Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen?!

From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen?!

Old Aug 7th 2012, 7:24 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen

Originally Posted by Julie_Andrews
So far I'm getting quite a bit of negative comments about Canada and driving trucks there, theres got to be something good going for it surely?!
Try the Trucker forum.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:00 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen

So far I'm getting quite a bit of negative comments about Canada and driving trucks there, theres got to be something good going for it surely?!
There's a lot going for it in the same way as the UK is. No doubt trucking is different in Canada.

Unfortunately the negative things you mention about the UK exists in Canada. Both can offer a great life though.

The added advantage of moving to Canada is sometimes a change of scenery does us a world of good.

Last edited by el_richo; Aug 7th 2012 at 9:20 am.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:17 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You also have to be aware you can't get a full English at Canadian transport cafes.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:17 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

They are about to cut the Army by a 5th, making redundant 20,000 soldiers, myself included, but they still expect me to do a tour of Afghan first.
Stay safe on in Afghan.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

My company employs a Brit driver who's been over here about 4 years now. He's on the California run and it suits him nicely. He's away from home for 7 or 8 days then back for 3 or 4 then off again. They have also just employed a young driver from Eire. He loves it as well.
I have been here a year now with the family and we all love it. I don't drive rigs except around the yard so can't really comment about that side of life but what I can say is that we all come here looking for different things, yours along with my reasons may not be the most eloquent or the most profound but you will find posters on this site who feel you need to justify yourself to them. Bollocks to them .
I was in the Army when Options for Change came round. I know how you feel to a certain extent!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

Signing off was the best thing I ever done, their is so much more out in civvie street than you think.
If it does go tits up, get yourself out here, you can always go home again if you don't like it.
I'm not a trucker so can't comment on that side.
But this country does offer a better recreational side to life (in my opinion) and that's just one thing of many that keeps me happy from its down sides.

Good luck.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Julie_Andrews is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm still along way from uping sticks and moving to Canada, for a start I live in Germany at the moment and would move to England first as it would probably be cheaper to move from there. I have considered the UK for driving and where I'm from is a massive logistics hub for alot of companys because its in the midlands and has good road links. But I've been there and done that, got the tachos!! I want something more challenging on roads I don't know in trucks bigger than I've ever driven before. After living in Germany with my amazing council estate education I decided it would have to be an English speaking country! Hence why I fancy my chances in Canada...
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:31 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still along way from uping sticks and moving to Canada, for a start I live in Germany at the moment and would move to England first as it would probably be cheaper to move from there. I have considered the UK for driving and where I'm from is a massive logistics hub for alot of companys because its in the midlands and has good road links. But I've been there and done that, got the tachos!! I want something more challenging on roads I don't know in trucks bigger than I've ever driven before. After living in Germany with my amazing council estate education I decided it would have to be an English speaking country! Hence why I fancy my chances in Canada...
Deciding you want to do something new, experience something different, drive the big rigs etc are absolutely the right reasons to move to Canada.

Deciding that you want to move to Canada because you are fed up with immigrants, high taxation etc, are absolutely the wrong reasons to move to Canada. Same sh1t, different shovel and all that.

The Happy Immigrant is someone who is seeking something rather than fleeing something. Someone is able to find a job that fits their lifestyle/aspirations. Someone who is open to change rather than resistant to it. And who doesn't mind paying an arm and leg for cheese.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Julie_Andrews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Deciding you want to do something new, experience something different, drive the big rigs etc are absolutely the right reasons to move to Canada.

Deciding that you want to move to Canada because you are fed up with immigrants, high taxation etc, are absolutely the wrong reasons to move to Canada. Same sh1t, different shovel and all that.

The Happy Immigrant is someone who is seeking something rather than fleeing something. Someone is able to find a job that fits their lifestyle/aspirations. Someone who is open to change rather than resistant to it. And who doesn't mind paying an arm and leg for cheese.
I'm pretty sure I've said more positive things about wanting to move to Canada and I'm sure I've explained my want to work, it even says it in the title!