Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Children - UK vs. Canada

Children - UK vs. Canada

Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

TheStennings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Children - UK vs. Canada

I have to say we applied a year and a half ago and although my wife isn't as keen as me I want to go out there not only for what I perceive 'a better way of life' but for the kids education and for a better future for them.

I know there is good and bad in both places but i just felt that my kids (10+13) have a better chance away from 'chavs', the dam yobs and the binge drinking !
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheStennings
I have to say we applied a year and a half ago and although my wife isn't as keen as me I want to go out there not only for what I perceive 'a better way of life' but for the kids education and for a better future for them.

I know there is good and bad in both places but i just felt that my kids (10+13) have a better chance away from 'chavs', the dam yobs and the binge drinking !
Thats our aim too; so far so good
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:04 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
How long has she been at the school?
Started the new term last sept. has had ups and downs, mainly up to be fair.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Pompeygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JSHalifax
you are kidding aren't you, my husband says I can talk to anyone!
well we found people here very friendly, they love the english accent, they were always curious about why we left so converstaion always turned to that. We live in the city so no problem getting out and about even in a snow storm so never felt isolated. In general though the Brits tend to be more stand offish with people they don't know well where the Maritimers just jump right in and adopt you..we got invited to family dinners and Barbeques and we had more firends in the first year than we did after years living in our street where only the neighbour next door would say hi when he put the cat out! Its also good to have a selection of friends rather than hang out with just ex -pats , although our English friends are still the only people that can make a decent cuppa. hope that helps, you really are worrying too much you know if you can live all those years in U.K. you can survive Canada.
Oh me too! I dont have a problem talking to anyone!
Everyone over here is so friendly!
Yes some of the Brits can still be a bit "British!" and seem to want to compare what size house and car you have etc!
The Canadians are a lot more laid back, and very sociable!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Wendy E is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Hi, just wondered if anyone would care to share their opinions on raising children in Canada, as opposed to the UK?

Pros, cons, that kind of thing!
Been here (Niagara Region) for 2 years. Came for kids sake (now ages 7 and 9) and have never looked back. Kids both doing well at school and are happier with the sportier life. Older one was very ahead when we got here as she started school earlier in the UK so they let her skip a grade.
My social life was forged for me by my son who took to Soccer and Ice Hockey in a big way. Have found people very friendly and easy to get to know.
Winters do drag on but the summers make up for it. Have strong doubts about the economic future of Britain. I'm glad I got my pensions out.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

derryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheStennings

Last night, I saw a rather disturbing programme on BBC world, called "Broken Britain" - let me pre-qualify my comments by saying that I consider the BBC to be a bit alarmist about a lot of things - anyway, it was about Wythenshawe, a suburb? of Manchester - and it painted just a frightening/despairing scene about the prospects for the young ones growing up. Drugs, stabbings, etc.

http://www.bbcworld.com/Pages/Progra...&FeatureID=607

Last edited by derryck; Feb 12th 2008 at 5:42 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:46 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derryck
Last night, I saw a disturbing programme on BBC world, called "Broken Britain" - let me pre-qualify my comments by saying that I consider the BBC to be a bit alarmist about a lot of things - anyway, it was about Wythenshawe, a suburb? of Manchester - and it painted just a frightening/despairing scene about the prospects for the young ones growing up. Drugs, stabbings, etc.
thats where i used to work and believe me when i say that comparing the kids there to the kids i deal with now is like chalk and cheese, and i now police the so called worse part of edmonton with a similar knife and gang culture, Millwoods, referred to as Killwoods by its residents at a recent community meeting. they do not know they are born.
no one ever called me sir in Wythenshawe, got a sir and a thank you after i handed a $500 fine to a 17yr old for fighting in public yesterday, the mere fact that i could give him a ticket and he actually took it from me is astonishing, in the shire, i would not even have bothered as i know this would just be the precursor for a fight.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:47 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by derryck
Last night, I saw a rather disturbing programme on BBC world, called "Broken Britain" - let me pre-qualify my comments by saying that I consider the BBC to be a bit alarmist about a lot of things - anyway, it was about Wythenshawe, a suburb? of Manchester - and it painted just a frightening/despairing scene about the prospects for the young ones growing up. Drugs, stabbings, etc.

any idea if i could watch this online, cannot seem to find a link? ta
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
It was a Newsnight series of pieces I think - http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...t=true&bbcws=2
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

derryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nicederryck is just really nice

Originally Posted by rae
I doubt it - if it was ever a Panorama programme, you might be able to see them on the Panorama web site. Otherwise - we'll have to chat. I recorded it on my PC, but it is all of 700MB.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
It was a Newsnight series of pieces I think - http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...t=true&bbcws=2
You truly are a star. I am not saying this because you are also a moderator...

I had not realised that it was part of a series... Now, I am not sure if I want to see the rest of them... ;-(
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:17 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
ta, just watched it, if anything it was under reported, shame she could not get more of the kids to talk to her, you had a brief glimpse there from what he said of what it is really like.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

rooney2603 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=britsnake;5872832]I was speaking this week with a canadian friend on this very subject and it seems that location is the key. There are parts of canada were there are schools where there are security guards and knives and guns and kids getting shot and stabbed occassionally. I was advised to stay clear of those areas.

What areas are these???
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:34 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rooney2603;5922939]
Originally Posted by britsnake
I was speaking this week with a canadian friend on this very subject and it seems that location is the key. There are parts of canada were there are schools where there are security guards and knives and guns and kids getting shot and stabbed occassionally. I was advised to stay clear of those areas.

What areas are these???
Some schools have their problems, but have never heard of anything like this in all the years we've lived in Canada. This sounds more like some US schools than Canadian.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Surrey Expat;5922986]
Originally Posted by rooney2603

Some schools have their problems, but have never heard of anything like this in all the years we've lived in Canada. This sounds more like some US schools than Canadian.
I's say that both of you are not far off the truth... Toronto has some school violence issues, but I think that it is fair (and quite American) to say, "location, location, location".

Check out some of these links - for a bit more of a background on this issue
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ce-report.aspx
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ol-safety.aspx
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_18438.aspx
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_18787.aspx
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/20...04368-sun.html

For me, most of the insight comes from the reactions/responses of the kids to any such incident - are they "shocked" or "indifferent" to the incident? Sometimes, the media's response is also telling -

I think that school violence is here to stay - I am not "alright jack", but I am not concerned about the school that my kids are in - it is just a regular school - in a regular suburb in Durham. If I lived in the Jane and Finch area of Toronto, I might not say the same thing. Toronto is probably the worst in the school violence statistics - and (just parts of it - occasionally) so we're talking about a small number of schools in a city that has 6% (or so) of Canada's population...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.