Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Children - UK vs. Canada

Children - UK vs. Canada

Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children - UK vs. Canada

The area with the problems was in a part of Toronto.

My friend claimed a lot of the problems were gang related and that usually it did not include normal people. The descriptions given reminded me not only of US schools but the way that some schools were going in London.

These incidents do not happen as frequently as they do in the US or major british cities, but they do happen enough to be noticeable and commented upon by the locals. But one good thing about Canada is that trouble makers usually stay in their local communities unless of course they relocate.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rooney2603;5922939]
Originally Posted by britsnake
I was speaking this week with a canadian friend on this very subject and it seems that location is the key. There are parts of canada were there are schools where there are security guards and knives and guns and kids getting shot and stabbed occassionally. I was advised to stay clear of those areas.

What areas are these???

My children's school had security guards and a metal detector. Children got stabbed occassionally. I don't recall there being any shootings. Drugs are sold on the porch and there used to be a problem with prostitution on school property before they brought in the guards and fences. It was and is a very good school but the location is urban (Jarvis and College in Toronto) and so these things are inevitable. Canada may be a bit of a backwater but they do have crack and meth here too.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:24 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dbd33;5924545]
Originally Posted by rooney2603

It was and is a very good school but the location is urban (Jarvis and College in Toronto) and so these things are inevitable. Canada may be a bit of a backwater but they do have crack and meth here too.
same here. there is apparently a great school for performing arts in the centre of edmonton which we were looking at for my daughter as she has shown some apptitude for that sort of thing. anyway, the location near to the downtown core, comprising of sex shops, homeless people, low cost motels with drunks/drugged up persons collapsed on the step outside and open prostitution during the day, sort of put me off.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rae;5927809]
Originally Posted by dbd33

same here. there is apparently a great school for performing arts in the centre of edmonton which we were looking at for my daughter as she has shown some apptitude for that sort of thing. anyway, the location near to the downtown core, comprising of sex shops, homeless people, low cost motels with drunks/drugged up persons collapsed on the step outside and open prostitution during the day, sort of put me off.
I saw it as exposing them to life's difficult choices at an early age. Besides, I mostly work on the block and have got used to it.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:48 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
Quite honestly, I didn't think he was winding anyone up, whereas the response was quite offensive. Maybe you are going on his reputation rather than this post.
I totally agree. I didn't read anything offensive or upsetting in his posts.

In fact, I agreed that a university education is considered (rightly or wrongly) a baseline level of education thesedays. I am post graduate educated. As are my parents and both my deceased grandfathers. I would consider it strange if my children didn't go to university. But if they had other plans that would be fine too. Expectations of 'normailty' and personal experience is all this boils down to IMO. Not snobbery and one-up-manship at all.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Feb 13th 2008 at 7:51 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:33 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dbd33;5927841]
Originally Posted by rae

I saw it as exposing them to life's difficult choices at an early age. Besides, I mostly work on the block and have got used to it.
i understand, i do not wish her to be wrapped in cotton wool, i discuss some aspects of my profession, not all obviously and am quite open in discussing topics on the news when they arise. i appreciate this is not first hand, but in some cases i do not think this is necessary.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:28 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Hi - first time on this thread so forgive me sticking my bib in...

We like many are coming to primarily give our 2 DDs a better life and opportunities. (Grass isn't greener just a different shade). We have already made a huge decision in the UK to abandaon what we feel is a largely failing school system in favour of Home Based education.

We have timed our Recci to coinside with the Sask. HBE conference in Regina and having attended a few of these in the UK - we are certainly looking to compare both sides of the atlantic on this one. But, again, both Mr Mouse and I are post grads, but we learned an important lesson about children at our last conference...if they are happy, enjoy the job they do, take pride in their work, home and family - isn't that the most fantastic start in life they could have? Its not about learning English, Science, Lanuguages, Maths - all you need to do is bake a cake and you have all these ingredients.

