Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada over OZ

Canada over OZ

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:02 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada over OZ

Most ex pats who have gone to the land of boomerangs and kangaroos think we all live like Eskimos huddled in igloos for 6 months of the year and are nuts for moving to Canada.

Curious to know why those on here chose Canada over OZ or what is driving one to chose one over the other.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada over OZ

Originally Posted by dboy
Most ex pats who have gone to the land of boomerangs and kangaroos think we all live like Eskimos huddled in igloos for 6 months of the year and are nuts for moving to Canada.

Curious to know why those on here chose Canada over OZ or what is driving one to chose one over the other.
I thought Australia was a long way away and that, if it was horrible, there was a danger of not being able to afford the airfare back.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

East Coast Canada is 7hrs away from the UK and about $600.
Australia is 20hrs away and double the price.

And I don't like sport.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

My Fiance and I both have family over there and have always had a draw to that part of the world.

OH got a job offer in Oz but we didn't go as we thought it was too far from the UK and we only knoew 1 person!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

oz is too far away, the pay for me is less, and I like snow. They have Christmas in the SUMMER!!!!!

The idea of being able to travel easily to the USA Carribean and South America also appeals. Also I will be earning considerably more in BC if I can get through all the hoops they have put before me.

Anyway shhh... dont let everyone know about Canada!!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - and they live constantly in 40 degrees, it never rains and all they do is BBQ on the beach. Oh, and spiders and snakes are hiding around every corner.

Give me igloos over desert.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:06 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I love this forum.

I lived in Oz for 4 years and didn't like it.

Didn't like the heat. At all. It's just as difficult as cold imo. But, I'm in BC which is temperate. I MUCH prefer the weather here. I don't know if many people realise that not all of Canada is snow bound? I certainly didn't before I moved here.

Constantly having to worry about getting burnt/skin cancer gets old after a while too (australia).

Don't like sport or AFL. Didn't like that during the weekends, that was the only thing on TV.

Didn't like the culture (Melbourne) or the people. I tried. I really did. But no. The men! argh. Found there was a lot more aggro between ethnic groups there than I have so far witnessed in BC. I suspect heat makes people more angry? Dunno.

I like being closer to Europe.

I'm not too far from NZ

I like being close to the US/Americas

OH came to visit me in Melbourne a few times before we decided on Vancouver. He also didn't like it at all (he's Canadian). Neither of us have any desire to move or travel there again, unless we have to for family.

I really love BC. For us, it's great. I like the climate, the people (mostly), the diversity, I think there's way more opportunities here than in Oz in our industry, etc. etc.

I miss the big-city-ness of Melbourne but now I'm into the 'couve way of doing things I don't think I could go back. I like the west coast culture, I guess.

To me, it's a no-brainer.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:36 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ann m
Yep - and they live constantly in 40 degrees, it never rains and all they do is BBQ on the beach. Oh, and spiders and snakes are hiding around every corner.

Give me igloos over desert.
Yep - and In Canada they live constantly under -20 degress , the sun never comes out and all they do is play ice hockey on fozen lakes, Oh, and the grizzly bears and Polar bears are hiding around every corner

Give me desert over igloos.

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 22nd 2009 at 5:40 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yep - and In Canada they live constantly under -20 degress , the sun never comes out and all they do is play ice hockey on fozen lakes, Oh, and the grizzly bears and Polar bears are hiding around every corner

I'm not sure - but I don't think you took the 'tongue firmly in the cheek' sentiment out of what I wrote - which was in response to the "6 months of Canada and everyone lives in Igloos" of the previous post. All stereotypes are, of course, completely true
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Madwife
oz is too far away, the pay for me is less, and I like snow. They have Christmas in the SUMMER!!!!!

The idea of being able to travel easily to the USA Carribean and South America also appeals. Also I will be earning considerably more in BC if I can get through all the hoops they have put before me.

Anyway shhh... dont let everyone know about Canada!!!!
Pretty much the same for me. I've never been to OZ so will refrain from talking about what i know nothing of.

Pay for me was a major deciding point, but pay of course varies from industry to industry or its simply not important to some people. Location also - way to far from the rest of the world. I've lived in a warmer climate before (Miami) and funnily enough weather was not a real deciding point. Although on a run of wet weather in Vancouver i sometimes pine for warmer climes. A quick get-a-way to Vegas usually cures that.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by mohogony

Don't forget the mounties patrolling the streets on horse back in red serge.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget the mounties patrolling the streets on horse back in red serge.
...and polar bears wandering the street picking fights with the grizzlies, coyotes and wolves circling waiting to eat the losers remains.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Did the backpacking thing in Oz in my younger days but didn't like it much. Found the people to be rude and very unhelpful, really felt like they didn't want you there. Also it's just too far. The beach lifestyle appeals to my OH but not to me, we lived in Cyprus for 3 years and believe me going to the beach everyday gets slightly boring. I've travelled a lot and many people that I have spoken to have said that Canada is the best country that they have been to (even the Canadians said it ha ha) so we will be able to decide for ourselves once we are on our recce
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:16 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
...and polar bears wandering the street picking fights with the grizzlies, coyotes and wolves circling waiting to eat the losers remains.
Don't forget the Wooly Pythons and Flying Tundra Sharks
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:18 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Don't forget the Wooly Pythons and Flying Tundra Sharks
Oh yes and the Ice Weasels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.