Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brit-haters in Quebec

Brit-haters in Quebec

Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit-haters in Quebec

After being here for over a year, we find it's just like any other place on earth. Most people are decent, want to help and get along, but there's always the occasional dick head who wants to make an issue out of nothing. We've learned from experience that this particular type is not worth spending any energy on whatsoever, and is best ignored!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention.... we've been told they don't hate the English anything like they hate the French, who never helped with their army when they were being over-run by the Brits. Someone told me that this is why they have "Je-me-souviens" (I remember) on their number plates.

Perhaps Monty Mike or someone else could throw some light on this??
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:42 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I forgot to mention.... we've been told they don't hate the English anything like they hate the French, who never helped with their army when they were being over-run by the Brits. Someone told me that this is why they have "Je-me-souviens" (I remember) on their number plates.

Perhaps Monty Mike or someone else could throw some light on this??
I believe it means the French Canadians will never forget their French roots even though there were conquered by the English.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
I believe it means the French Canadians will never forget their French roots even though there were conquered by the English.
Correct

from wiki as I understand it

"M. Taché is also the author of the beautiful poetic and patriotic motto which accompanies the official coat of arms of the Province of Quebec — “Je me souviens” — the full significance of which cannot perhaps be readily expressed in English words but which may be paraphrased as conveying the meaning “We do not forget, and will never forget, our ancient lineage, traditions and memories of all the past”."

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 17th 2009 at 3:00 am.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
After being here for over a year, we find it's just like any other place on earth. Most people are decent, want to help and get along, but there's always the occasional dick head who wants to make an issue out of nothing. We've learned from experience that this particular type is not worth spending any energy on whatsoever, and is best ignored!
you are yet another voice of reason on this thread
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:50 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Correct

from wiki as I understand it

"M. Taché is also the author of the beautiful poetic and patriotic motto which accompanies the official coat of arms of the Province of Quebec — “Je me souviens” — the full significance of which cannot perhaps be readily expressed in English words but which may be paraphrased as conveying the meaning “We do not forget, and will never forget, our ancient lineage, traditions and memories of all the past”."
I also checked the wiki but it confirmed what I remember reading elsewhere and people telling me years ago. Up until the seventies the Quebec license plates had the less political motto 'La belle province'. According to the wiki 'Je me souviens' appears to be part of a poem by Taché:

Je me souviens/Que né sous le lys/Je croîs sous la rose.
I remember/That born under the lily/I grow under the rose.

Last edited by jandro; Feb 17th 2009 at 4:04 am.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jandro

Je me souviens/Que né sous le lys/Je croîs sous la rose.
I remember/That born under the lily/I grow under the rose.
As I understand it the lily refers to the French connection and the rose represents Britain.

I stand to be corrected though.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by immichaelcaine
Anyone seen this before? Anyone have some survival tips ?
Yes, gain a degree of reassurance from reading the mostly positive posts on this thread.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by montreal mike
you are yet another voice of reason on this thread
This thread has contained (in my opinion- and thats what forums are about, people's opinions) a lot of people talking about a few experiences they have had or things they have read and then passing them off as generalised subjective proclamations on the behaviour, character and beliefs of a large number of human beings.

The OP asked why people are so rude to him. Its a tough question to answer
but I havent had any animosity to me living here in a very French speaking part
of the city. I'd say Montreal is one of the friendliest places Ive ever lived.

That being said there are rude people everywhere, and if I had 2 or 3 experiences in a city that were of a negative type then I would feel entitled to say wow this city is full of rude people or somesuch. Whereas in fact its just bad luck that I met and interacted with 3 rude people. I could go on but i think Ive made my point.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johnehsmith

The OP asked why people are so rude to him.
I am still perplexed at the title of this thread 'brit-haters'

Seems to me either melodramatic, a gross exaggeration or simply used to grab attention.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:09 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnehsmith
This thread has contained a lot of people talking about a few experiences they have had or things they have read and then passing them off as generalised subjective proclamations on the behaviour, character and beliefs of a large number of human beings.
Generally speaking, that is.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:24 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
Oh and I hate it when they laugh because you try to speak French and get it wrong - doesn't exactly encourage people to try!!
French people the world over do this. Believe me. I'm half-Mauritian and my cousins all live in Reunion and constantly took the mickey out of my attempt to speak French.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

As said previously I thought Montreal was a great City when I was there and the people were on the main were very good.

Its the language thing I objected to though, as people have said, every other province has to put notices in both languages, yet I remember sitting on the Metro looking at a safety sign completely in French with no English translation.

Coming from Wales, I know how important it is to preserve a language as a living language, but I think its wrong to enforce firms to place French first, employ only French speakers (unless there's a need of course and they can't get enough).

My French colleagues laughed at the Body Shop and KFC, who both changed their names for Quebec but exist in the original format in France.

In Wales there are very few jobs that actually needs a welsh speaker and I know in Quebec a lot of jobe don't need the worker to speak french, but the 'language police' enforce that.

That in my opinion is what is wrong.

Oh and I remember arguing with a guy from Quebec (in a friendly way) where he insisted that Wolfe did not take Quebec..
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterF
Its the language thing I objected to though, as people have said, every other province has to put notices in both languages
Not so. Just this morning I passed a sign, "Stop", it said. No mention of arreting.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not so. Just this morning I passed a sign, "Stop", it said. No mention of arreting.

Was in Montreal over the weekend and my Canadian born-and-bred b/f was getting incredibly frustrated with the lack of English signage and I ended up having to translate, lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.