Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen?!

Wikiposts

From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen?!

Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:10 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I have yet to see a good reason why the UK is shit and Canada is so great..i think both are equally shit and great at the same time...somewhat
well i suppose that's an improvement. Not long ago you were praising all things British and bemoaning all things Canadian.....
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Julie_Andrews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen

Whats wrong with England:
They tax everything and I do mean everything, we pay more fuel tax than any other country in Europe.
The Imigration policy is a joke since the EU opened up its borders, they flock in because they know they can milk the benefits.
The wealthest people in England are those that don't work and milk the benefit system.
Child care costs a fortune.
The education system is a joke.
They are about to cut the Army by a 5th, making redundant 20,000 soldiers, myself included, but they still expect me to do a tour of Afghan first.
I could go on but lifes to short, which is why I must consider other options. I decided I would emigrate years ago but after spending the last 3 years in Germany with the army I decided it would have to be a English seaking country.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:21 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie_Andrews
They tax everything and I do mean everything, we pay more fuel tax than any other country in Europe.
The Imigration policy is a joke since the EU opened up its borders, they flock in because they know they can milk the benefits.
The wealthest people in England are those that don't work and milk the benefit system.
They are about to cut the Army by a 5th, making redundant 20,000 soldiers, myself included, but they still expect me to do a tour of Afghan first.
I could go on but lifes to short, which is why I must consider other options. I decided I would emigrate years ago but after spending the last 3 years in Germany with the army I decided it would have to be a English seaking country.
You forgot about the chavs and hoodies.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:30 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Whats wrong with Canada:
They tax everything and I do mean everything, we pay more fuel tax than anyhere else in North America.
The Imigration policy is a joke they let foreign people in along with British people, it's just not on. They flock in because they know they can milk the benefits.
The wealthest people in Canada are those that don't work and milk the benefit system. Plus those who bought houses in Fort McMoney / Vancouver 30 years ago.
Canada has an underfunded and overstretched army to.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:30 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody immigrants.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:33 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Bloody immigrants.
Send 'em all home, that's what I say.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You're not real, are you? I mean a squaddie called julie.... shades of Johnny Cash or lunacy?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:38 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Did the army train you in a trade?
They expect you to go to Afghan first, (like everyone else who goes). Something about following orders, which everyone accepts when they enter the service. Maybe quite ealry if you don't want to go.
You think tax is excessive in Britain, with until you get here!
Complaining about immigrants, then becoming one is a bit hypocritical don't you think?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Whats wrong with Canada:
They tax everything and I do mean everything, we pay more fuel tax than anyhere else in North America.
The Imigration policy is a joke they let foreign people in along with British people, it's just not on. They flock in because they know they can milk the benefits.
The wealthest people in Canada are those that don't work and milk the benefit system. Plus those who bought houses in Fort McMoney / Vancouver 30 years ago.
Canada has an underfunded and overstretched army to.
We pay £1.40 to £1.50 per litre of fuel
I'm not after benefits, I've worked hard every day of my adult life. Including nearly 12 years in the army and I'm in line for my fifth tour, I think I can say I've done my bit. I just want a job.
As for the Canadian army, are they making redundant a 5th of its numbers?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
Did the army train you in a trade?
They expect you to go to Afghan first, (like everyone else who goes). Something about following orders, which everyone accepts when they enter the service. Maybe quite ealry if you don't want to go.
You think tax is excessive in Britain, with until you get here!
Complaining about immigrants, then becoming one is a bit hypocritical don't you think?
They expect us to go to Afghan with the knowledge there may not be jobs for us when/if we get back. Its my 5th tour and I'll happily go but I'd like to know my future is safe upon my return.
As for trades, I have all but 2 licences, I'm an armoured vehicle instructor, I constantly work around vehicles so thats what I see as my future.
My complaints about the Immigrants are of those that come in with no intention of working and just milking the system, I work hard, always have and will.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:49 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

We pay £1.40 to £1.50 per litre of fuel
I'm not after benefits, I've worked hard every day of my adult life. Including nearly 12 years in the army and I'm in line for my fifth tour, I think I can say I've done my bit. I just want a job.
As for the Canadian army, are they making redundant a 5th of its numbers?
Forgetting the Armed Forces slant, everything you complain about i'm afraid is not better in Canada.

Once the rose tinted specs are removed, and you become more settled into life in canada, if those things worry you, you'll be as unhappy as you are now.

Unfortunately you really need to do much more research, and think more clearly rather than empotionally about things.

Good luck, and ten four rubber duck
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You're not real, are you? I mean a squaddie called julie.... shades of Johnny Cash or lunacy?
Julie is a nick name my 1st platoon sargeant gave me with reference to the actress Julie Andrews (Mary Poppins)
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
Forgetting the Armed Forces slant, everything you complain about i'm afraid is not better in Canada.

Once the rose tinted specs are removed, and you become more settled into life in canada, if those things worry you, you'll be as unhappy as you are now.

Unfortunately you really need to do much more research, and think more clearly rather than empotionally about things.

Good luck, and ten four rubber duck
I am researching, this thread started with me asking about peoples experiences, people moaning about Canadas problem is helping me see the bigger picture, this site isn't my only source of information but it is helping me see things more clearly.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:31 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
well i suppose that's an improvement. Not long ago you were praising all things British and bemoaning all things Canadian.....
Nope i tend to highlight the good things about the UK and the crap things about Canada when people (usually in the UK) say how shit the UK is and how Canada seems to be the promised land...my feelings about Canada are no different than they were say 2 years ago.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

So far I'm getting quite a bit of negative comments about Canada and driving trucks there, theres got to be something good going for it surely?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.