Bragg Creek

Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:32 pm
Lost again

john fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Bragg Creek

Hi everyone
Do any of you live, have lived or have any comments on living in Bragg Creek and area. The good the bad and the ugly please.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:44 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bragg Creek

Originally Posted by john fisher
Hi everyone
Do any of you live, have lived or have any comments on living in Bragg Creek and area. The good the bad and the ugly please.
Pretty little hamlet. Gets more snow than Calgary. Drive in to Calgary can be a brute, Highways 8 and 22 are both just a two lane highways and seem to generate more than their fair share of accidents winter or summer, the result of aggressive impatient drivers. I had a friend and co-worker killed on Highway 8 a number of years ago in a head on collision (not his fault) on his way to work.

It has also had some problems with water quality recently, I'm not sure if this has been resolved.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

stela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nice

Hello. Was just looking at my forum, when i noticed Bragg creek!.. Yes Bragg Creek, it is a lovley place, been there a couple of times a very well to do place so to speak,alot of brits living there, alot in the oil industry. My friend has had a store there for quite a few years, and is doing very well. Are you looking to live there yourself?. It is very beautiful out there, was thinking of migrating there myself... but have opted for warmer shores down under!... . When i eventually get my visa granted.

Stela
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:54 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

When we were about to return to Calgary from back-to-back expat stints in Houston and Melbourne, we very seriously considered buying a house in Bragg Creek (or, more precisely, in nearby Redwood Meadows).

After thinking about it long and hard, we decided we'd prefer to be in Calgary, where our kids, who then were about to enter university, would have access to public transportation. Lovely as Bragg Creek is, we've been pleased with our decision to return to Calgary proper.

I gather from some of your other posts that you're a heavy vehicle mechanic. I imagine you'll work in the southeast industrial area, or perhaps in the northeast industrial area. Either way, Bragg Creek, which is to the southwest of Calgary, will be in an inconvenient direction for your daily commute to work.

Your signature says that your hobby is flying. If you want to pursue flying as a recreational activity, you may want to be within relatively easy distance of Springbank Airport, which is to the west of Calgary. Cochrane might be a good choice of location from that point of view. However, since Cochrane is to the northwest of Calgary, it too would be an inconvenient home base for your daily commute to work (assuming you will in fact be working in the southeast).

If you do work in the southeast, an outlying town that may appeal to you is Chestermere, which is to the east of Calgary.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:36 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you do work in the southeast, an outlying town that may appeal to you is Chestermere, which is to the east of Calgary.
Where's all the sour gas controversy at?

Is it around there or more south around Okotoks direction?

I like Bragg Creek and the surrounding area. Bill and Allen pond is great for skating in the winter.

Personally though, too small for me. I get the feeling that everyone would know everyone elses business. Just my personal opinion.

Last edited by Iginla; Nov 8th 2005 at 12:38 am.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Bragg Creek, is a small nice place that gets packed with visitors over the weekend...it also has the worst art showroom, run by some woman who thinks she can paint and make figures, and then sells them for a small fortune...but thats my opinion, I'm sure they must appeal to someone.

Apart from that if you are after peace and quiet, and want a house in the woods, it's for you.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:24 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iginla
Where's all the sour gas controversy at?
It's about 1 kilometre east of the southeast corner of Calgary's city limit. Here's a map .
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:36 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Apart from that if you are after peace and quiet, and want a house in the woods, it's for you.
One thing to think about is the risk of wild fires. There is some speculation that global warming will increase their frequency.

Also, in the case of Redwood Meadows, be aware that you lease the land on which your house stands. You cannot buy the land, because it belongs to the Tsuu TÂ’ina First Nation.

Neither of the above mentioned factors was a deal breaker for us. As I said, our primary reason for deciding against Redwood Meadows was the lack of public transportation. However, our inability to buy the land on which our house would have stood and the risk of wild fires helped to tip the scales.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 3:58 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Bragg Creek, is a small nice place that gets packed with visitors over the weekend...it also has the worst art showroom, run by some woman who thinks she can paint and make figures, and then sells them for a small fortune...but thats my opinion,
I hear where you're coming from.

But! ..... then I suppose she must be doing ok if she's still in business (or maybe she can afford to be),

Went to a harpist/storyteller show a few years back that was from Bragg Creek at UCal. Painful! Torture!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:32 am
judy lewis

Interesting that you should mention Bragg Creek.

Was it that programme "Get a New Life" that influenced you.

I often wondered how that person got on who moved there with his wife and children.............Anyone out there know?

Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:48 am
Deep in the red C.

Originally Posted by judy lewis
Was it that programme "Get a New Life" that influenced you.

I often wondered how that person got on who moved there with his wife and children.............Anyone out there know?
Was that the programme that was on about 3-4 years ago where she was a physio and he was a paramedic that got a job in oil and gas?

I'm guessing they moved to Calgary. She was sounding a bit P'd off with the mothers group saying that they were all happy making buns and staying at home whereas she wanted to get back to work. She was waiting on her Physio reg I believe.

None the less they were set up in a nice house. I remember her walking in, looking round and going "Oh, look there's and owl", from the window at this great horned owl outside.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:37 am
Lost again

john fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to behold

Hi thanks for replies, will answer same soon but firsthave to feed and water the kids before school.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:48 am
Lost again

Originally Posted by Iginla
Was that the programme that was on about 3-4 years ago where she was a physio and he was a paramedic that got a job in oil and gas?

I'm guessing they moved to Calgary. She was sounding a bit P'd off with the mothers group saying that they were all happy making buns and staying at home whereas she wanted to get back to work. She was waiting on her Physio reg I believe.

None the less they were set up in a nice house. I remember her walking in, looking round and going "Oh, look there's and owl", from the window at this great horned owl outside.
Yes we did see the program a year or so ago, but didn't realise it was Bragg Creek until they repeated it a few months ago. Had she walked out and said "Sh!t there's a bear over there" now would have been interesting.

The reason for Bragg Creek is this web site http://www.braggcreek.ca/. We have been out twice to the area and just like the idea of living there (we think).

Sorry must feed the kids. Back soon.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:52 am
Lost again

Originally Posted by Hangman
Pretty little hamlet. Gets more snow than Calgary. Drive in to Calgary can be a brute, Highways 8 and 22 are both just a two lane highways and seem to generate more than their fair share of accidents winter or summer, the result of aggressive impatient drivers. I had a friend and co-worker killed on Highway 8 a number of years ago in a head on collision (not his fault) on his way to work.

It has also had some problems with water quality recently, I'm not sure if this has been resolved.

Cheers
Steve
Sorry to hear about your friend. This is one of the concerns, we have about Bragg Creek, how are the roads in winter, would we need a 4x4 etc. Highway 22 didn't seem to bad, but it was the summer. This is the road I'll be using to go to work. I have a job offer with Maxim near Shepard 84st I think?.

The water problems are restricted to the hamlet only or so I've been told.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:58 am
Lost again

Originally Posted by stela
Hello. Was just looking at my forum, when i noticed Bragg creek!.. Yes Bragg Creek, it is a lovley place, been there a couple of times a very well to do place so to speak,alot of brits living there, alot in the oil industry. My friend has had a store there for quite a few years, and is doing very well. Are you looking to live there yourself?. It is very beautiful out there, was thinking of migrating there myself... but have opted for warmer shores down under!... . When i eventually get my visa granted.
Stela
Yes we intend to move there, we think. Does seem abit like little Briton, every were we went you could hear the British accent. Which store is it.

Skiing for me. Sod the heat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.