Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can we afford to live in Canada?

Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we afford to live in Canada?

Just to add to the v helpful reply from Sharkus re: intra-company transfers, this Wiki article may be of use...............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra-...ransfer-Canada
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:31 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
No
Old Feb 16th 2010, 10:03 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutley brilliant, thank you all so much

Yeah, I started a childish giggle when I read the tool comment too, lol, how immy of us.

I got a pat on the back from the boss this morning (Ailsa)

Next question: CARS

We are major Petrolheads. Our recent car ownership has included:

4 Impreza Turbos (Still got one)
4 Mazda MX-5's (Still got two)
3 Mazda RX-7
3 Nissan 300ZX Twin turbos
3 Mitsubishi Shoguns (still got one)
Mercedes 560 SEC (still got)
Chrysler Charger

You get the picture I'm sure.

My obsession is with the MX5's. I have been restoring them and turbo'ing them for friends. I even made a website for it. www.roadsterrescue.co.uk

I read on the ministry of transport site, that imported cars (over 15 years old) would be allowed in, which is fantastic news for us. Miatas over there seem quite rare. Here's a pic so you know what I'm talking about:

Has anyone taken their car with them?

One of the transport companies said I could fill the car with personal effects at no extra charge. Do you think I would be able to fill my Shogun with all my garage tools? Quite expensive to replace, and all heavy for transportation otherwise. Or am I just being a sneeky Scotsman, lol. The Shogun is 19 years old, so would also qualify. I know it's old, but I've had it forever and it's part of our family.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by john5655
try this tax calculator (ignore all the complicated bits - just input basic details and expected income)

it'll give a summary at the end including your contributions to the state pension plan (CPP) and employment insurance (EI)

http://www.taxtips.ca/calculators/taxcalculator.htm
I use this tax calculator for estimating my soon to be Canadian wage after taxes.

https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/rhpd...ctionsJul09.do

It seems detailed enough.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wolstie
I use this tax calculator for estimating my soon to be Canadian wage after taxes.

https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/rhpd...ctionsJul09.do

It seems detailed enough.
Thanks.

First thing we need to know though, is how much she might be earning, lol.

Might have an idea later today. The plant director is over at her work in Scotland as we speak and wants to meet her. All very exciting
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutley brilliant, thank you all so much

Yeah, I started a childish giggle when I read the tool comment too, lol, how immy of us.

I got a pat on the back from the boss this morning (Ailsa)

Next question: CARS

We are major Petrolheads. Our recent car ownership has included:

4 Impreza Turbos (Still got one)
4 Mazda MX-5's (Still got two)
3 Mazda RX-7
3 Nissan 300ZX Twin turbos
3 Mitsubishi Shoguns (still got one)
Mercedes 560 SEC (still got)
Chrysler Charger

You get the picture I'm sure.

My obsession is with the MX5's. I have been restoring them and turbo'ing them for friends. I even made a website for it. www.roadsterrescue.co.uk

I read on the ministry of transport site, that imported cars (over 15 years old) would be allowed in, which is fantastic news for us. Miatas over there seem quite rare. Here's a pic so you know what I'm talking about:

http://www.carartz.com/other/Cally/24.jpg

Has anyone taken their car with them?

One of the transport companies said I could fill the car with personal effects at no extra charge. Do you think I would be able to fill my Shogun with all my garage tools? Quite expensive to replace, and all heavy for transportation otherwise. Or am I just being a sneeky Scotsman, lol. The Shogun is 19 years old, so would also qualify. I know it's old, but I've had it forever and it's part of our family.
Miatas, MX-5s as they're called here, aren't rare at all.

Yes, I'd fill the truck with tools, we had a run of sending Jeeps the other way and always filled them with tyres (the price differential on tyres being huge).

Be aware that car insurance is one of those things that costs more in Canada. A driveway full of cars at $2,000/yr per car for insurance is an expensive business.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

The car insurance will be a downside for us. I currently have a Trade policy, which allows Ailsa and I to drive ANYTHING fully comp, for just under £1000 all in.

However, we are used to paying more for insurance as we have always had performance cars and off-roaders which as you know are going to be a higher bracket. It's something we are prepared to pay for since that's our hobby.

