Reload this Page >

Can we get BBC iplayer

Can we get BBC iplayer

Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:51 am
Just Joined

EmmaB3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can we get BBC iplayer

Hi everyone,
We're flying over in a few weeks time to live in New Brunswick . Most of our questions have been answered but one that has caused considerable debate is whether we'll be able to access BBC iplayer online once we're in Canada. Does anyone know? Trivial I know, but every little helps!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice
Default Re: Can we get BBC iplayer

Originally Posted by EmmaB3
Hi everyone,
We're flying over in a few weeks time to live in New Brunswick . Most of our questions have been answered but one that has caused considerable debate is whether we'll be able to access BBC iplayer online once we're in Canada. Does anyone know? Trivial I know, but every little helps!
Hi, we're coming over to Nova Scotia in April, and I've been wondering the same thing. I don't watch a lot of tv but there are a few programmes that I will miss. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can't get BBC iPlayer elsewhere because you're not using a UK ISP. I might be wrong, but I'm sure somebody will be able to tell us. Having said that I do remember watching Wimbledon via the iPlayer and seeing there was one for International viewing, but perhaps it's different for Wimbledon. There may be more demand for that abroad, as compared to something like 'Mastermind'!:-)
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Can we get BBC iplayer

Yes, I've heard that cos we wouldn't be using a UK isp we won't be able to get it. Shame though if that is true as I'll miss some Brit programmes - Lark Rise is just starting another series!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:08 am
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

No....iplayer is not licensed outside the UK.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

The answer is no. At the moment you cannot access places like BBC IPlayer from NS/NB, although apparantly the Beeb is looking into the possibility of a paid for subscription regardless of location. I should imagine this will take a while before we actually get access. However you can subscribe to companies like: My Private Network

(https://www.my-private-network.co.uk...emid=2&lang=en)

who basically offer a paid for link from your location to their servers in the UK, and from their servers to UK sites. This means when you attempt to access restricted UK sites like IPlayer, the system believes you are in the UK and grants access.

Hope this helps.

Hubby and I will really miss the BBC - daft isn't it?

LLx
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lady Locket
The answer is no. At the moment you cannot access places like BBC IPlayer from NS/NB, although apparantly the Beeb is looking into the possibility of a paid for subscription regardless of location. I should imagine this will take a while before we actually get access. However you can subscribe to companies like: My Private Network

(https://www.my-private-network.co.uk...emid=2&lang=en)

who basically offer a paid for link from your location to their servers in the UK, and from their servers to UK sites. This means when you attempt to access restricted UK sites like IPlayer, the system believes you are in the UK and grants access.

Hope this helps.

Hubby and I will really miss the BBC - daft isn't it?

LLx
Thanks for that. I've made a note of it. Yes, it does seem daft, doesn't it? Things like Lark Rise, Flog it!, Wallender are things that I will miss, plus 'Last Night at The Proms', although I'll get that by listening to the radio online.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:01 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

A (much better in my opinion) widely used alternative is BitTorrent. Most decent UK programming is available for download on sites like UKNova and TheBox, a lot of it very quickly after airing in the UK. (e.g. I watch Eastenders every evening the same day as it's been on in the UK).

Plenty of threads of BitTorrent and how it works in The Lab.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

I know some people who use a company called HideIVPN to get both the BBC and ITV iPlayers from Calgary (I guess it will work from anywhere in Canada). I have seen a laptop connected to the TV and the quality is quite good. BBC looks a little better than ITV.
Sam
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:38 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

A great deal depends on how desperate you are and how much you're willing to pay. For about $30 monthly I get access to both BBC and ITV iPlayers as well as live streamed UK TV (about 30 channels) and other stuff. It's worth it to me and, fortunately, I can afford it. There are other and cheaper ways to get it apparently, but I'm not sufficiently computer knowledgeable to try those.
I have my BBC iPlayer Desktop fully loaded at the moment with stuff like Wallander, Silent Witness etc.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:10 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

we use uknova..............
i wouldnt pay for bbc iplayer when there is stations out there that offer the same service for free
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
we use uknova..............
i wouldnt pay for bbc iplayer when there is stations out there that offer the same service for free
Same here. There's nothing on iplayer that you cant get from UKNova/EZTV etc....
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:26 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.xroxy.com/proxylist.php?p...ability=#table

List of uk based proxys. I would not image performance would be great for streaming, but I'm sure you could download content.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:39 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard people are having success with Foxy Proxy and a decent UK proxy.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tonrob
A (much better in my opinion) widely used alternative is BitTorrent. Most decent UK programming is available for download on sites like UKNova and TheBox, a lot of it very quickly after airing in the UK. (e.g. I watch Eastenders every evening the same day as it's been on in the UK).

Plenty of threads of BitTorrent and how it works in The Lab.
Thanks for that; it's useful to know.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you - we'll look into all of that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.