British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadian dialect (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadian-dialect-667504/)

Bramley May 9th 2010 3:09 pm

Canadian dialect

Does the Canadian dialect extend further than "Awesome" "F'ck" and "Eh" ? For example: Everything is awesome even when it isn't...f'ck pronounced "fock" is blurted out at every interval and Eh comes after every sentence :p

Steve_P May 9th 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Canadian dialect

Originally Posted by Bramley (Post 8553413)
Does the Canadian dialect extend further than "Awesome" "F'ck" and "Eh" ? For example: Everything is awesome even when it isn't...f'ck pronounced "fock" is blurted out at every interval and Eh comes after every sentence :p

He we go again with another sweeping generalization.:sneaky:

cargomatic May 9th 2010 3:17 pm

For sure :) is another Pronounced 'F sure'

Novocastrian May 9th 2010 3:18 pm

I fink it's dead brill like, innit?

el_richo May 9th 2010 3:27 pm

Other than to cause arguments and come across as a pillock, the point of this thread is......?

fledermaus May 9th 2010 3:52 pm

I find I have replaced 'sorta' with 'kinda', but then I'm common, eh?

Steve_P May 9th 2010 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8553468)
I find I have replaced 'sorta' with 'kinda', but then I'm common, eh?

You...common? Nevah!!!!:)

Bramley May 9th 2010 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo;
Other than to cause arguments and come across as a pillock, the point of this thread is......?

Ouch! It isn't to provoke an argument at all, in fact me and a Canadian were laughing about this over the weekend...So! My advice to you is give your head a good wobble and lighten up.

Steve_P May 9th 2010 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bramley (Post 8553473)
Ouch! It isn't to provoke an argument at all, in fact me and a Canadian were laughing about this over the weekend...So! My advice to you is give your head a good wobble and lighten up.

So what was the point then?

gingnut May 9th 2010 4:16 pm

Try to remember that when you make a comment or start a thread with the theme Canadians are backward, loopy, ugly, fat or lazy, you may be insulting the immediate family of some BE members.
However as a nation we must stop the use of the phrase ''no worries''.

PMM May 9th 2010 4:32 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by gingnut (Post 8553493)
Try to remember that when you make a comment or start a thread with the theme Canadians are backward, loopy, ugly, fat or lazy, you may be insulting the immediate family of some BE members.

How about brilliant?

Bramley May 9th 2010 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by gingnut;

I never name called.

el_richo May 9th 2010 4:44 pm

My wife, her father and my friends, for example, don't do this.

I never name called.

You implied.

Do all immigrants who locate around the Barrie, Ont, area live like this? -

http://ladybunny.net/blog/uploaded_i...let-794579.jpg

I have limited exposure but i've seen this picture so it must be true.

Surely when starting a thread like this you expect reaction. That said, if everybody you live with and/or near on your trailer park, work with/queue for benefits with, and acquaint yourself with speaks as you believe then i'm not surprised.

fledermaus May 9th 2010 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 8553472)
You...common? Nevah!!!!:)

aww bless :o

that was a compliment right???;)

kate 17 May 9th 2010 5:01 pm

What I notice is that the Canadians don't like the word bitch. It's F this and F that with some people I'm talking to, but I'm not one to say xxxx unless in certain circumstances hahaha, but if I call someone not present a bitch it's like they jump back, as if they have had a bucket of scalding water thrown over them.

They don't like the word toilet either it has to be washroom...When I was in England last year I used to say, "where is the washroom please" and then I was looked at funny...."Yer what luv, do you mean the toilet".