Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian dialect

Canadian dialect

Old May 11th 2010, 4:05 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian dialect

Originally Posted by Oink
I try and get my Canadian HID to use British idioms without understanding their context. She called my mum a wanker, thinking it was a term of endearment and asked my very posh aunt if she had some bog roll. I've got a few more I working on in which I'm hoping to work into her keynote address at a UK conference later this year.
YOu are a bad bad boy!!!
Old May 11th 2010, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

My Canadian colleagues were laughing at the way I say arse.

Seems I can't pronounce my Rs properly. That's the trouble with rhoticism.
Old May 11th 2010, 4:30 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I try and get my Canadian HID to use British idioms without understanding their context. She called my mum a wanker, thinking it was a term of endearment and asked my very posh aunt if she had some bog roll. I've got a few more I working on in which I'm hoping to work into her keynote address at a UK conference later this year.
When we first moved here, my daughter called her friend a Minger for fun. Her friend asked what it meant and my daughter told her it meant you are beautiful. After a while we told her what it really meant and she found it funny. It soon got round the school and they all started using it