Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brit-haters in Quebec

Brit-haters in Quebec

Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit-haters in Quebec

Originally Posted by TrishB
Problem I've found when travelling through Quebec is the attitude against speaking English or them even trying ... I made sure people knew I was Irish and I would tell them that in French and explain that I couldn't speak French very well. They would immediately have a change of attitude - to go from incredibly rude to friendly just because I'm Irish and not an English-speaking Canadian does not excuse them at all! I found it ironic that in the space of a few seconds they would go from not being able to speak ANY English to being able to converse well enough to be understood on the basis of my not being Canadian!
Oh and I hate it when they laugh because you try to speak French and get it wrong - doesn't exactly encourage people to try!!
This was my experience too as soon as I said I was from Ireland people's attitude changed and they excused the fact I couldn't speak French.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TrishB
Oh and I hate it when they laugh because you try to speak French and get it wrong - doesn't exactly encourage people to try!!
This is the same in many countries and could be the reason why a lot of Brits don't speak a foreign language. I lived in Sweden for a while in my mid teens and whenever I tried to speak swedish there would be howls of laughter and lots of mickey taking afterwards until I was so embarrassed that I just gave up. My friend has family in Norway and it is the same for her, which could also explain why she can read and write Norwegian but not speak it and I can read and write a little Swedish but won't try to speak it.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:21 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
This was my experience too as soon as I said I was from Ireland people's attitude changed and they excused the fact I couldn't speak French.
Quebec has a lot of old Irish roots, which has to do with history; ie. the famine. Alot of Irish familes went to French Canada for a better life, in particular because of religious reasons. A lot of Quebecers who have been there for generations have Irish surnames, for example.

Regarding the lanuage thing, the basic fact is most Quebecers I know can speak french and english, but out of pride will prefer speak french only. I would suggest that if you made a decision to work and spend your life in Quebec, learn french. Nobody will point and laugh at you, they have been butchering the english language at us for years...we're used to it

There are government programs that offer courses in french language for newcomers...you'll have a much easier time and will enjoy your life a lot more being bilingual.

P.S. I don't know french and I regret it everyday. I plan on changing that as soon as possible.

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Feb 15th 2009 at 3:24 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I lived and worked there for 9 months with a couple of English and French colleagues.

The funny thing was the French hated them

I had a great time there but just didn't like the French/English laws, if you have to create a law to ensure the language stays then thats wrong. I was told that Montreal was a very English speaking City some 20 odd years ago, it was the language gestapo that changed that.

The people we were working with had a terrible habit of speaking in French at meetings we went to, even though they knew most of us could not speak French (they all could speak English).

Lovely City though..
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Never been to Quebec, don't intend going either...anywhere in Canada I can't read the road/information signs etc...I won't be going. Problem solved! They are what they are...and good luck to them...they are welcome to Quebec....

I intend to go down East later this year...and will enter New Brunswick via Maine in the U.S....

It's all about choices...
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

halftheworldaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Spent some time last summer in Quebec City and Montreal, we personally had no problems at all, didn't find people rude at all, found them very helpful and friendly.

Generally tried to speak French as much as we could, since its the main language and if we couldn't understand they would help us out speaking in English instead.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

it's nice to see this thread has gained some perspective

it certainly didn't start out that way

(as to road signs I saw many non english signs while in Wales .. didn't bother me in the slightest)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/livinginw...say/roadsigns/

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 15th 2009 at 3:57 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilt
Generally tried to speak French as much as we could, since its the main language and if we couldn't understand they would help us out speaking in English instead.
It's exactly the same in France though, isn't it? If you try out your smattering of GCSE/O level French, you will be welcomed and helped.

I know people who absolutely hate the French (in France) and find them the rudest people ever. And I understand what they mean because there is just a different culture going on (d'oh) - but I did A level French and always managed to wobble through a few sentences, and the impact is almost immediate. And France is still a massive draw to millions of Brits every year, so things can't be that bad

Don't think it sounds like a Quebec-only issue.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Not to go off topic, but I would totally be for an independent Quebec (in theory anyways..)

