Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brit-haters in Quebec

Brit-haters in Quebec

Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit-haters in Quebec

Originally Posted by montreal mike
well congrats for the consistency of the comments so far

and I ask myself how is it i have lived in montreal for 47 years and never experienced any anymosity

me too. Most frenchies i know i get on better with than english Canadians. Maybe my expectations are low LOL

and yes the driving is atrocious here.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
So would I because Quebec only complains about everything and stamps its feet when it does'nt get any money.

Quebec is holding Canada back from being a great country. Ask yourself what the true cost of "bilingualism is" don't even get me started on that.

Every single day in the Ottawa area, folk are discussing bilingualism.

I don't begrudge their culture and their language but I really get ticked off when we they impose it on us in Ontario. There are small towns just east of Ottawa that have had major arguments because the minority French are demanding services in French languages- at extra cost to the businesses there.

My best friend is French descent so don't say that I am a rascist cos I am not- but I can only speak as I find!!

As far as road signs- its a dangerous thing not to be able to read them- took us 45 minutes to get out of the park at Gatineau once, never go back to Quebec again. Anyway all Federal Roads are supposed to have dual signage and the Quebecans don't bother, yet expect us to have signs in dual language- are we playing on a level playing field? Nope as usual the French get their own way and say "stuff the rest of you. "

If we got rid of the cost of bilingualism we would'nt be facing a deficit in Canada for the next 5 years.
Is it really that hard to understand frenchy road signs? Most of them are pictorial here!! unlike America... A lot of signs in Toronto are English only, and out west, English is pretty much the norm.

BTW its not Quebecans, it's Quebecois...

It sounds like you should go live in America if you want stuff to be in English only.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lychee
This is exactly your problem - you're not up to date with Canadian history. A quick look up on Canadian history with Quebec will easily explain why French-speakers in Quebec don't particularly appreciate English-speakers and don't look highly to anyone of English commonwealth. As far as they're concerned, they're "pure laine" - 100% ancestry from the French pioneers who founded Quebec back in the 1600's.

Language, if you have not quite learned yet, is very much a political issue in Quebec. Language defines the person in Quebec.

The French language practically defines the French-speaking nation of Quebec. Yes, that's right - Quebec sees itself as a national separare from Canada. If you haven't yet learned yet, the majority of Quebecois francophones are fiercely passionate about preserving their French language and are willing to separate from the rest of Canada to preserve their unique French-speaking culture.

You, in their eyes, are a threat to the perseverence of their culture. They see the English language (and English-speaking immigrants) as a threat to their culture and everything they stand for. They don't see themselves as a part of the commonwealth. As far as they're concerned, they're victims of English colonialism, hence their desire to separate from Canada.
Tar each and every one of them with the same brush.

I have a lot of friends with English and French blood of equal amounts, also pure laine quebecois and they do NOT subscribe to this view.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Is it really that hard to understand frenchy road signs? Most of them are pictorial here!! unlike America... A lot of signs in Toronto are English only, and out west, English is pretty much the norm.

BTW its not Quebecans, it's Quebecois...

It sounds like you should go live in America if you want stuff to be in English only.
No I don't want stuff to be in English only,don't take my words out of context but I would have appreciated dual signage in the Gatineau Park so I could have least taken less time than 45 minutes to get out if it! If you come over the bridge in Ottawa, the minute you get to the other side, the signs are in French, there were no pictures! By the time I had looked at the map, we had gone past and I could'nt work out where the heck we were...

FYI in USA its not English only, they are having dual signage with Spanish now!!! Go to Lowes in Ogdensburg and you will see Spanish every where!! GUess you have'nt been lately!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

No I don't want stuff to be in English only,don't take my words out of context but I would have appreciated dual signage in the Gatineau Park so I could have least taken less time than 45 minutes to get out if it! If you come over the bridge in Ottawa, the minute you get to the other side, the signs are in French, there were no pictures! By the time I had looked at the map, we had gone past and I could'nt work out where the heck we were...

