Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:58 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Originally Posted by iaink
OK, I think we have ALL agreed that there are parts of Canada that are not good to be in at certain times, on the other hand we all seem to agree that there are many places where it is relatively safe to go all the time, Downtown Montreal and TO entertainment districts for example.

Lets turn this around then. What parts of the UK (if any) do you feel safe walking about in when the pubs / clubs are kicking the punters out???

Nice attempt at a shift of focus.....

But this is about the seedier side of Canada.... we already know the seedier side of the UK....

Wouldn't we be better of focusing on the places not to move to in Canada, most of us over here now know where its not a good idea to move too, the Torontonians know their bad spots… the Edmonton and Calgary lot can put up their “not recommendeds�… add in the info from BC etc…. if this list grew It could warrant a posting at the top of the page… it would be useful to anybody coming over a simple list of where not to go on arrival or to rent accommodation on an interim basis….
When I first arrived in Canada I had a HR department give me a briefing on the safe areas to rent in and those areas to stay clear of… an advantage many coming over don’t have….
We should make an attempt to share this info…
Old Sep 8th 2004, 2:17 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Too quote from something so topically posted at 10.00am today...

Originally Posted by Brad Weinstein
We are currently looking at houses in and around Victoria BC, any places to avoid?? We have seen a couple of homes in the High Quadra area, does anyone have any info/experience about this or other neighbourhoods?

Thanks

Brad

I think this topic is very ripe and valid for discussion... maybe even warranting a new thread?
Old Sep 8th 2004, 2:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Nice attempt at a shift of focus.....

But this is about the seedier side of Canada.... we already know the seedier side of the UK....
Actually it was about the notion that Canada is "just like anywhere else" according to the title. My point is that its not like the UK for starters. I cant think of one city in the UK where there was not the potential, if not the reality of violence in the night, even in the well lit, upmarket parts.

I agree though that it would be a lot more usefull to shed light on the seedier parts of towns for the benefit of newcommers, but that is not at all what the intent of this thread was, and you know it!

OK I'll start. In the case of Belleville, the only part I would consider giving a miss is a small part of the downtown aroung the "City Hotel" Well known for the junkies/ drunks who lodge there. Since the new theater opened nearby, things have been a lot better in that area though, but I still wouldnt want to hang around there on my own. There is the odd scuffle in the car park of Little Texas on the strip a bit further north on Front, but there are plenty of bouncers on hand to contain it so innocent bystanders dont suffer. The rest of the city is fine, although the upmarket areas are considerd the East Hill Area, and of course anything on the waterfront the other side of the bay or on Hwy 2 between B'ville and Trenton.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 8th 2004 at 2:36 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I think this topic is very ripe and valid for discussion... maybe even warranting a new thread?
Well, it's a good idea along as it's handled in a logical and sensible way, NOT sensationalized with a few headlines taken out of context from a paper.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:45 pm
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by willmore
Well, it's a good idea along as it's handled in a logical and sensible way, NOT sensationalized with a few headlines taken out of context from a paper.
Well I agree..

But you’ll just have to live with the media hype… for some that’s the only information they want to believe, or worst still the only exposure to information they get…

so they'll post it as gospel!!

for some other's they'll post it just because it'll ruffle a few feathers....

This is the internet
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:12 pm
squarepants

MikeUK, am glad you are able to see where am coming from on this whole thread. It has been an interesting argument, but it still kills me that people try and potray this "no crime, no violence canada"

You get people saying I live in the middle of nowhere, and there is no trouble there, of course there is no trouble there, because no one wants to live there. It's good for people coming over to know that whatever it is they are trying to run away from back in the UK, its here to, but maybe not in your face, as there are less people here, and the country is a lot bigger.

Teenagers run rampant here too, smoke all sort of things, and get pregnant too. Surburbian kids are bored out of their mind on what to do, and result to drinking, smoking, skate boarding up and down the streets, and hanging out at Tim Hortons, even adults do it ( can never get my head round that )

Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:24 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Bugger. There's crime in Canada? Someone could have mentioned it before I put in my visa application...

