Bridge to canadian nursing or sec? plse help

Bridge to canadian nursing or sec? plse help

Old Nov 23rd 2013, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

TKaur81 will become famous soon enoughTKaur81 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bridge to canadian nursing or sec? plse help

Originally Posted by LChris
Hi Tina

So glad you finally made it. Yes I found the SEC quite stressful and I hate role play (give me a real patient anyday!!) We moved here in March and are living in Nelson in the Kootenays so about 660km east of Vancouver. It is lovely and the scenery is just amazing and we live beside the lake. It has been really hard at times and yes I still get homesick too, so your not alone but I wouldn't go back as the lifestyle here is so much better for my kids. Someone told me it took them 18 months to really settle and get everything sorted. I hope you don't have to do a year and will keep my fingers crossed for you. Also just to give you some useful advice which might help. As you are a permanent resident you can apply to Skills Connect, they run a programme to get immigrants back into the jobs they did before coming here and they will pay 2/3 of your course fees up to $2500. The courses aren't cheap so get in touch with them as every penny will help you.

Please keep in touch. I will probably have to come through to Vancouver in March/April time to do some courses so would be great to meet up with you.

Lynne
Hi Lynne

I never want to do an SEC again! lol it was awful.. I'm finding my first 2 months here so hard...somedays i really want to be home... I have heard Nelson is a great little town... I'd love to be able to live somewhere cheaper but I don't know how to drive so living in vancouver for me good mainly cause of ease of transport. Are you working at the moment? I'm quite disheartened as I wanted to try to look for jobs as a care aide but so many places want you to have a Canadian Care Aide Certificate from a college there, they don't just want you to be on the BC Care Aide Registry ...so it just feels like my options are narrowed... So far Im doing part-time xmas work for Chapters bookstore and its min wage.. Im not sure what kind of jobs would take me on full time...

I did speak to Skills Connect, I have a career advisor there who is really nice..so may ask her about the care aide problem.. I hope I do not have to do one year either... but I guess I will have to see... Please stay in touch too : ) Im really glad you are enjoying your lifestyle out there, and I would love to meet up when you do come to Vancouver!

Tina
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

jojo69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I did my SEC assessment in November and like the others found it EXTREMELY stressful despite working as an NP in UK.
Just had my results yesterday, have to do a "nursing in canada" online course which is much better than i thought it was going to be!
Working and enjoying a position as a healthcare manager now...but always good to have a plan B

By the way Tina, I work in Trail not too far from Nelson and find the smaller rural communities so much more welcoming than the big city, and actually because there are less people I dont think its that much harder to find work although it can be quite seasonal.
Just filled a PPT position that had been vacant for over a year despite offering speciality training in dialysis. Hope it is easier for you...Ive now been here 8 months and it feels like forever (for good reasons)

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 18th 2014 at 6:30 pm. Reason: Posts merged - if you think of something you want to add, just hit the 'edit' button.