usually be new builds in the suburbs so it may just be the age of the place that disturbs them. Still, no one has said nice things about it.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:52 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

You are aware that the prices i quoted are for 3 nights bed for 2 people?!
My mistake! I thought that was per night. That is a good deal at either hotel.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:03 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Sign up online to the Fairmont Presidents Club (no fees- its free), then take advantage of their Great Rates, Great Dates promotion which comes out at the beginning of every month (you have to be a member to get this rate):

http://www.fpcnews.com/greatrates/

Royal York in Toronto is currently from $175 per night.

Also, check the comparison sites like www.travelsupermarket.com

Have fun!

Flossie
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

When are you coming to Toronto?

The new Hyatt that just opened on King St W (used to be a holiday inn) has got some amazing deals until the end of June. $95 per night if you pay in advance and $119 if you pay when you leave.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

vickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the rough

I've stayed in the Days Inn on Carlton St a couple of times and its a good hotel. The area is not the best, but with the subway at the end of the road it is perfect for a recce.

Good Luck
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

My parents and their friends stayed at the Days Inn on Carlton and it was fine, it's nicer inside than it looks outside. The area isn't bad if you go West to Yonge and don't go East. Sunway is 5 strides from the door, Cinema next door, short walk to Eaton Centre South on Yonge or to Yonge/Bloor and Yorkville North etc. A little bit north if you were hoping to avoid transit and just walk to places like the CN Tower and Lake etc.

I also stayed at the Versailles hotel in Montreal with my wife on our anniversary a couple of years ago and found it to be a nice hotel, small and indipendant boutique style so no big restaurant/bar thing attached etc. but it is right at the foot of Mont Royal so you can walk easily from the hotel up there and it was a short walk to a metro station to head downtown or to the old part of town etc. and easy walk from that hotel to decent restaurants and so forth.

Drew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.