Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Burn a copy of sofware Cds

Burn a copy of sofware Cds

Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Burn a copy of sofware Cds

My operating system crashed last year and I nearly lost all of our digital photos from the last 7 years (No backups)...now I have everything backed up in 3 places...It was a terribly sickening feeling and I don't want to go through that again...
Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
Do I ask why you threw a PC out the window?
Just frustration with Microsoft. iirc the product that was claimed to work but didn't was called RAS, though it might have been SQL Server. I felt quite liberated, though not so much so as when I threw my phone into the sea.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Just frustration with Microsoft. iirc the product that was claimed to work but didn't was called RAS, though it might have been SQL Server. I felt quite liberated, though not so much so as when I threw my phone into the sea.
LOL, ever considered anger management classes?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, ever considered anger management classes?
That has been suggested but I think I'd do better to find another line of work.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:59 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
What I have put in bold is about the worst advice given if you intend to check it in and expect it to still be in your suitcase when you open and unpack at the other end.

Every airline say on their website that you should never pack anything valuable in your checked in suitcase.

It is also quite pointless to lock the suitcase. Because once you have checked it in you have signed over every right to have it searched without your presence and if it is locked, to be broken in to. SHould there be any damage to your suitcase due to it being locked and them having to break the locks, you are not entitled to compensation.

Anything of value should always be in your carry on.

As for copyright law, Canada and USA are stricter than most other countries. In the days of the vinyl it wasn't even allowed to make a tape for yourself to play in your car.

As for software, at least here in Sweden, it used to be recommended that you make a copy of the floppy (remember those) and store the original in a bank safety deposit box. Thus enabling you to make a copy for personal use.

As for when you sell the software or music, you sell it with the license you purchased at the time. You are not allowed to keep a copy for yourself.
Don`t agree with your idea of not locking a suitacase and its very bad advice. I have been on countless flights over the years and never once had my lock broken and suitcase searched. Remember, leaving your baggage unlocked can invite soembody to easily smuggle something in it which could lead to far more serious consequences than just a broken lock.

Why would anybody want to store original software in a bank safety deposit box??????????????????????????????????????':confuse d: Or is there something very special about software in Sweden?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:05 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tim Steer
Thanks - Wasn't trying to knock the thread or the posters as I subscribed to it before I posted as I was interested to see the outcome and peoples thoughts...I would suggest that, legalities aside, it is all down to the amount of risk you want to take..I for one have a load of "Backed Up" DVD's in case the originals get knackered and after reading this thread it has made me ask the question about whether to take them or not....I will almost defintely not...
I think when it gets onto questions about whats music / files / pictures you have on your hard drive or computer then that would be pretty much pointless to try and police...They would have to stop and search you for all manner of electronic storage devices..pen drives etc..you could even "smuggle" music on the memory card for your camera...Likelihood and therefore risk of them checking the contents of your hard drive and electronic media has got to be pretty damn low...Carrying CD and DVD copies on the other hand I would suggest carries a higher risk and is not worth the hassle..and that is not taking into account the legal rights and wrongs of copying stuff in the first place...
Cheers
Tim
Think the best advice for people carrying stuff like this is to ditch the copies in their own country and just bring the originals with them. Once in Canada they can buy a load of blank cd´s and just copy them again as blank cd`s are dirt cheap anyway. I think this could be a good idea when going through customs. But I think if you are bringing a lot a stuff (goods to follow) Just put it with your household goods and nobody would ever know.

Really, they are only interested in catching people that sell illegal copies and not personal use users.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light

Yes indeed..I can't see them going through a whole containers worth of boxes trying to track down any CDs and DVDs you might have..
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

I didn't consider taking any DVDs with me, I am currently selling my whole collection on Amazon, I figure they are all cheap enough to buy when I get to Canada.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:18 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I didn't consider taking any DVDs with me, I am currently selling my whole collection on Amazon, I figure they are all cheap enough to buy when I get to Canada.
Why don`t you sell them to Amazon Canada then buy them back from them when you are there?

Why are you selling them anyway? PAL works there if you have a universal DVD (dirt cheap) and most modern tv`s support PAL and NTSC.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Really...Hadn't even considered doing that although we do like our films and have a load...I was just planning on picking up a multiregion player over there...I think we would lose a load of money selling all of ours...
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tim Steer
Really...Hadn't even considered doing that although we do like our films and have a load...I was just planning on picking up a multiregion player over there...I think we would lose a load of money selling all of ours...
Well it depends on what sort of collection you have really. For the dime a dozen DVDs you don't get that much. I just sold Money Pit (Tom Hanks) and I got £2.97, but for the more obscure ones like All I Want for Christmas (Region 1) I got £9.80, only paid £4.00 for it! Woody Allen movies get quite a bit too!

I am selling everything as I don't think it is worth my while using precious space for things I can easily replace, especially as everything is going Blu-Ray now. Books are another thing to sell on Amazon, I have sold loads so far.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Why don`t you sell them to Amazon Canada then buy them back from them when you are there?

Why are you selling them anyway? PAL works there if you have a universal DVD (dirt cheap) and most modern tv`s support PAL and NTSC.
I know I could take them over but I have so many and I can replace them at some point in the future. Dare I say that I may, just may, keep my Dawsons Creek series Family Guy and Prison Break!
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know I could take them over but I have so many and I can replace them at some point in the future. Dare I say that I may, just may, keep my Dawsons Creek series Family Guy and Prison Break!
We wouldn't want to part with "friends" or "x files" or "Only fools and horses"..red dwarf.....damn...I think we'll be taking them all.....
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well it depends on what sort of collection you have really. For the dime a dozen DVDs you don't get that much. I just sold Money Pit (Tom Hanks) and I got £2.97, but for the more obscure ones like All I Want for Christmas (Region 1) I got £9.80, only paid £4.00 for it! Woody Allen movies get quite a bit too!

I am selling everything as I don't think it is worth my while using precious space for things I can easily replace, especially as everything is going Blu-Ray now. Books are another thing to sell on Amazon, I have sold loads so far.
Wow...We must have over 500 odd but in the grand scheme of things they won't take up that much space in the container..although...that is a very good point about Blu-ray......Good chance to upgrade...
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:34 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Never really watched prison break, but like everything here in Spain its badly dubbed into Spanish anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.