Reload this Page >

Bridge to canadian nursing or sec? plse help

Bridge to canadian nursing or sec? plse help

Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Chalky84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bridge to canadian nursing or sec? plse help

Hi,

Can anyone give me any advice. I have recently moved to Calgary and have been ongoing with my CARNA registration since Jan 2013. They have just given me the option of either completing the Bridge to Canadian nursing program (1 full academic year) or doing the full 5 day SEC assessment. I qualified sep 2011 in the uk with an Advanced Diploma in Nursing Studies. Has anyone done the full 5 day SEC who can offer me some advice or does anyone think I should just go ahead and complete the bridging course. I'm really unsure about what the best option is for me.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Charlotte
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bridge to canadian nursing or sec? plse help

Hi
I think you need to make the decision based on whether you want to do the year or go for it with the assessments- both at a cost to you.

Either way to practice here you will need one of them to enable you to sit the CRNE to gain your RN status. A lot of the UK nurses on here have advanced certification from the UK or many years experience, but we all had to start at the bottom of the tree here.
I don't mean to sound negative, I was lucky and didn't have to do the SEC's or bridging course so in that respect I cannot help.

Best of luck on your decisions and I hope it all works out well for you

Last edited by Mad Jockette; Oct 22nd 2013 at 11:52 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

TKaur81 will become famous soon enoughTKaur81 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Chalky84
Hi,

Can anyone give me any advice. I have recently moved to Calgary and have been ongoing with my CARNA registration since Jan 2013. They have just given me the option of either completing the Bridge to Canadian nursing program (1 full academic year) or doing the full 5 day SEC assessment. I qualified sep 2011 in the uk with an Advanced Diploma in Nursing Studies. Has anyone done the full 5 day SEC who can offer me some advice or does anyone think I should just go ahead and complete the bridging course. I'm really unsure about what the best option is for me.

Thanks

Charlotte
Aww Yikes Charlotte, I feel for you 5 full days?? Is that in all the area's? I am in BC, I will be doing a 3 day Paediatrics and General SEC next week, I am scared about the 3 day one, let alone 5 day. What is yours in? I qualified in 2006 , but majority of my nursing experience has been in an outpatient clinic. Is there any chance that AFTER you do the 5 full day SEC they will then tell you that you may have to do the one year bridging course anyway??
I was not given the option of bridging courses in BC I was told I had to sit the SEC first, the results of it determine what happens to me afterwards. Are you sure they don't want you to do the SEC first??

Tina
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

Where are you being offered the SEC assessments??

I thought Alberta Health Services had withdrawn the funding for SEC assessments at Mount Royal?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki Ian
Where are you being offered the SEC assessments??

I thought Alberta Health Services had withdrawn the funding for SEC assessments at Mount Royal?
Yes, there is no funding to Mount Royal for CARNA SEC's.
I was told the other day that CARNA are using a college in (please excuse spelling) Coquitlam in BC whilst they are trying to secure a place Alberta.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

peeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I have been offered the SEC assessment by CARNA at Langley BC (Kwantlen Polytechnic University.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I was offered the SEC in BC so I've decided I'm gonna do the bridging program as the SEC apparently determines which of the courses on the program you need to sit anyway so financially it's probably best to just pay for the program rather than a flight a hotel and then courses on the program. :-(
Old Oct 25th 2013, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Tina,

I contacted CARNA who said I have the option of either but if I don't do the SEC it's a full academic year to complete the bridging program (10 courses) if I sat the SEC it could have turned out I may have only had to do a couple.

Charlotte
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:15 am
Just Joined

LChris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I have just joined and came across this thread. I sat my SEC a couple of months ago and carried out a 2 day general assessment. I have been a nurse in the UK for 15 years. Another UK nurse also sat the assessment at the same time as me. My results were to do 3 courses, 250 hours of a placement and write the nursing exams. The other nurse with me had to do 5 courses, 250 hours of a placement and write the nursing exams. It will cost $1800 to do the three courses, $1000 for the placement and then the fees for writing the exams. 1 course is online and the other 2 are at Kwantlen and I have a choice of Kwantlen or TRU in Kamloops for my placement. As I live 660km from Vancouver this is going to cost me a lot in travel, accomodation and taking 8 weeks of work to do the placement. I don't know if this helps your situation or not but good luck with which ever choice you make.

