Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brit-haters in Quebec

Brit-haters in Quebec

Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:22 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brit-haters in Quebec

Originally Posted by shelley748
So would I because Quebec only complains about everything and stamps its feet when it does'nt get any money.

Quebec is holding Canada back from being a great country. Ask yourself what the true cost of "bilingualism is" don't even get me started on that.

Every single day in the Ottawa area, folk are discussing bilingualism.

I don't begrudge their culture and their language but I really get ticked off when we they impose it on us in Ontario. There are small towns just east of Ottawa that have had major arguments because the minority French are demanding services in French languages- at extra cost to the businesses there.

My best friend is French descent so don't say that I am a rascist cos I am not- but I can only speak as I find!!

As far as road signs- its a dangerous thing not to be able to read them- took us 45 minutes to get out of the park at Gatineau once, never go back to Quebec again. Anyway all Federal Roads are supposed to have dual signage and the Quebecans don't bother, yet expect us to have signs in dual language- are we playing on a level playing field? Nope as usual the French get their own way and say "stuff the rest of you. "

If we got rid of the cost of bilingualism we would'nt be facing a deficit in Canada for the next 5 years.
Hmmmm...are you sure you moved to the right province?

You sound more like some of our red neck buddies here in Alberta.

On second thought stay where you are we've got enough already.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Hmmmm...are you sure you moved to the right province?

You sound more like some of our red neck buddies here in Alberta.

On second thought stay where you are we've got enough already.
Not at all but if you live here in Ontario, especially near Ottawa, its really the "hot topic" just listen to CFRA on 580AM and you will hear it first hand.

As I said, my best friend is French, so I have no issues with that, but when a town is forced to have French because a minority wants it, and it costs business owners more money which they cannot afford in these difficult times, how is that right?

Read this article and you will see how its affecting folk who actually live here!!

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Not at all but if you live here in Ontario, especially near Ottawa, its really the "hot topic" just listen to CFRA on 580AM and you will hear it first hand.
With all due respect, CFRA does not represent the entire Ottawa region. To me, it targets the english speaking middle class population who are 55 + in age. Lowell Green foams at the mouth at all those 'damn somalis' and 'pinko bus drivers' and 'kaybeckers' etc and most people roll their eyes at his rants.

I'm in Ottawa and in eastern Ontario, for the most part the two language groups get along just fine...it is just isolated examples that the press clings to.

In all honesty, this forum is not the best place to complain about people not speaking a certain language...generally people from the UK are tragically lacking in 2nd language skills and many feel that those in continental europe should speak and offer services in english when in england itself services in a language other than english for tourists is severely lacking.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If we got rid of the cost of bilingualism we would'nt be facing a deficit in Canada for the next 5 years.
Cost breakdown please.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by clynnog

In all honesty, this forum is not the best place to complain about people not speaking a certain language...generally people from the UK are tragically lacking in 2nd language skills and many feel that those in continental europe should speak and offer services in english when in england itself services in a language other than english for tourists is severely lacking.
+1

Again , in theory , I am all for bilingualism and promoting it and keeping it. Being an Irish Gaelic speaker, I know too well how many people think govt funding for it should be done away with...
If I go to Quebec, I would fully expect not to have to speak English, nor would I want to. I suppose I am lucky enough I can speak French (not very well, but can get by easily...). The plan is to test it out there this year..
Maybe I'll get dogs abuse, but I'll wait and see
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Quebec is holding Canada back from being a great country. Ask yourself what the true cost of "bilingualism is" don't even get me started on that.
Seems to me it is the other way round. Without Quebec Canada would be just another huge American state.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

There are small towns just east of Ottawa that have had major arguments because the minority French are demanding services in French languages- at extra cost to the businesses there.
How tragic, especially when compounded by the horrendous cost of 'family day', a made-in-Ontario invention

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...15?hub=Toronto

Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:53 pm

As I said, my best friend is French, so I have no issues with that, but when a town is forced to have French because a minority wants it, and it costs business owners more money which they cannot afford in these difficult times, how is that right?
Whatever happened to tolerance and understanding.

Seems to me that we have been in "difficult times" for six months likely less.

I'm pretty sure the issues you speak of have been going on a lot longer, in other words the difficult times thing is a spurious argument.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by montreal mike
How tragic, especially when compounded by the horrendous cost of 'family day', a made-in-Ontario invention

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...15?hub=Toronto

Actually I believe Family Day is a made in Alberta holiday, compliments of Premier Don Getty in 1990.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
Oh and I hate it when they laugh because you try to speak French and get it wrong - doesn't exactly encourage people to try!!
That sounds like my wife and step-daughter who are from Quebec. Although to be fair, when I try it they think it's cute.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Montreal for 3 years now and have never come accross any Brit hating. It's true language is an issue and the driving is crap but no so sure people even care about the Brits here.

Jonathan
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cost breakdown please.
You will have to go and visit the Fraser Institute page for that because they are in the process of trying to get the information . However I attach a link to the following:

http://www.languagefairness.org/Cost.php

or in case I am accused of being biased

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...ion_of_dollars
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Seems to me it is the other way round. Without Quebec Canada would be just another huge American state.
I don't think so.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:07 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

So there are people who move from one country to another and are surprised and unhappy that not everyone reacts well when they don't speak the majority language?

In my view, its fine if you don't want to learn French, I'm sure you can live in Montreal without it, but don't expect everyone to be happy about it. If you want to speak only English, why not move to Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary and not Montreal?

FWIW have never experienced open anti-English sentiment in Quebec either, including Montreal, Gatineau area or out in the sticks in places like Gaspe. In my experience people are as friendly or unfriendly on average as elsewhere in Canada.

Have never lived in Quebec though, so I don't deny it might exist. But as others have said, making an effort goes a long way, in any country.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to go and visit the Fraser Institute page for that because they are in the process of trying to get the information . However I attach a link to the following:

http://www.languagefairness.org/Cost.php

or in case I am accused of being biased

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...ion_of_dollars

I'm with mike on this, without bilingualism there is no Canada. Still I love the second link

"What is the cost of bilingualism?"

"As of 2000 it was $18 billion per year."

it says, without explanation.

Of course, even if we believe it, it's nowhere near explaining how "If we got rid of the cost of bilingualism we would'nt be facing a deficit in Canada for the next 5 years."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.