Spending time with them when they are young and vulnerable, that is what is important. Teaching them how to love and respect themselves and each other, not just giving but receiving these things too. Money and possessions are immaterial - the more you have the more you want...the persuit of excellence should not come with a price or status...

The question is - where can they get that...we are hoping in Canada - but we still need to guide and encourage - and that comes from us.

Kind of getting a bit sopy and blue eyed - we think the life in Canada for us will be harder - but it will be worth seeing their little faces when they are dashing around in the snow, see their first moose or bear close up and comparing notes over the internet with projects they've just completed with their UK friends...time and opportunities is what we want to give them...I am hoping that the distances involved in just being in Canada, make ME pull my head back in and wake up and smell the roses before I loose the chance.

Sorry if I've gone on...

Dawn
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:36 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Harrypottermouse
We like many are coming to primarily give our 2 DDs a better life and opportunities.
Are you talking about breasts?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:45 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

..... but it will be worth seeing their little faces when they are dashing around in the snow, see their first moose or bear close up ....
Dawn
.... not really something they should aspire to!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:20 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bazzz
Are you talking about breasts?
Nope - Darling daughters....(I said be nice)
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:21 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Originally Posted by Morwenna
.... not really something they should aspire to!
The opportunity to study and learn was the opportunties not well vocalised, not necessarily within immediate harms way...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:21 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

The opportunity to study and learn was the opportunties not well vocalised, not necessarily within immediate harms way...

Ah go on....... tell them to pet the nice cuddly bear!.......

edit: I'm the only person in the whole of Canada who's never seen a bloody bear! Even when one walked into the hospital I was working at, I missed it!!!!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:08 am
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Ah go on....... tell them to pet the nice cuddly bear!.......

edit: I'm the only person in the whole of Canada who's never seen a bloody bear! Even when one walked into the hospital I was working at, I missed it!!!!
Believe me when Stingy starts, I would love to sometimes giver her a taste of her own medicine
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

Believe me when Stingy starts, I would love to sometimes giver her a taste of her own medicine
Hello everyone, my god, this is the longest post ever!!!

i am a 28 yr old lad , originally from Scotland, but now living in NZ with my NZ partner and 9 month old baby girl!!

we are in the process of Canadian immigration at the moment and cant wait to take our baby daughter to Canada to start a new life.

everything we have heard and read suggests she will have a great start to her young days!!

I grew up in Scotland and have lived in various parts of the UK and have first hand experience of being brought up there(not that long ago!!)

In my opinion, the UK has a huge problem with Alcohol and Drugs. Not just in big cities but in every single Nook and Cranny of every region in the whole country. No matter where you go its everywhere.

Not that every person who is into this is a failure, but lots of violent crime is purely alcohol and drug related in most places in the UK.

I originially come from a town of 10,000 people and even there it is rife among most teenagers and young adults. (probably because kids there feel like there is nothing to do)

My partner from New Zealand could not believe it when I told her what normal weekends consist of for a young guy/girl in the UK!!

I honesty think that as parents, if we were in the UK, we would have a really hard job in keeping our daughter out of these circles when she was older.

Although, I think for a younger child, certainly primary School age, maybe things are not so bad.

Even some of my friends who ended up going to University and studying Law and Architechture have gone off the rails with drink and drugs. I have been shocked many times when I have bumped into former friends who have just lost the plot!!

I think overall it is a culture thing. The UK has this in its culture and that im afraid may never change. Maybe its in Canadian culture too, I dont know, but from what I gather, people over there have much more options in there spare time than just going out and drinking ten pints and taking some drugs to make themselves happy!!!

thats my take on it from a fresh out of the UK culture Scotsman who has been there, done that and amazingly come out the other side to a great life elsewhere!!

Grant.

Last edited by grantanddebs; Feb 20th 2008 at 7:31 am.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:53 pm
little snowy owl

I don't understand this post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.