Lynne
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TKaur81
Aww Yikes Charlotte, I feel for you 5 full days?? Is that in all the area's? I am in BC, I will be doing a 3 day Paediatrics and General SEC next week, I am scared about the 3 day one, let alone 5 day. What is yours in? I qualified in 2006 , but majority of my nursing experience has been in an outpatient clinic. Is there any chance that AFTER you do the 5 full day SEC they will then tell you that you may have to do the one year bridging course anyway??
I was not given the option of bridging courses in BC I was told I had to sit the SEC first, the results of it determine what happens to me afterwards. Are you sure they don't want you to do the SEC first??

Tina
Hi Tina

I came across this forum and I think we chatted for a while earlier on in the year on the canadian visa forum while we were waiting for visas. You had to postpone due to family illness. How was your SEC? and have you had any results yet? My results took about 4 weeks. Would be nice to get in touch and see how your getting on.

Lynne
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

TKaur81 will become famous soon enoughTKaur81 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Bridge to canadian nursing or sec? plse help

Originally Posted by LChris
Hi Tina

I came across this forum and I think we chatted for a while earlier on in the year on the canadian visa forum while we were waiting for visas. You had to postpone due to family illness. How was your SEC? and have you had any results yet? My results took about 4 weeks. Would be nice to get in touch and see how your getting on.

Lynne
Hiii Lynne!!

Wow its really nice to hear from you I'm in Vancouver now, have been here for nearly 2months now. I did my SEC at the end of October, my results should be coming out either end of this month or December first week I felt the SEC was awful and that I was a nervous wreck in places, I had to do a 3 day assessment, 2 days for my general and an extra day for paediatrics...Im dreading what they tell me I have to do afterwards! Hope they don't tell me I have to do 4 years again! Whereabouts are you in BC? I thought Kwantlen college was a nice place actually...though took me 2 hours to get there by public transport as don't drive.... I have a feeling I am one of the ones that may get told to do One year re-entry...lol
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TKaur81
Hiii Lynne!!

Wow its really nice to hear from you I'm in Vancouver now, have been here for nearly 2months now. I did my SEC at the end of October, my results should be coming out either end of this month or December first week I felt the SEC was awful and that I was a nervous wreck in places, I had to do a 3 day assessment, 2 days for my general and an extra day for paediatrics...Im dreading what they tell me I have to do afterwards! Hope they don't tell me I have to do 4 years again! Whereabouts are you in BC? I thought Kwantlen college was a nice place actually...though took me 2 hours to get there by public transport as don't drive.... I have a feeling I am one of the ones that may get told to do One year re-entry...lol
Hi Tina

So glad you finally made it. Yes I found the SEC quite stressful and I hate role play (give me a real patient anyday!!) We moved here in March and are living in Nelson in the Kootenays so about 660km east of Vancouver. It is lovely and the scenery is just amazing and we live beside the lake. It has been really hard at times and yes I still get homesick too, so your not alone but I wouldn't go back as the lifestyle here is so much better for my kids. Someone told me it took them 18 months to really settle and get everything sorted. I hope you don't have to do a year and will keep my fingers crossed for you. Also just to give you some useful advice which might help. As you are a permanent resident you can apply to Skills Connect, they run a programme to get immigrants back into the jobs they did before coming here and they will pay 2/3 of your course fees up to $2500. The courses aren't cheap so get in touch with them as every penny will help you.

Please keep in touch. I will probably have to come through to Vancouver in March/April time to do some courses so would be great to meet up with you.

Lynne
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Hi all would be lovely to keep in touch and see how we r all getting on I've just applied to Mount Royal university in Calgary to do the bridging course but haven't heard back yet (finger crossed) but loving it out here and don't want to go home so got to do something � ����
Old Nov 21st 2013, 9:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chalky84
Hi,

Thanks

Charlotte
5 days vs a year? Why not do the SEC? I'm not a nurse but given that kind of choice i woukd jump at the 5 day choice.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to call Kwantlen in 5 days to book my sec, they have said I need to do the sec in general nursing, maternal/newborn and child health/paediatric nursing, i'm hoping this will be just 2 days. I do feel quite nervous as I have not worked for 13 months now as arrived in Canada 14 weeks pregnant.

I was qualified for just under 4 years before I left.

Good Luck everyone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.