Last edited by Rhodes; Sep 8th 2004 at 9:36 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:28 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Rhodes
Bugger. There's crime in Canada? Smeone could have mentione dit before I put in my visa application...
Even worse, food, housing and SUV's aren't free - you have to work to pay for them!! Outrageous!! I'm sure nobody told me that before I applied.

Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:31 pm
squarepants

But you know what fellas, there is no TV licence here, so that has got to count for something ( not that I ever paid it in the UK )

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Even worse, food, housing and SUV's aren't free - you have to work to pay for them!! Outrageous!! I'm sure nobody told me that before I applied.

Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:37 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

You're pulling my leg, aren't you?
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:39 pm
Glaswegian

You're pulling my leg, aren't you?
Nope, you're actually expected to earn your keep once you get here and they even tax you on your earnings too!!

Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=squarepants]
Where exactly are you coming from? Once again you make a sensationalized statement like above that's un-true....I have read through the entire thread and no where does anyone say anything about there being NO CRIME OR VIOLENCE IN CANADA!!!!! Get your bloody facts straight.

Anyone who is comtemplating a huge move from UK to Canada would surely be smart enough to do some research on the subject. So who made you the "saviour" of all the immigrants to Canada, when the best you can do is pull 3 sensationalized articles from papers?

Oh, by the way, everyone wants to move to the "middle of nowhere" - why do you think we are having so many people move to the island - and yes, with that comes problems.....no place on earth is immune to problems...

Teenagers run rampant everywhere - lots of kids with no direction in life, bored, want to follow the crowd.....there are also lots of kids who are doing something credible with their lives - its a small majority of kids causing the problems, and by the way, yes, teenagers have always got pregnant - yes, even in the "dark ages".....that's nothing new or unique in life.

Please I beg of you, if you wish to contribute to the society of immigrants.....start a thread that will assist them in their decision to move or not to move to Canada with facts and figures.....not garbage!
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:52 pm
squarepants

I wasn't making reference to this thread in particular when I said that, and for some reason, you have taken it upon yourself to think the statement was directed towards you.

Watch your mouth, no need for abuse, you have done that before. You say everyone wants to move to the middle of nowhere, does that include Rhodes ( going to Brampton ), Stepnek ( Montreal ), others in Barrie, London ( ontario )?

I sure wasn't the one that wrote the newspaper articles of everyday violence/trouble in the country

[QUOTE=willmore]
Originally Posted by squarepants
Where exactly are you coming from? Once again you make a sensationalized statement like above that's un-true....I have read through the entire thread and no where does anyone say anything about there being NO CRIME OR VIOLENCE IN CANADA!!!!! Get your bloody facts straight.

Anyone who is comtemplating a huge move from UK to Canada would surely be smart enough to do some research on the subject. So who made you the "saviour" of all the immigrants to Canada, when the best you can do is pull 3 sensationalized articles from papers?

Oh, by the way, everyone wants to move to the "middle of nowhere" - why do you think we are having so many people move to the island - and yes, with that comes problems.....no place on earth is immune to problems...

Teenagers run rampant everywhere - lots of kids with no direction in life, bored, want to follow the crowd.....there are also lots of kids who are doing something credible with their lives - its a small majority of kids causing the problems, and by the way, yes, teenagers have always got pregnant - yes, even in the "dark ages".....that's nothing new or unique in life.

Please I beg of you, if you wish to contribute to the society of immigrants.....start a thread that will assist them in their decision to move or not to move to Canada with facts and figures.....not garbage!

Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:53 pm
Once bemused

Nope, you're actually expected to earn your keep once you get here and they even tax you on your earnings too!!
It sounds just like England in some respects.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:55 pm
squarepants

Is that fair to say, "canada, just like anywhere else really"? Oh...and the taxes are higher

It sounds just like England in some respects.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.