Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen?!

Wikiposts

From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen?!

Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:02 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen

Why have you long given up on the UK?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Julie_Andrews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen

I'm aiming to go to Calgary, Alberta. One thing I have confirmed so far is that they will transfer my British licence to a Canadian one there so thats not an issue. I think a bit of top-up training will be needed since I've never driven 8 axles before but there's not much else I haven't driven so I'd love to give it a go.

I'm giving up on the UK because it is giving up on me I'm facing redundancy from the army within the next few years. The economy is failing rapidly and the labour government is putting tax on pretty much everything, even my military pension won't be safe for much longer. The UK has nothing for me and I think that Canada is my safest option for my families future.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:44 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie_Andrews
The economy is failing rapidly and the labour government is putting tax on pretty much everything, even my military pension won't be safe for much longer. The UK has nothing for me and I think that Canada is my safest option for my families future.
The UK government may be many things but it is not Labour.

A little more research required on your part, methinks.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

I ment to put Labour Government got us in this mess, the current one isn't helping though!!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:32 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Julie_Andrews;10214855One thing I have confirmed so far is that they will transfer my British licence to a Canadian one there so thats not an issue. I think a bit of top-up training will be needed since I've never driven 8 axles before but there's not much else I haven't driven so I'd love to give it a go.[/quote]

You're sure they will exchange a class one license? There is a reciprocal agreement for class 5 (car and up to 5 ton), always thought AB was the same as BC, you have to retest for class one and get an air brake ticket, unless coming from elsewhere in Canada.

http://www.ama.ab.ca/registries/exch...driver-licence

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 7th 2012 at 2:37 am.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/help...iving-licences

This is what I found, I couldn't find anything more specific
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you might want to read this re Alberta driving licences
http://www.servicealberta.ca/drivers...lass_1_Licence
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:48 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I ment to put Labour Government got us in this mess, the current one isn't helping though!!
I don't think it was the Labour government at all, but you're entitled to your, ahem, opinion.

Ask in the truckers forum. I think you'll find that doesn't apply to HGV licenses.

BTW, loved you in Sound of Musak.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Don't get me started on whats wrong with the UK!!

As for the licence issue I'm begining to think it would just be a straight swop for a car licence, If I had to re-do my HGV's I'd like to think it would be worth it in the end!!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The normal car licence class 5 in Alberta is a straight swap over as per this

A valid licence from a country that has a Reciprocal Licensing Agreement with Alberta can be exchanged for a Class 5 licence when the applicant presents a valid licence of equivalent class.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:43 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me started on whats wrong with the UK!!
It's always interesting to hear what's wrong with the entire country as a whole, with hyperbolic generalisations of course.

Then we go through the process of pointing out Canada is no different (hyperbolic generalisations included).

You and others who either don't live here or are fresh of the airplane then counter what is said about Canada, and agree with your points on the UK, adding their own in the mix.

And so it continues until somebody mentions how mentally retarded religionists are, and how people who hunt for pleasure are a hairs step removed from being a serial killer.

So......what's wrong with the UK?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:03 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
High taxes, mindless beaucracy........oh hang on.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:10 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The AMA site is more specific, with a link to Service Alberta who issue the licenses. You will need to re test and do an air brake test.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute

Mate,

Do a search on the net for Cougerboots, I think it is. An ex Squaddie who did his licenses etc and truck drives all over N America.

He created his own blog / photo shop.

If you can track it down it might prove useful.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:19 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
It's always interesting to hear what's wrong with the entire country as a whole, with hyperbolic generalisations of course.

Then we go through the process of pointing out Canada is no different (hyperbolic generalisations included).

You and others who either don't live here or are fresh of the airplane then counter what is said about Canada, and agree with your points on the UK, adding their own in the mix.

And so it continues until somebody mentions how mentally retarded religionists are, and how people who hunt for pleasure are a hairs step removed from being a serial killer.

I have yet to see a good reason why the UK is shit and Canada is so great..i think both are equally shit and great at the same time...somewhat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.