Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can we afford to live in Canada?

Can we afford to live in Canada?

Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:26 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we afford to live in Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I got a speeding ticket on the weekend. And breathlyzed. The cop kindly reduced the speed from 123 on the gun to 95. That's something good about living in the country, the police seem reluctant to issue a ticket with points to someone who needs to drive.
That's a crazy 76mph, how on earth did you maintain control?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
That's a crazy 76mph, how on earth did you maintain control?
It was alright, the weather was bad so I was able to bounce between the snow drifts.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

TheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura aboutTheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura aboutTheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Ok, back on topic

The meeting seemed to go well, but as you know, untill you have something in writing it's still not time to get too excited.

If this happens it will happen quickly (relatively speaking). The magnitude of moving our entire life to another continent within a year is mind-blowing, lol.
Hi! Found your thread interesting as my OH is also a pump person!! Good luck with it hope it goes well. It may certainly go fast for you if it happens. We moved about 3 months after we got the job offer (also intra-company) but it only took that long as I took a medical for my open work permit as I'm a teacher (or was not doing that at the moment!).

Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:09 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I got a speeding ticket on the weekend. And breathlyzed. The cop kindly reduced the speed from 123 on the gun to 95. That's something good about living in the country, the police seem reluctant to issue a ticket with points to someone who needs to drive.
I got pulled 2 weeks ago. The cop reduced the ticket from 136 on the gun to a kindly 130km/h on the ticket.

Didn't get breathalysed though.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:10 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alison33
I moved over with two boys and at the time of our move they were 11 and 14. The youngest (also called Ross) was put into Grade 6 at the local elementary with his peers (although he was pissed at having to repeat that year (6 months). I'm glad that's were he started as he had a chance to make new friends and get used to the new school system (which does vary alot as he knew nothing about canadian history, french etc). He is now in grade 8 at Middle School and loving it and will move to the High School in grade 10. The transition for my eldest boy has not been an easy one and we have recently pulled him from school altogether and will have to make a decision as to whether he does an online schooling program or choose to get out into the workplace (he's 16 now and also realises that in the uk he could have already finished school). We have recently been told he has severe learning disabilities as well as being on the autisic spectrum so school has never been easy. I sometimes wish we had made the move years ago but our process took over 3 yrs (which is a pity). So we now have a son who is a real social butterly and one that prefers to socially isolate himself from others and us too. I wish you all the very best and am sure that at the ages your kids are now they'll do just fine and will probably pick up the local accent in a spit.
Thanks Alison.

We did think about our kids a LOT, and decided that it's now or never with regards to their ages.

I hope everything works out for you guys. I'll keep you updated on our situation.

Dave.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TheGrizzlyHattons
Hi! Found your thread interesting as my OH is also a pump person!! Good luck with it hope it goes well. It may certainly go fast for you if it happens. We moved about 3 months after we got the job offer (also intra-company) but it only took that long as I took a medical for my open work permit as I'm a teacher (or was not doing that at the moment!).

That's pretty scary. We could be over there for the summer?

Barby at our house then
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:32 am
Account Closed

My attitude to fast driving has changed a lot in the last three years.

My last "fast drive" was in my tuned 300zx.

On a quiet motorway late at night. I can't say how fast I was going, but the car was capable of 180mph (about 290 in Canadian money)

There is no better laxative than seeing a blue flashing light ahead of you when you are being that naughty.

Incredibly, due to the way the road system was laid out, I never met with the vehicle which was wearing that blue light.

I contemplated what might have been for weeks after that, and decided to sell all my big toys. I rarely go above the speed limit these days.

So, the MX-5's really are perfect for me. A bit of fun in a cute wee sports car that won't break any land speed records.

I'd love an old Cuda though, if purely for the sound and looks

Last edited by Dave n Ailsa; Feb 17th 2010 at 12:36 am. Reason: Added a picture
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Didn't get breathalysed though.
They did that because it was four and change in the morning and I said I'd had a drink. The drinks were a long time earlier. Still, I blew zero which made me wonder if the margeritas were watered, I'd have expected to register something.

Bloody inconvenient, keeping a dog in the country and socializing in the city.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

My attitude to fast driving has changed a lot in the last three years.

My last "fast drive" was in my tuned 300zx.

http://file015b.bebo.com/2/original/...283261976o.jpg
On a quiet motorway late at night. I can't say how fast I was going, but the car was capable of 180mph (about 290 in Canadian money)

There is no better laxative than seeing a blue flashing light ahead of you when you are being that naughty.

Incredibly, due to the way the road system was laid out, I never met with the vehicle which was wearing that blue light.

I contemplated what might have been for weeks after that, and decided to sell all my big toys. I rarely go above the speed limit these days.

So, the MX-5's really are perfect for me. A bit of fun in a cute wee sports car that won't break any land speed records.

I'd love an old Cuda though, if purely for the sound and looks

I saw a RHD one of those this week, it was badged Fairlady Z so I suppose an import from Japan. There are a few of those and Toyota Aristos around.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:25 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

oooooo, touch a nerve there did I?

Your views on my car choices really don't matter, and since you have nothing constructive to offer I don't really see what you are trying to acheive by posting on this thread.
Hardly. I just don't see it necessary to go down the homophobic route, showing a lack of intelligence.

I'm actually going through the process of shipping a couple of TVRs over to Vancouver for the summer so i could happily provide you lots of up to date info on this very subject...........
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by el_richo
Hardly. I just don't see it necessary to go down the homophobic route, showing a lack of intelligence.

I'm actually going through the process of shipping a couple of TVRs over to Vancouver for the summer so i could happily provide you lots of up to date info on this very subject...........
Ok ok, calm down with the homophobic thing, lol.

I was merely retaliating against your comment about me being less of a man for driving an MX5. I don't have a problem with anyone's sexuality, race or religious views, so lets drop that and move on shall we?

"A couple of TVR's" Are you twice as insane as the average petrolhead then?

I've driven a couple of Chimeras and recently had a shot of a friends Cerbera. You know the one with the rattly engine when cold, you think there must be something seriously wrong with it, lol. Picture attached.

He sold it a few months back, maybe it's one of yours
Attached Thumbnails Can we afford to live in Canada?-trev.jpg  
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:11 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I was merely retaliating against your comment about me being less of a man for driving an MX5. I don't have a problem with anyone's sexuality, race or religious views, so lets drop that and move on shall we?

I've driven a couple of Chimeras and recently had a shot of a friends Cerbera. You know the one with the rattly engine when cold, you think there must be something seriously wrong with it, lol. Picture attached.

Nah don't worry, i'm in a bad mood this week.

In all honesty, I nearly bought an MX5 back in the mid 90s and thought they were fun to drive but went to the opposite end of the scale and bought a Griffith 500.

I don't have a Cerbera purely because the earlier models were i think 1996/7 so wouldn't be eligible for shipping. I have a TVR Griffith 500 and an old school TVR S3 garaged and gathering dust up in Yorkshire. Brrruuuuuuuuuuuuum
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby sold his cerbera last year nothing rattled on that except me
very fast
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:19 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Hubby sold his cerbera last year nothing rattled on that except me
very fast
lol right on cue - I just mailed ER to tell him you'd flogged yours!!!!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
lol right on cue - I just mailed ER to tell him you'd flogged yours!!!!
oh to see a grown man cry eh hun would get along well with yours i feel, saw lots of silverado's over the past few weeks so all is ok again now