Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Children - UK vs. Canada

Children - UK vs. Canada

Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all
Default Children - UK vs. Canada

Hi, just wondered if anyone would care to share their opinions on raising children in Canada, as opposed to the UK?

Pros, cons, that kind of thing!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children - UK vs. Canada

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Hi, just wondered if anyone would care to share their opinions on raising children in Canada, as opposed to the UK?

I have children here. My brother has children in the UK. They're similar ages. Mine haven't reproduced.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have children here. My brother has children in the UK. They're similar ages. Mine haven't reproduced.
Yikes!

How old are your children? How long have you been in Canada and how did the children take to living there?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes!

How old are your children? How long have you been in Canada and how did the children take to living there?
26, 24, 22. They were born here and grew up here but spent their summers in Europe. All of them finished high school without getting pregnant. Otherwise I don't think things were very different for them than for my brother's children, they had similar educations, participated in similar sports, took up drinking and drugs at similar ages, they spent a similar amount of time exploring European countries at similar ages. My children grew up with a more diverse group of friends but that's more due to location within the country than the country itself; the south-east of England just doesn't have the immigrant population that Toronto does. All in all I'd say that based on this small sample the difference is that the Toronto educational system is better at selling the use of contraceptives to its students.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:09 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how to answer

What's your parenting skills like?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:07 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

We always bought the best house we could with the largest Mortgage we could handle, we were able to ensure the Boys were raised in an environment where people shared our value, not whether to go to university, but which one??

You raise kids to a certain age, then to a large extent, their friends raise them, and that is the key, know their friends, now what they are up to, get them in at least one sport a season while you can, athletics and a team spirit do help.

I have 6 Brothers, all our Children are vastly different, from one who is a Welfare Mother who bleeds the system, the whole gamut to another who Teaches Music and is very active in the Baptist church.

Mine are the University Trained, my Brothers , Electricians.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
We always bought the best house we could with the largest Mortgage we could handle, we were able to ensure the Boys were raised in an environment where people shared our value, not whether to go to university, but which one??

You raise kids to a certain age, then to a large extent, their friends raise them, and that is the key, know their friends, now what they are up to, get them in at least one sport a season while you can, athletics and a team spirit do help.

I have 6 Brothers, all our Children are vastly different, from one who is a Welfare Mother who bleeds the system, the whole gamut to another who Teaches Music and is very active in the Baptist church.

Whats with all the capitals??
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
Whats with all the capitals??
They Are oN SpecIal TodaY!!!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
They Are oN SpecIal TodaY!!!
dare I say it??? BOGOF!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grah
Don't know how to answer

What's your parenting skills like?
Don't know how to answer that either?

I wasn't questioning parenting skills, I was just curious to know how different, it at all, life was for children in Canada?!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

We visited with friends a couple of summers ago in Eastbourne. Their kids and ours are all about the same age (8-11).

After the initial novelty of being from different countries wore off, there didn't seem to be much difference at all.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Is there no-one out there that moved to offer their children a better life?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

My question has obviously confused people?!

The thread 'Why do you want to leave the UK' seemed to concentrate on the influx of immigrants - we have a long list of why we do want to leave, but that certainly isn't one of them. My husband, as a carpenter, works with Polish and Russians, who are very hard-working (although he has to admit the standard of work isn't so high!) - so if they are prepared to work and pay their dues - why stop them?!

Our main concerns are our children - youth culture is reaching epidemic proportions - the town we live in has an average house price of £400,000 and 33 children were refused a place in a local nursery (it even made national news!) .... I could go on but I won't bore you... I just wonder how life in Canada would differ for them .. if at all?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Howard1944
I don't think this directly relates to the country in which the children were raised but it's interesting anyway. Is attending university better than having a trade skill? If so, any degree from any university vs. any trade skill? What about trades taught at universities; computing or nursing for example? Is this point even about the education or is the point that Howard, and by extension anyone living in Canada, can afford to send his kids to university?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:08 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

My question has obviously confused people?!

Our main concerns are our children - youth culture is reaching epidemic proportions - the town we live in has an average house price of £400,000 and 33 children were refused a place in a local nursery (it even made national news!) .... I could go on but I won't bore you... I just wonder how life in Canada would differ for them .. if at all?
I think one problem with your question is the size and regional variations in Canada.

Kids being brought up on an acreage in Nova Scotia would probably have a different set of experiences from an inner city area in downtown Toronto or Vancouver!

I do believe that there is possibly less of a drinking culture here .... but kids do drink, and many youngsters smoke (not just cigarettes). They don't tend to hang around in aimless groups, smashing up the neighbourhood ... not in our neck of Calgary anyway .... probably too cold! And grafitti/vandalism is relatively rare. I might add that neither of my two tended to that sort of activity in England either....
Certain areas have a higher crime rate than others, but it is arguably much lower here than where we lived in Sussex. However, we do have some drug/gang/gun culture problems here in the city, and there have already been several murders this year. Do not think this is Utopia!

Kids play hockey and hang out in malls etc. Opportunities for organised sporting activities are numerous, but not inexpensive! Children appear "nicer" in the main, .... much more polite and respectful.

My son enjoys high school and there are many different ways in which the schools encourage a rounded confident individual (in our experience).

Personally, we feel we gave our kids a huge advantage, bringing them to Canada. They were aimless and failing back in the UK, and nobody seemed to care. Now my elder boy is doing and engineering degree at University of Calgary.

Whatever opinion anyone gives, there will be somebody to disagree and argue on here, but for us and ours, it was the best thing ever to come to Calgary!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.