Bragg Creek

Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:53 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bragg Creek

Originally Posted by Iginla
Was that the programme that was on about 3-4 years ago where she was a physio and he was a paramedic that got a job in oil and gas?

I'm guessing they moved to Calgary. She was sounding a bit P'd off with the mothers group saying that they were all happy making buns and staying at home whereas she wanted to get back to work. She was waiting on her Physio reg I believe.

None the less they were set up in a nice house. I remember her walking in, looking round and going "Oh, look there's and owl", from the window at this great horned owl outside.

Saw the programme as well, and you are right, it was about 4yrs ago. They were setup with the house for a month or so, and they are to decide if they wanted to stay.

I remember the wife driving the kids to school, and the husband being setup with a job. I just hope most people don't think it's that easy when they decide to move.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

wickham is an unknown quantity at this point

Was that the programme that was on about 3-4 years ago where she was a physio and he was a paramedic that got a job in oil and gas?

I'm guessing they moved to Calgary. She was sounding a bit P'd off with the mothers group saying that they were all happy making buns and staying at home whereas she wanted to get back to work. She was waiting on her Physio reg I believe.

None the less they were set up in a nice house. I remember her walking in, looking round and going "Oh, look there's and owl", from the window at this great horned owl outside.
No they are still living in the area and very happy I understand. I have a friend who lives in Redwood Meadows (which is where they now live too).

If you like rural - then it is a wonderful area. Thing to bear in mind with Redwood Meadows is that when you buy a house there you don't own the land (leasehold) as it is Indian Reservation land. Something to consider maybe.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:17 pm
Lost again

john fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I gather from some of your other posts that you're a heavy vehicle mechanic. I imagine you'll work in the southeast industrial area, or perhaps in the northeast industrial area. Either way, Bragg Creek, which is to the southwest of Calgary, will be in an inconvenient direction for your daily commute to work.

Your signature says that your hobby is flying. If you want to pursue flying as a recreational activity, you may want to be within relatively easy distance of Springbank Airport, which is to the west of Calgary. Cochrane might be a good choice of location from that point of view. However, since Cochrane is to the northwest of Calgary, it too would be an inconvenient home base for your daily commute to work (assuming you will in fact be working in the southeast).

If you do work in the southeast, an outlying town that may appeal to you is Chestermere, which is to the east of Calgary.
Commuting to work might seem a bit far but it took me an hour to get home from work a few nights ago, usual time is about 40min. So the time taken on traveling should be about the same.

I work at London Luton Airport at the moment so I though I'd try and get a job at Springbank Airport, if Maxim doesn't work out. This may fit in with any flying I might do.

Chestermere, we had a look there but it's to flat.

But as they say "The best laid plans of mice and men"
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:25 pm
Lost again

john fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to behold

Where's all the sour gas controversy at?

Is it around there or more south around Okotoks direction?

I like Bragg Creek and the surrounding area. Bill and Allen pond is great for skating in the winter.

Personally though, too small for me. I get the feeling that everyone would know everyone elses business. Just my personal opinion.
They are drilling around West Bragg Creek in Kananaski Country. Is it really that dangerous to be near sour gas.

I like small, done big now want to do small.

Whats wrong with knowing other peoples business, So where did you go last night.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by john fisher
I work at London Luton Airport ...

No, they don't really call it that do they?

I always though London Gatwick was pushing it.

How disappointing for anyone landing looking out the windows for Big Ben etc and seeing Luton. Perhaps it's to deter immigrants
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:14 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by wickham
No they are still living in the area and very happy I understand. I have a friend who lives in Redwood Meadows (which is where they now live too).

If you like rural - then it is a wonderful area. Thing to bear in mind with Redwood Meadows is that when you buy a house there you don't own the land (leasehold) as it is Indian Reservation land. Something to consider maybe.

Or you could beleive this version:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...get+a+new+life

Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really that dangerous to be near sour gas.
You have two problems with being near a sour gas oil well.

- The first is common to any well, regardless of whether or not it is sour. If there is a blowout and it ignites then is going to be a pretty large bang. However, it is unlikely that the wells would be drilled close enough to inhabited areas for this to be a major problem since the blast radius of the fireball would not be that great.

- The bigger problem is the sour part. This generally refers to a high hydrogen sulphide content. Hydrogen sulphide is more dangerous than Hydrogen cyanide. If you can smell it then you are OK since the levels are below the danger levels. At higher (and fatal) concentrations it deadens the sense of smell so you can't detect it. So, a well blowout that did not ignite would be very very dangerous.

You will see that the well developers will produce maps with the hazardous area marked on them. I really would take these with a very large pinch of salt. The simplfied mathematical models used to predict these are very primitive and can be "tweaked" to fit the needs of the developer.

You wouldn't get me living near these. Full stop.

Last edited by Posidrive; Nov 8th 2005 at 3:08 pm. Reason: still can't spell
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:56 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Posidrive
You wouldn't get me living near these [sour gas wells].
How "near" is too near for you?

Old Nov 8th 2005, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtown
How "near" is too near for you?
Depends on the topography. Hydrogen Sulphide is heavier than air, so if the well is in a valley and you live up the hill then it is less of a problem.

It also depends upon the capacity of the well and the prevailing wind conditions, but I certainly wouldn't be happy within 5km.

The Calgary Herald showed the evacuation areas for the wells to the South East and I was less than impressed that you would be allowed to drill sour gas wells anywhere where you would possible need to evacuate from residential housing.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:59 pm
Lost again

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
No, they don't really call it that do they?
I always though London Gatwick was pushing it.
How disappointing for anyone landing looking out the windows for Big Ben etc and seeing Luton. Perhaps it's to deter immigrants
Yes I suppose it's a bit pretentious, but they do have nearly 10 million passengers a year and have plans for another runway to be built before 2012 the Olympics. Alone with plans for 30 million passengers by 2030.

But you still keep thinking of the Martini advert "Nah Luton Airport" and no matter what you call it it's still in Luton.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:02 pm
Lost again

Depends on the topography. Hydrogen Sulphide is heavier than air, so if the well is in a valley and you live up the hill then it is less of a problem.

It also depends upon the capacity of the well and the prevailing wind conditions, but I certainly wouldn't be happy within 5km.

The Calgary Herald showed the evacuation areas for the wells to the South East and I was less than impressed that you would be allowed to drill sour gas wells anywhere where you would possible need to evacuate from residential housing.
Well at least you get to die in a nice place.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well at least you get to die in a nice place.
Quite right. Bragg Creek is very nice. It was just a little too isolated for us.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:01 pm
Cowtown

It is not particularly hilly in the SE of Calgary. I too was not very impressed by the whole idea - especially when I heard that they had asked for the evacuation zone to be reduced. The reason - too many people in the zone to get them out in the required time! The answer - lets reduce the zone! We all know gas will not pass a line on a map when officials have ordered it not to!

Did you contact your MLA?

Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Did you contact your MLA?
What is an MLA?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:13 pm
Cowtown

What is an MLA?
a bit like an MP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.