Reload this Page >

Burn a copy of sofware Cds

Burn a copy of sofware Cds

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

jeeshanali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Burn a copy of sofware Cds

Dear All,

I have decided to land in canada in first week of november.

I am carrying some software CDs which i have burn it from my home computer.

Will it create any problem at port of entry or exit

Thanks

Jeeshan
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:05 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Burn a copy of sofware Cds

If customs determines that you have pirated software, CD's, DVD's or anything else then you will be in troubles.

Your "explanation" that it is "your" software from your computer won't fly - you cannot copy installation CD of software from computer anyway. If you have originally purchased software with you with boxes or proof that you have the license for using it then maybe you can get through, but most software companies don't allow for making copies, even if you own the license.

If you carry CD's DVD's HD's with your own data files then you won't have problem.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:25 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
If customs determines that you have pirated software, CD's, DVD's or anything else then you will be in troubles.

Your "explanation" that it is "your" software from your computer won't fly - you cannot copy installation CD of software from computer anyway. If you have originally purchased software with you with boxes or proof that you have the license for using it then maybe you can get through, but most software companies don't allow for making copies, even if you own the license.

If you carry CD's DVD's HD's with your own data files then you won't have problem.
Always thought that Canada unlike USA had relaxed laws on this type of thing, as long as you were using the discs for your own personal use?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

POO !!!

ive just boxed up all my audio disc's and yes you guess it right i have some copies, well what shell i do now :curse:
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:36 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Always thought that Canada unlike USA had relaxed laws on this type of thing, as long as you were using the discs for your own personal use?

So is that the same as saying 'if I break into your house and steal your wifes/partners jewellery for my own personal use it is OK'
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

yea ive always told my daughter to share, come on over,
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:21 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
So is that the same as saying 'if I break into your house and steal your wifes/partners jewellery for my own personal use it is OK'
For your information "For your own personal use" is not my phrase but a phrase often used or similiar by people that either advocate or don`t advocate this type of thing.

The point of the comment, is to help the OP and anybody else that has discs such as these to determine whether they should be transporting them or not!!! Not to be the judge of their actions.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
That's rather an asinine statement.

Some people do not like to use the original discs whether they be CD's DVD's or Software so they make one copy "for their own personal use" and store the originals.

That has been an acceptable practice in Canada in the past and as far as I know it still is acceptable.

I understand that this is likely to change if the Conservatives get in with a majority and pass the copyright legislation that was proposed in the last session of parliament. That particular legislation died on the order paper with the election call but it could be resurrected in the future.

Last edited by Steve_P; Sep 23rd 2008 at 3:32 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:37 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That's rather an asinine statement.

Some people do not like to use the original discs whether they be CD's DVD's or Software so they make one copy "for their own personal use" and store the originals.

That has been an acceptable practice in Canada in the past and as far as I know it still is acceptable.
This is the case in most countries even though the big companies hate people doing it. Saying this though, most companies earn a percentage from the sale of blank discs as well anyway. Most people that I know of have made back up discs for protection etc but unless they maintain the original disc, how does anybody know its a copy from a legal original disc or from dubious sources?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

not getting involved got told off
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:20 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
not getting involved got told off
I got told off as well. Who told you off?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:05 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Indeed. You'll be tazered.

R.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:16 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Indeed. You'll be tazered.

R.
Can understand this when people go through customs but how about people that are getting stuff sent over in boxes, household removals etc. Usually customs doesn`t open up these crates, so is it a case of getting caught just being unlucky?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

i can see that SODS LAW Apearing next week, when our box's go over
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Why don't you just take your hard drive? That's what we'll do when we make the move (it'll fit in our suitcase).

Anita

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.