Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:58 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Originally Posted by Rhodes
It sounds just like England in some respects.
Can we close this thread now?

I think you got the point .... we have crime, we have drugs, you have to work, you have to pay taxes, true there's no TV license - but you have to pay for cable or make do with 5 channels.

Life in Canada has the same general characteristics as life in the UK.

Oh, one more thing, the sidewalks are made of concrete too .... that gold thing was myth as well.

Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:58 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Originally Posted by squarepants
the taxes are higher
Not for much longer if we keep the same Chanceellor of the Exchequer, I'd wager.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 10:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squarepants
I sure wasn't the one that wrote the newspaper articles of everyday violence/trouble in the country
I'm sorry, I didnt realise people being shot on the 401 was an everyday event. Funny, Ive been here a fairly long time, and this is maybe the second time, unless its so common they dont usually bother to report it. Your right, Canada is a wicked wicked place, and we should all carry guns just in case something nasty is about to happen.

By the way, you have a very twisted view of what life in the country is like, maybe you should read this article. Its from the UK, but could just as well be from Canada.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...299411,00.html
Old Sep 8th 2004, 10:00 pm
squarepants

I was referring to here actually Ontario taxes are pretty high ( enough ). Always a good read, is this site:

www.moneysense.ca

Originally Posted by Rhodes
Not for much longer if we keep the same Chanceellor of the Exchequer, I'd wager.

Old Sep 8th 2004, 10:03 pm
squarepants

Whilst we are on the taxes issue, here is something to munch on from todays news:

http://www.canada.com/businesscentre...0-50297CC1A829

From the UK, comes this one:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews...name_page.html

Old Sep 8th 2004, 10:12 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by iaink
IIts from the UK, but could just as well be from Canada.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...299411,00.html
I used to commuter from Leicester to London daily - it was very busy train - lots of people used to do it.

It's actually true of Alberta - most small towns in southern Alberta are dieing on their feet and taking the real rural Albertan lifestyle with them, while some (eg.Okotoks, Canmore, Vulcan) are thriving by turning into commuter dormitories, retirement settlements or trendy resorts for Calgarians.

Old Sep 8th 2004, 10:20 pm
squarepants

We have Tim Hortons, they don't

QUOTE=Glaswegian]Can we close this thread now?

I think you got the point .... we have crime, we have drugs, you have to work, you have to pay taxes, true there's no TV license - but you have to pay for cable or make do with 5 channels.

Oh, one more thing, the sidewalks are made of concrete too .... that gold thing was myth as well.[/QUOTE]

Old Sep 8th 2004, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Talking Re: Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Nope, you're actually expected to earn your keep once you get here and they even tax you on your earnings too!!
And then after paying your income tax every year, keep sending you an assessment notice asking for more money!!!!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:33 pm
squarepants

Most of us are used to those 5 channels coming from the UK anyway Yes....the pavement thing

Can we close this thread now?

Oh, one more thing, the sidewalks are made of concrete too .... that gold thing was myth as well.

Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Chester Copperpot is on a distinguished road

But Canada doesn't have a 'language' like this one:- http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vl...cots/index.htm

Thought It might interest someone as there seem to be quite a few scottish posters.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:47 pm
squarepants

Pardon me ( inside joke here, everyone says it ) There are a few that are worst than that here, culminating out of Eastern Europe

Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot
But Canada doesn't have a 'language' like this one:- http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vl...cots/index.htm

Thought It might interest someone as there seem to be quite a few scottish posters.

Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:16 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot

I reads like something written by the guy who does "the Broons" in the Sunday Post - I bet somebody got an EU grant to write it.

It's a strange mixture of bad spelling, poor grammar and words from the time of Robert Burns - if a non-Scot handed me something like that I'd deck them.

Old Sep 10th 2004, 4:35 pm
Photographer and climber

BaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Don't people ever protest in the UK?
Yes, all the time. When London isn't gridlocked with traffic it is often gridlocked with thousands of people.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:35 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by BaldCoder
Yes, all the time. When London isn't gridlocked with traffic it is often gridlocked with thousands of people.
Apart from the big protests during the G8 in Kanaskis - a lot of the protesters appeared to be stoned anyway, so it was very peaceful - not much happens in Calgary. Sometimes you get a little cluster of people outside the town hall with placards. Nothing at all like the Mayday highjinks in London - I just couldn't imagine that happening here.

Old Sep 10th 2004, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Talking Re: Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Apart from the big protests during the G8 in Kanaskis - a lot of the protesters appeared to be stoned anyway, so it was very peaceful - not much happens in Calgary. Sometimes you get a little cluster of people outside the town hall with placards. Nothing at all like the Mayday highjinks in London - I just couldn't imagine that happening here.
We get lots and lots of protests in BC especially after the Liberal govt took power and started on their rampage of cutting budgets. The protests ran from small ones to a day protests from all the unions throughout BC.

We had at one point - protesters camping on the Legislative lawn for many days to protest the Liberal govt - think it was called "Campbellville".

But then we're known for our protests.

When we were in London in March - there was a huge protest against the Iraq war in one section of town - we were taking a bus tour of the city and there were streets closed - and police with guns and everything at the ready!!!!! Some protesters had taken over a building were on the roof, with large signs - interesting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.