Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada over OZ

Canada over OZ

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:55 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Canada over OZ

Originally Posted by jamesmc
my mate was cleaning up garden when he was bit,was living outside sydney when it happened
Australia is'nt the only country in the world to have venomous snakes, more people die from snake bites in the USA then OZ l believe. Very few people in OZ are bitten by snakes and almost everyone that is survives.

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 23rd 2009 at 1:10 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:56 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
Is this in Ontario or another province (gas prices)

Actually from casual glance the article makes it seem as if only the US/Canada have affordable housing and that in general Australia/UK/Ireland are unaffordable.

However outskirts of Melbourne/Brisbane/Sydney is generally cheaper (for a new home) then outskirts of Toronto (ie GTA) with the advantage that in Oz you are still in the same city so you have access to integrated transport. *Disclaimer* Again this is only my experience, from living in both countries.

I suppose the other advantage is that you can get access to a greater diversity of housing close to beaches/water (for relatively less) then you would in parts of Canada - if you like that sort of thing.
Much the same in Greater Vancouver. A house say in Port Moody is way less than down town and still close to the outdoors and only around 45 mins to downtown. The crazy Vancouver prices ( 800,000 for a very average house) are a bit of a bubble and are mostly on the west side of the city.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by willmore
Doesnt sound that different then the west coast of canada.....
That's what I was thinking?? Snow in OZ? Shows you how we are influenced by perceptions. I have lived in a lot of places around the world and think, with the exception of San Diego, summer in Vancouver is perfect. Not too hot, cool at night and no mosis or humidity. Vancouver often hits drought type conditions in summer - i know that will sound very silly to someone from Melbourne.

I was surprised to learn that, although warmer, Sydney appears to get almost as much rain as Vancouver??, although Vancouver tends to get most of the wet stuff in the winter months and very little in summer/autumn, in SYDNEY it appears to be evenly spread out. Just shows you that we don't know places as well as i we think. I also recall living in Miami we got a lot of rain in the summer, although they were tropical storms and were very oppressive, resulting in a very unpleasant climate.

Last edited by dboy; Feb 23rd 2009 at 1:15 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:06 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dboy
That's what I was thinking?? Snow in OZ? Shows you how we are influenced by perceptions. I have lived in a lot of places around the world and think, with the exception of San Diego, summer in Vancouver is perfect. Not too hot, cool at night and no mosis or humidity. Vancouver often hits drought conditions in summer - i know that will sound very silly to someone from Melbourne.
Yes it snows in winter in southern OZ ,There are ski resorts in the mountains in the east of the state of Victoria and southern NSW.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes it snows in winter in southern OZ ,There are ski resorts in the mountains in the east of the state of Victoria and southern NSW.
Sounds nice. Do you ski? We sure live in neat parts of the world don't we?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

That's what I was thinking?? Snow in OZ? Shows you how we are influenced by perceptions. I have lived in a lot of places around the world and think, with the exception of San Diego, summer in Vancouver is perfect. Not too hot, cool at night and no mosis or humidity. Vancouver often hits drought type conditions in summer - i know that will sound very silly to someone from Melbourne.

I was surprised to learn that, although warmer, Sydney appears to get almost as much rain as Vancouver??, although Vancouver tends to get most of the wet stuff in the winter months and very little in summer/autumn, in SYDNEY it appears to be evenly spread out. Just shows you that we don't know places as well as i we think. I also recall living in Miami we got a lot of rain in the summer, although they were tropical storms and were very oppressive, resulting in a very unpleasant climate.
Well Im not sure if this is just a windup so Im just having some fun.....

Last edited by willmore; Feb 23rd 2009 at 1:25 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:26 am

Well Im not sure if this is just a windup so Im just having some fun.....
No really, rain in Sydney, more than Victoria :

http://www.eurometeo.com/english/cli...ey%20australia

http://www.bcpassport.com/vancouver-...mpurature.aspx

http://www.victoria-bc-canada-guide....c-weather.html

Last edited by dboy; Feb 23rd 2009 at 1:41 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

No really, rain in Sydney, more than Victoria :

http://www.eurometeo.com/english/cli...ey%20australia
No hon, thats not what I was referring to!

Nite now.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:28 am

No hon, thats not what I was referring to!

Nite now.
Well as my old man used to always say, i'm a bit thick
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:30 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Most ex pats who have gone to the land of boomerangs and kangaroos think we all live like Eskimos huddled in igloos for 6 months of the year and are nuts for moving to Canada.

Curious to know why those on here chose Canada over OZ or what is driving one to chose one over the other.
I would never have considered Oz.

I went there with my mum on holiday for a month and hated it. Don't like the laid back way of life they like to live.

I like to get up and go and love winter sports, I live to ski.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesnt sound that different then the west coast of canada.....
Except you get less rain then on the West coast.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:15 am
Banned

l guess people who have never been to either Canada or OZ can form a false negative sterotypical view of either country. Both are large diverse countries with different climates and landscapes, each country has parts that are very nice places to live and other parts that are pity dreadful.

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 23rd 2009 at 2:19 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:25 am

l guess people who have never been to either Canada or OZ can form a false negative sterotypical view of either country. Both are large diverse countries with different climates and landscapes, each country has parts that are very nice places to live and other parts that are pity dreadful.
Could n't have said it better myself.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Many more Brits choose to immigrate to OZ over Canada , if Canada was a better country to live in then would'nt more Brits immigrate there then OZ?
Then again, it could be the fact that Oz is much easier for most people to emigrate to than Canada.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:48 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Australia is'nt the only country in the world to have venomous snakes, more people die from snake bites in the USA then OZ l believe. Very few people in OZ are bitten by snakes and almost everyone that is survives.

Because they use anti-venom, every hospital in Australia carries anti-venom to every poisonous/venomous animal in Australia (except those EVIL jellyfish), that's why no one dies anymore. People still get bitten...

I love Australia (was born here lol), I have been to many countries but for some reason Canada just stays on top of the list. I too hate the retched heat, can't sand it! just this year I have recorded 43c, 44c, 45c, and a 47c (new record) and with only having 1mm of rain in over 2 months you can guess what everything looks like. I would someday like to have a house in the forest but its too dangerous here because of the fires.

I have been to Canada in the winter and it wasn't as bad as I thought, just wear the proper clothes. I can imagine after months of it, it would get rather tiring but still I prefer the cold to the heat! I also found the Canadians less harsh not saying people in Australia are but they can be a bit in-your-face.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.