Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Born in Canada but left when 2 years old, would I qualify for passport renewal now?

Born in Canada but left when 2 years old, would I qualify for passport renewal now?

Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

kyleahouston is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Born in Canada but left when 2 years old, would I qualify for passport renewal now?

Hi all,

First of all this is my first post so hey!!!

I'm 31 years old from the UK and have started to consider moving to Toronto with my partner (not married) but I'm unsure about a couple of things which I hope you can help me with.

My parents emigrated to Canada years ago when my dad secured work, during that time I was born but then due to a major recession in 1982 etc my parents then moved back to the UK. I moved back to the UK with a Canadian passport which has since expired many many years ago and now I have a British passport. What I would like to know with this one is where would I stand with applying to move to Canada, would I be able to renew my very out-of-date passport or did this die off when I didn't renew it?

If I can't renew my passport am I too old to apply to live in Canada? I've read the age limit is 30?

At the moment this is my main concern as I need some clarity on the application before I can begin considering any other aspects and I don't want to ask any silly questions just yet

Hope you can help

Kyle
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in Canada but left when 2 years old, would I qualify for passport renewal?

You're already a Canadian citizen, you simply need to renew your passport.

A passport is only proof of a citizenship, and you don't lose that citizenship just because your passport expires.

HTH.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would I qualify for Canadian citizenship?

Originally Posted by kyleahouston
Hi all,

First of all this is my first post so hey!!!

I'm 31 years old from the UK and have started to consider moving to Toronto with my partner (not married) but I'm unsure about a couple of things which I hope you can help me with.

My parents emigrated to Canada years ago when my dad secured work, during that time I was born but then due to a major recession in 1982 etc my parents then moved back to the UK. I moved back to the UK with a Canadian passport which has since expired many many years ago and now I have a British passport. What I would like to know with this one is where would I stand with applying to move to Canada, would I be able to renew my very out-of-date passport or did this die off when I didn't renew it?

If I can't renew my passport am I too old to apply to live in Canada? I've read the age limit is 30?

At the moment this is my main concern as I need some clarity on the application before I can begin considering any other aspects and I don't want to ask any silly questions just yet

Hope you can help

Kyle
If you have an expired Canadian passport then you will just simply renew it and then you could move to Canada.
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/index.aspx...=international

You could still come back on a valid UK passport and show CBSA the old expired Canadian one and that would be evidence of Canadian citizenship.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in Canada but left when 2 years old, would I qualify for passport renewal no

I don't think it's as simple as a renewal. I assume that the previous passport was a child's; she OP would now be applying for an adult passport, and that requires an application for a new passport (cannot use the simplified renewal form). I also believe that if a Canadian passport has been expired for more than one year, you also cannot use the simplified renewal process.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in Canada but left when 2 years old, would I qualify for passport renewal no

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
I don't think it's as simple as a renewal. I assume that the previous passport was a child's; she OP would now be applying for an adult passport, and that requires an application for a new passport (cannot use the simplified renewal form). I also believe that if a Canadian passport has been expired for more than one year, you also cannot use the simplified renewal process.
It's still a simple process though, may not be done under the 'simplified renewal' but it is renewing it, and just a case of applying for a new one with supporting docs (including the old passport).

So fairly quick and easy in immigration terms!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You're still a Canadian citizen if you were born there. You can just renew your Canadian passport although you don't qualify for the simplified application process. This is done via the Canadian High Commission in London.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:40 am
Just Joined

kyleahouston is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the replies!! I was just really unsure of what process I would have to use, or if I had left everything far too late since having the passport but your replies definitely shed some light on this for me. I'm going to have a read over the links you've provided and make some enquiries etc before moving forward with any other plans.

Thanks
Kyle
Old Jan 17th 2014, 1:05 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah if you were born in Canada, you're Canadian, period, unless you actively naturalized in another country or your father did prior to 1977. The various complex age limits and claims, etc. only apply to people who get it via jus sanguis i.e. by descent.

The Wikipedia entry is pretty comprehensive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_nationality_law
Old Jan 17th 2014, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Yeah if you were born in Canada, you're Canadian, period, unless you actively naturalized in another country or your father did prior to 1977. The various complex age limits and claims, etc. only apply to people who get it via jus sanguis i.e. by descent.

The Wikipedia entry is pretty comprehensive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_nationality_law

The part above in bold is ambiguous (although it doesn't apply to the OP anyway). You cite 1977 for the father. However, it's not clear from your sentence whether 1977 also applies to the child or whether the child loses Canadian citizenship after naturalizing in another country at any time. I'm pretty sure you don't mean the latter because my daughter was born in Canada and became a US citizen later (both events after 1977). She remains a citizen of Canada.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

You are canadian and British... You can go to either countr freely with either passport.

Im canadian born/british too. I started getting the Spanish Inquisition at customs in Vancouver one year as I had an open ticket. The customs woman was getting quite arsey about my stay, people I was seeing, what I was doing blah blah. I just said, read where I was born.. She gave up then..
Old Jan 18th 2014, 11:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Yeah if you were born in Canada, you're Canadian, period, unless you actively naturalized in another country or your father did prior to 1977.
In general, the change to the Canadian citizenship law in 2009 means that any potential loss of Canadian citizenship prior to February 15, 1977, can be ignored. Most of those who lost Canadian citizenship that way had it (retroactively) restored on April 17, 2009.

There are some exceptions, mainly related to those who acquired Canadian citizenship by birth outside Canada to a parent who had himself or herself acquired Canadian citizenship by descent.