Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can we afford to live in Canada?

Can we afford to live in Canada?

Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we afford to live in Canada?

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
LOL , you guys have no idea what an MX5 is capable of (with the right shiney bits) lol

It's femininity is what I like about it. Simple, practical design. Perfect 50/50 weight distribution, sprightly performance. Biggest selling sportscar of all time!

All they need is maybe a supercharger.........or Turbo.....maybe some Nitrous oxide

I've had my share of big engined turbo monsters, and came very close to facing the consequenses of driving too fast, so these days I take it easy in a "girly sports car"
Elan knock-off, innit? Throwback to when the Japanese just made derivatives of foreign products.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it doesn't hide the Elan link either.

Think it was actually designed in California, lol.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:42 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

How the Miata is perceived in N. America...
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Mazda Miata.doc (589.0 KB, 158 views)
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

LOL , you guys have no idea what an MX5 is capable of (with the right shiney bits) lol

It's femininity is what I like about it. Simple, practical design. Perfect 50/50 weight distribution, sprightly performance. Biggest selling sportscar of all time!

All they need is maybe a supercharger.........or Turbo.....maybe some Nitrous oxide

I've had my share of big engined turbo monsters, and came very close to facing the consequenses of driving too fast, so these days I take it easy in a "girly sports car"
They may handle "nicely" but they still look very dated, girly, and cheap. If you're not going to get a GT-R or a 911 GT3 RS, or like a real man get a race bike..............i suggest you order one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLtMh20qIp8
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by el_richo
They may handle "nicely" but they still look very dated, girly, and cheap. If you're not going to get a GT-R or a 911 GT3 RS, or like a real man get a race bike..............i suggest you order one of these:

Are you like the Forum Clown?

You only seem to appear when you want to rip the pish.

Seriously, if I wanted to dress up in full body leather and hang about with "men" I'd join a gay bar. Can you recommend any?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just googled GT-R and now realize that it's on my mental list of vehicles not to get behind at the traffic lights. There's an Acura that looks similar, also favoured by hat wearing ditherers. Granted I have a deep seated dislike for both rice burners and vehicles with sporty pretensions and fixed roofs but these two must attract drivers with BMW syndrome. So much time is spent admiring their reflection in their Crackberries that the Buick next to them leaves them stuck on the same day in the calendar.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Are you like the Forum Clown?

You only seem to appear when you want to rip the pish.

Seriously, if I wanted to dress up in full body leather and hang about with "men" I'd join a gay bar. Can you recommend any?
I'm merely making alternate suggestions for your vehicle "stable" when you arrive in Canada, based on my opinions.

Forum clown? Surely you have to be funny to be a clown.

Edited to add: There's no need for generalised homophobia on this site

Last edited by el_richo; Feb 16th 2010 at 3:24 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:24 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've just googled GT-R and now realize that it's on my mental list of vehicles not to get behind at the traffic lights. There's an Acura that looks similar, also favoured by hat wearing ditherers. Granted I have a deep seated dislike for both rice burners and vehicles with sporty pretensions and fixed roofs but these two must attract drivers with BMW syndrome. So much time is spent admiring their reflection in their Crackberries that the Buick next to them leaves them stuck on the same day in the calendar.
I always though BMW syndrome was when the driver controlled his vehicle like a twit, and lacked respect for any other road user?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I always though BMW syndrome was when the driver controlled his vehicle like a twit, and lacked respect for any other road user?
Part of which is stopping at the light and then, when it turns green, failing to move ahead in a timely fashion. See also the Pontiac Grand Prix.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:33 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by dbd33
Part of which is stopping at the light and then, when it turns green, failing to move ahead in a timely fashion. See also the Pontiac Grand Prix.
Aaah, yeah that gets my goat too. In a similar fashion to people who pull out as fast as possible from a side street right in front of you, only to slowly accelerate to a speed less than the limit.

Or with the lights.......bikers (using pedal or motor) filtering to the start of the queue only to accelerate slowly, blocking your progress. Bastards!!!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

I'm merely making alternate suggestions for your vehicle "stable" when you arrive in Canada, based on my opinions.

Forum clown? Surely you have to be funny to be a clown.

Edited to add: There's no need for generalised homophobia on this site

oooooo, touch a nerve there did I?

Your views on my car choices really don't matter, and since you have nothing constructive to offer I don't really see what you are trying to acheive by posting on this thread.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

Ok, back on topic

The meeting seemed to go well, but as you know, untill you have something in writing it's still not time to get too excited.

If this happens it will happen quickly (relatively speaking). The magnitude of moving our entire life to another continent within a year is mind-blowing, lol.

I think I'll get a family pack of Nurofen to feed my migrane habit (too much computer screen reading)

Has anyone moved over with kids at Elementary school and high school?

If so, can you be bothered giving me some advice?

(I'm going to owe sooo many people after this)
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Ok, back on topic

Has anyone moved over with kids at Elementary school and high school?

I moved over with two boys and at the time of our move they were 11 and 14. The youngest (also called Ross) was put into Grade 6 at the local elementary with his peers (although he was pissed at having to repeat that year (6 months). I'm glad that's were he started as he had a chance to make new friends and get used to the new school system (which does vary alot as he knew nothing about canadian history, french etc). He is now in grade 8 at Middle School and loving it and will move to the High School in grade 10. The transition for my eldest boy has not been an easy one and we have recently pulled him from school altogether and will have to make a decision as to whether he does an online schooling program or choose to get out into the workplace (he's 16 now and also realises that in the uk he could have already finished school). We have recently been told he has severe learning disabilities as well as being on the autisic spectrum so school has never been easy. I sometimes wish we had made the move years ago but our process took over 3 yrs (which is a pity). So we now have a son who is a real social butterly and one that prefers to socially isolate himself from others and us too. I wish you all the very best and am sure that at the ages your kids are now they'll do just fine and will probably pick up the local accent in a spit.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 10:24 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I was out clearing some snow today and saw a middle aged woman driving a minivan get pulled by an unmarked F-150, presumably for speeding - so don't expect any leniency when driving performance cars....

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to drive a monster of a car here with the speedlimits as they are....

There was an article in the paper the other day about how someone got caught doing an "outrageous" 150kph on the expressway - a whopping 93mph, how dare they do such insanity! They were charged with "stunt driving" and their car impounded for a week..... For 93mph, seriously!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 10:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by G77
I was out clearing some snow today and saw a middle aged woman driving a minivan get pulled by an unmarked F-150, presumably for speeding - so don't expect any leniency when driving performance cars....

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to drive a monster of a car here with the speedlimits as they are....

There was an article in the paper the other day about how someone got caught doing an "outrageous" 150kph on the expressway - a whopping 93mph, how dare they do such insanity! They were charged with "stunt driving" and their car impounded for a week..... For 93mph, seriously!
I got a speeding ticket on the weekend. And breathlyzed. The cop kindly reduced the speed from 123 on the gun to 95. That's something good about living in the country, the police seem reluctant to issue a ticket with points to someone who needs to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.