Other people can spend their hard earned cash on drink and parties, designer clothes and the like. I'd rather be under a car on a saturday night, or out the back having a barby
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

However, we are used to paying more for insurance as we have always had performance cars and off-roaders which as you know are going to be a higher bracket. It's something we are prepared to pay for since that's our hobby.
In Canada, the type of car seems to make little difference in the insurance cost. Your offroader/truck/toyota corolla/impreza wrx is going to cost you the same to insure: An arm and both legs.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The good thing about car insurance here is that the type of vehicle, high performance, RHD, off-road, whatever, doesn't make very much difference to the premium. Unlike the UK, insurance costs are not usually a factor in the choice of car. Alas, that's because all insurance is very expensive.

On edit: AX got there quicker and better.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Sorry, I thought they were rare.

I had a look on ebay to see if I would be better just buying one (or two) when we got there and couldn't find any.

Put it this way, I can (and have) picked up a 1990 - 1995 Mk1 Miata for around £700, which needs a couple of hundred to put it right. I couldn't find anything near that in Ontario, so it would be worth my while paying to bring mine over. If I'm wrong then great, It would save me a lot of hassle ;-)

Do you know if they do multi-vehicle insurance? After all, I can only drive ONE car at a time?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Sorry, I thought they were rare.

I had a look on ebay to see if I would be better just buying one (or two) when we got there and couldn't find any.

Put it this way, I can (and have) picked up a 1990 - 1995 Mk1 Miata for around £700, which needs a couple of hundred to put it right. I couldn't find anything near that in Ontario, so it would be worth my while paying to bring mine over. If I'm wrong then great, It would save me a lot of hassle ;-)

Do you know if they do multi-vehicle insurance? After all, I can only drive ONE car at a time?
57 MX-5s in Ontario on autotrader.ca.

The insurance company where I'm sitting now grants a 5% multi-vehicle discount on more than two cars per household but that's only on a small part of the premium. Last year, with two named drivers, I paid the same for each of:

2007 Beetle
1987 Land Cruiser
2004 Element

A bit less than $6,000 total. Note that cars here are all insured for "any driver" or "any driver except Joe Blow" where Joe Blow lives in the household and is known to the insurer to be underage/often convicted or whatever.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:39 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go - I can't find the info on the other companies I have, so this will have to do for starters. Remember this is a global EPC contractor (Engineering, Procurement, Construction), not a manufacturer.
(All figures gross annual salary in Canadian Dollars)

EPC Contractor #1- begins with "F"

Junior Engineer (un/part-qualified) - 49,000 - 83,000
Qualified Engineer - 67,000 - 111,000
Senior Engineer - 97,000 - 176,000
Principal Engineer (Dept. Head) - 131,000 - 249,000
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Miatas, MX-5s as they're called here, aren't rare at all.
I echo dbd's comments on MX-5's (I'm not an expert here but they have a reputation as a bit of a girly sports car or a car for men in their 50's having a mid life crisis) that they aren't rare. You really won't see them out and about in the snow (burlington would probably mean from Christmas until mid march).

You need to consider that driving with the steering wheel on the right will become a pain in the neck after a while. If you go to any drive-thru fast food place (the mecca of all cradles), or an underground parking garage requiring picking up a ticket on your own, you'll have to get out etc. As well, overtaking on a single lane road when you're on your own isn't the easiest.

You do see a few RHD cars here but they are almost always cars that aren't sold here anyway.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 1:40 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I echo the above. Insurance will be a large expense if you own a multitude of vehicles as you do.

Personally, i'd sell the lot of them and buy a proper sports car when you get over there.

Edited to add: If you're into your Japanese cars, as you look to be, i'd buy a Nissan GT-R for shits and giggles.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

LOL , you guys have no idea what an MX5 is capable of (with the right shiney bits) lol

It's femininity is what I like about it. Simple, practical design. Perfect 50/50 weight distribution, sprightly performance. Biggest selling sportscar of all time!

All they need is maybe a supercharger.........or Turbo.....maybe some Nitrous oxide

I've had my share of big engined turbo monsters, and came very close to facing the consequenses of driving too fast, so these days I take it easy in a "girly sports car"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.