And for the poster who said he would only go to places where he could understand the road signs..Are you taking the pi55? Do you just go on holidays to English speaking countries?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
it's nice to see this thread has gained some perspective

it certainly didn't start out that way

(as to road signs I saw many non english signs while in Wales .. didn't bother me in the slightest)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/livinginw...say/roadsigns/
I am aware of that...but it's irrelevant as I live in Canada. My little experience of driving in Wales (More often than not it was North Wales) was the place names/information signs and highways signs were also in English as well as Welsh Gaelic ...not the case I am told in most (if not all?) of Quebec.

Last edited by macadian; Feb 15th 2009 at 6:47 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by criodain
Not to go off topic, but I would totally be for an independent Quebec (in theory anyways..)

And for the poster who said he would only go to places where he could understand the road signs..Are you taking the pi55? Do you just go on holidays to English speaking countries?
No I don't drive in non English speaking countries...and rarely go to them anyway.......so your surmising was nearly right....

As I said earlier...it's all about choice. I choose not too....

Last edited by macadian; Feb 15th 2009 at 6:55 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:06 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Problem I've found when travelling through Quebec is the attitude against speaking English or them even trying

I suspect that this really is the issue. Why should they speak English? It is up to visitors, as much as possible, to attempt French and as this poster said, explain that your French is limited. Most Quebecers at that point will attempt to, or speak English. There are some dyed-in-the-wool French speaking Quebecers, who hate all things English, and will make no attempt whatsoever to speak English.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
I am aware of that...but it's irrelevant as I live in Canada. My little experience of driving in Wales (More often than not it was North Wales) was the place names/information signs and highways signs were also in English as well as Welsh Gaelic ...not the case I am told in most (if not all?) of Quebec.
most road signs in quebec are in french. True. but even to those who don't understand the lingo it should not pose a problem.

from the Quebec govt site

road and traffic signs include signs, pavement markings and traffic lights. For the sake of clarity, signs use very little text and many symbols, and generally speaking, can be understood at a quick glance.

The symbols and colours used on signs are for the most part standardized, according to the standards applicable in Québec but also taking international conventions into account. Green means mandatory; red means prohibitory. Yellow is associated with danger and orange with road works.

To convey the meaning of the sign, easily recognizable pictograms are used as much as possible, such as a car, bicycle, pedestrian, or railroad crossing.

In some cases, motorists still have to make an effort to interpret the sign in light of the context where it appears. For example, a pictogram of a truck generally means that the sign concerns trucks specifically, but occasionally, it applies to all vehicles that are driving slowly.

In other cases, which are fortunately very rare, the pictogram used is abstract and can only be understood if one has learned what it means. For example, you have to know that a black square tilted to a 45-angle means a dangerous substance carrier.

In summary, everything possible is done to make signs instantly recognizable and understandable, but motorists still have to study the signage system.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

There are some dyed-in-the-wool French speaking Quebecers, who hate all things English, and will make no attempt whatsoever to speak English.

That has always been the case. Hard to justify, even more difficult to explain.

The younger generation though do not seen to have these hang ups. We live in an english speaking world as far as commerce goes and the smart ones know it.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by criodain

So would I because Quebec only complains about everything and stamps its feet when it does'nt get any money.

Quebec is holding Canada back from being a great country. Ask yourself what the true cost of "bilingualism is" don't even get me started on that.

Every single day in the Ottawa area, folk are discussing bilingualism.

I don't begrudge their culture and their language but I really get ticked off when we they impose it on us in Ontario. There are small towns just east of Ottawa that have had major arguments because the minority French are demanding services in French languages- at extra cost to the businesses there.

My best friend is French descent so don't say that I am a rascist cos I am not- but I can only speak as I find!!

As far as road signs- its a dangerous thing not to be able to read them- took us 45 minutes to get out of the park at Gatineau once, never go back to Quebec again. Anyway all Federal Roads are supposed to have dual signage and the Quebecans don't bother, yet expect us to have signs in dual language- are we playing on a level playing field? Nope as usual the French get their own way and say "stuff the rest of you. "

If we got rid of the cost of bilingualism we would'nt be facing a deficit in Canada for the next 5 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.