FYI in USA its not English only, they are having dual signage with Spanish now!!! Go to Lowes in Ogdensburg and you will see Spanish every where!! GUess you have'nt been lately!
Take you out of context, let's see... "Canada would be a great country if it weren't for bilingualism".... or words like that.

USA is an officially english speaking country.
Canada is an officially bilingual country.

Probably a good thing you stay in Ontario where it's nice and safe.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Try Watertown NY too...English and Spanish...no problem with that at all... The 'AND' aspect is the important aspect......Quebec take note...

The only Province in Canada that is not really bilingual seems to be Quebec...Bill 101 not withstanding....

Last edited by macadian; Feb 16th 2009 at 3:36 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Try Watertown NY too...English and Spanish...no problem with that at all... The 'AND' aspect is the important aspect......Quebec take note...

The only Province in Canada that is not really bilingual seems to be Quebec...Bill 101 not withstanding....
Thank you- I concur!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by neill
Take you out of context, let's see... "Canada would be a great country if it weren't for bilingualism".... or words like that.

USA is an officially english speaking country.
Canada is an officially bilingual country.

Probably a good thing you stay in Ontario where it's nice and safe.
What I meant by that was that the $ spent on "it", could be better used for the benefit of Canada as a whole!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What I meant by that was that the $ spent on "it", could be better used for the benefit of Canada as a whole!
I don't think this holds. We get routine correspondence from the council in 70+ languages. Two of them being official doesn't make a lot of difference to the cost of producing the correspondence. The same is true in the US, it may be that there's one official language and one close to official one but hospitals, the police, schools, and so on, have to deal with very many languages. The legal status of French, or Spanish, doesn't alter the need to deal with it.

The one area of significant cost in Ontario is the school system, having four school boards governing four sets of state funded schools in every district is plainly inefficient, however my answer to that is to eliminate Catholicism, not the francohonie.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
eliminate Catholicism, not the francohonie.
In many respects, do they not tend to be the same? (in Quebec)
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
In many respects, do they not tend to be the same? (in Quebec)
That may be but since Quebec doesn't fund religious schools I don't think it matters.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

gembers is an unknown quantity at this point

Good job Shelly - if you had spent less time typing your pathetic rant into this discussion, you could have googled 'quiet revolution' or 'flq' and kept your openly racist comments to yourself.

'oh, my best friend is french'. whatever. you probably chastize them for their poor grammar.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

After moving to Canada, I lived in Quebec (Montreal's South Shore) with my wife and her parents for 9 months. I never experienced any problems, particularly in Montreal itself. The neighbours barely acknowledged me - whereas one might think the new foreign spouse of an apartment building neighbour might at least attract a polite hello and I do recall my wife saying there were people who were very anti-Anglo.

I also recall several apparent inconsistencies in some of the language issues - if something was in English there had to be a French equivalent but if it was French there didn't need to be an English one (or less of a fuss was made) - but that could have been the way the English language Gazette reported matters.

Thinking of the Gazette, I now remember that the French papers were delivered to the front doors of the individual apartments (inside) whereas my Gazette was left outside the building (occasionally in the snow) but that could just have been a different carrier.

Something that is noticeable in this thread are the examples of negative attitudes changing upon the discovery that someone was Irish (for example) and not actually English. The book mentioned in the second post even recommends giving the impression one is Scottish, for example, and not English.

So perhaps the problem is more than simply not speaking French as some appear to be suggesting.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gembers
Good job Shelly - if you had spent less time typing your pathetic rant into this discussion, you could have googled 'quiet revolution' or 'flq' and kept your openly racist comments to yourself.

'oh, my best friend is french'. whatever. you probably chastize them for their poor grammar.
I apologize if you think I am being racist, I can assure you that I am not..

I will shut up.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I apologize if you think I am being racist, I can assure you that I am not..

I will shut up.
I don't think you should shut up. Anti-bilingualism is a mainstream point of view, it might even be the majority view in Canada. Nothing racist about it. In any case people are too willing to abandon an argument upon being called racist, most of us hold views which, although racist, are still arguably valid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.