Reload this Page >

Canada over OZ

Canada over OZ

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canada over OZ

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
You knew exactly what you were doing when you sandwhiched that in a sentence that ended in "tend to be cheaper".

Not. True. Cdnexpat.

I'm also not agreeing with you that the rest was. I don't have an opinion, because I never paid any attention to that stuff in Oz, busy as I was sweating like a pig, re-applying sunblock before going outside for 10 minutes, and setting up my mosquito coil so I wouldn't get eaten alive AGAIN that night after a long day of working and listening to comments about wogs, chicks, AFL, blah blah blah

And that was in inner city Melbourne.

I'm not bitter. Truly Just very glad to not be there anymore.
Like I said tend to be cheaper, I didn't say there were cheaper in every situation.

In general Canadian houses tend to be larger especially because building a basement adds extra square footage to the house. There, now are you happy?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
The difference between regular and premium is about 6cents/liter in Canada. Gas this morning was 88.9 cent/liter (premium)when I filled up this morning.

The below link shows median household income. That means that half of the households earn more and half less than the median.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_household_income

There is also a link that is floating around this site showing that many Australian cities have unaffordable housing compared to the US, UK, Canada (except for BC), Ireland and NZ. I can't find it at the moment.

Of course these are all statistics and it really depends on the overall situation of the individual.
Here is that link to housing affordability.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

http://www.demographia.com/dhi.pdf
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

The first link isn't working on my computer here. Any link to a google cache?

Second article works - interesting study...I'll take a look at it when I get home. I'll have to take a look at the method used to perform the analysis.

Interesting thing to note from a casual glance is that the better weather places in each country are all listed on the unaffordable sections.

Last edited by cdnexpat; Feb 23rd 2009 at 12:00 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:57 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

it's fixed, it works now
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:59 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I see you are talking about Ontario. That does make a difference.

Yes, in BC after 3 months you can't be fired unless for good reason. This is a fact. My current employer (who is also a mate) had to 'manage' an employee out of her job as that was the only option she had.

More rebuttal (FUN!)

1. Brisbane vs Toronto: Um. Okay, dude. Are you SERIOUSLY comparing To. (rust belt city of millions, centre of Canadian business/culture/trade, province of rich farmland, millions of people) with Brisbane which is at best a regional city in Oz? Maybe sydney would be a better comparison. Or melbourne. I have nothing against Brisbane, but To. it ain't.

2.Cdn houses. Ahhh, well, that makes sense. But imo those two things (basements adding $$ to house, no basement = cheaper house) cancel each other out. Why? BEcause you can rent out your basement and create income, which is something commonly done here. In the average australian bungalow you don't have that option, unless you were to move out and rent it, which means paying rent/mortgage somewhere else.

3. Wages. Sounds to me like you're talking about the wages for young school leavers. I know nothing about this so can't offer an opinion. My retail wage is not great, but much more than minimum.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:00 am
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

We chose Canada over Oz for many of the same reasons as many other Expats. I'm not a massive hot weather fan and although at this time of year it sounds appealing, I'm sure that I would get sick of it, I know the weathers are really cold here, but in general the seasons are the same just more extreme. And the distance back to the UK was a big plus too, not just for us if we needed to get back for any reason, but for friends and family to visit.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

it's fixed, it works now
Still not working on my end?

Thanks for trying though
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Yes, in BC after 3 months you can't be fired unless for good reason. This is a fact. My current employer (who is also a mate) had to 'manage' an employee out of her job as that was the only option she had.

More rebuttal (FUN!)

1. Brisbane vs Toronto: Um. Okay, dude. Are you SERIOUSLY comparing To. (rust belt city of millions, centre of Canadian business/culture/trade, province of rich farmland, millions of people) with Brisbane which is at best a regional city in Oz? Maybe sydney would be a better comparison. Or melbourne. I have nothing against Brisbane, but To. it ain't.

2.Cdn houses. Ahhh, well, that makes sense. But imo those two things (basements adding $$ to house, no basement = cheaper house) cancel each other out. Why? BEcause you can rent out your basement and create income, which is something commonly done here. In the average australian bungalow you don't have that option, unless you were to move out and rent it, which means paying rent/mortgage somewhere else.

3. Wages. Sounds to me like you're talking about the wages for young school leavers. I know nothing about this so can't offer an opinion. My retail wage is not great, but much more than minimum.
Actually recently there was a by-law put into places of Ontario that you can no longer rent out a new basement apartment, so there goes income for a lot of people.

Well though Brisbane is smaller then Toronto it has access to all the same amenities. Sydney housing is worse then Ontario in the city but the further out you get the cheaper it gets (compared to Ontario).

For example to have an equal priced house to outer Sydney you'd have to live in the GTA in Ontario - the problem with this is then you don't have access to the same facilities that you would have in an integrated city (ie having to use two different cities buses to get to downtown) which all addes cost + time to get downtown. So when I was saying "Toronto" I really mean the GTA (which is really the only affordable part of Toronto, for a house).
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

More rebuttal (FUN!)

BC used to have higher wages then Ontario - not sure if that's still the case.

I'm taking about wages in general, not just school leavers, but let's face it most of the casual/part time work force (at least in Ontario) are school-leavers. Most people in Ontario couldn't afford to run a house/apartment on minimum wage.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

The difference between regular and premium is about 6cents/liter in Canada. Gas this morning was 88.9 cent/liter (premium)when I filled up this morning.

The below link shows median household income. That means that half of the households earn more and half less than the median.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_household_income

There is also a link that is floating around this site showing that many Australian cities have unaffordable housing compared to the US, UK, Canada (except for BC), Ireland and NZ. I can't find it at the moment.

Of course these are all statistics and it really depends on the overall situation of the individual.
Is this in Ontario or another province (gas prices)

Actually from casual glance the article makes it seem as if only the US/Canada have affordable housing and that in general Australia/UK/Ireland are unaffordable.

However outskirts of Melbourne/Brisbane/Sydney is generally cheaper (for a new home) then outskirts of Toronto (ie GTA) with the advantage that in Oz you are still in the same city so you have access to integrated transport. *Disclaimer* Again this is only my experience, from living in both countries.

I suppose the other advantage is that you can get access to a greater diversity of housing close to beaches/water (for relatively less) then you would in parts of Canada - if you like that sort of thing.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
More people die from bee and wasp stings in the UK each year then people die in OZ from snake bites every year. Only around 2 people a year die from snake bites in OZ and mostly because they picked up or tried to kill the snake,.Regarding spiders no one had died from a spider bite in OZ in 30 years.
Yes OZ has animals that can kill people but so Canada. The USA has rattle snakes, venomous spiders, mountain lions, bears and sharks that kill people all the time.
my mate was cleaning up garden when he was bit,was living outside sydney when it happened
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:41 am
BE Troll

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
Still not working on my end?

Thanks for trying though
The first link was a CTV news article that provided the same link to the second link that I posted. The second link is the actual study.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:47 am
BE Troll

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
Is this in Ontario or another province (gas prices)

Actually from casual glance the article makes it seem as if only the US/Canada have affordable housing and that in general Australia/UK/Ireland are unaffordable.

However outskirts of Melbourne/Brisbane/Sydney is generally cheaper (for a new home) then outskirts of Toronto (ie GTA) with the advantage that in Oz you are still in the same city so you have access to integrated transport. *Disclaimer* Again this is only my experience, from living in both countries.

I suppose the other advantage is that you can get access to a greater diversity of housing close to beaches/water (for relatively less) then you would in parts of Canada - if you like that sort of thing.
I think you should read the article. There are lots of places in Canada on the water. Pacific, Atlantic, 5 great lakes and countless other lakes and Rivers.
The gas prices were in Nova Scotia, but here is a link (hope it works for you).
http://gasbuddy.com/
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:49 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bellanova
We chose Canada over Oz for many of the same reasons as many other Expats. I'm not a massive hot weather fan and although at this time of year it sounds appealing, I'm sure that I would get sick of it, I know the weathers are really cold here, but in general the seasons are the same just more extreme. And the distance back to the UK was a big plus too, not just for us if we needed to get back for any reason, but for friends and family to visit.
Its not hot all the year in OZ ( except for the northern tropical part) it only gets hot for 3 months during summer, which is great because it lets you enjoy the best beaches in the world. Where l live in OZ around 4 months of the year it gets very cold and l have a wood fire on and it snows in the mountains one hour away sometimes.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mohogony
Its not hot all the year in OZ ( except for the northern tropical part) it only gets hot for 3 months during summer, which is great because it lets you enjoy the best beaches in the world. Where l live in OZ around 4 months of the year it gets very cold and l have a wood fire on and it snows in the mountains one hour away sometimes.
Doesnt sound that different then the west coast of canada.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.