Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Better life for children?

Better life for children?

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better life for children?

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I afraid I disagree
There were and still are many places in the UK where kids can go off an play and be safer than here, simply because the UK has no dangerous predators roaming around and no rabies for the smaller animals..
Maybe the inner cities weren’t that safe, but neither are the inner cities here, the suburbs here carry all the same risks and issues that can be found in the suburbs in the UK
Moving from an inner city environment to the country side may give you a false perception on the reduction of overall crime, but you could get that by doing the same in the UK
The only difference I see is that it may be more affordable to move from a high priced UK inner city to a cheaper Canadian rural village and you’ll put up with the extremes of weather to get that
Totally agree - my two frequently play out in the street with other children from the neighbourhood and are (hopefully, touch wood, etc, etc) as safe as they can be. Granted, we live at the end of a cul de sac in a tiny village, but it's certainly achievable in the UK, albeit for more money than in Canada.

As for the lawn becoming a mudbath, I couldn't care less! I'd rather my children got fresh air and exercise every day than worry about things like that.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

indigoagain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Believe me - teachers would rather the kids were outside during recess! So would admin and the caretaker! Teachers have no problem supervising recess outside - it's much easier than having all kids in thier classrooms during recess.

How do I know? Ex Elementary/junior high vice-principal!
LOL and I don't get it myself, I'm grasping at reasons why 10 minutes outside would be a problem - how they can keep them in all day!?

As a childcare provider, the more time we spend outside clearly reflects on the moods of the children and GREATLY improves my chances of keeping my sanity
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

If we are active and engaged in our children's lives, I think both countries are great!

In the UK, we see too much evidence of a chav culture, of groups of young people with apparently nothing to do or occupy themselves better than harass and annoy others. We see too many 15 year olds drunk out of their skulls and still hanging around at 2am. We see the evidence of a bored youth who damage their parks and have no respect for anyone else's property.

I'm not sure that this element are the minority anymore. And that's the difference. Many British adults are failing their younger generations in so many ways as a broad and sweeping generalisation.

So the dedicated, spirited or adventurous ones leave the country and take their kids with them!

Canada most certainly does have that swathe of bored and disruptive teenagers, but not in the same numbers yet, and the evidence of their existence is no so in your face. Again, that is a major difference - and perception is the reality.

Canadian children strike me as confident, forward, almost brash, with sometimes limited finesse or decorum! I am frequently complimented on how polite my children are. Canadian children, with some financial backing, have a vast array of activities they can get involved in - with parents seemingly willing to go above and beyond with time and assistance to ensure their children participate.

UK children, with some financial backing, have the same opportunities. OK, so maybe they won't drive one hour down the road to go skiing, but they might drive an hour to the coast, or to a national park or to a museum. Same, but different.

It is we - the adults - who take the responsibility for those formative years. Most on this site will claim to be a responsible, caring parent. We want the best for our kids.

Personally, I think we could offer them the best in either country.

But the reality is - many people in the UK cannot afford to move far enough away from the disruptive elements. It is easier to find some space and distance in many, many parts of Canada, and be able to afford to do so.

In the UK, I'd be worried about the booze culture for my growing children. Yes, Canadians drink too but here, instead, I would be worried about the drug culture and the still-frightening attitudes to drink-driving.

And look - I haven't even mentioned the weather.

Oh, alright then - the weather. In the UK, you can go out and do stuff year-round. But it is indisputably grey there! Here, you can go out and do other stuff year-round. And it is indisputably more sunny here (albeit brass monkeys outside).

Clear skies and sunshine versus temperate climate and grey. Mmmmmm. My gardener's head would prefer the UK (or maybe bit of BC). My happy hormones would prefer sunshine. See? - torn between two lovers.

Both countries have much to offer. No right and no wrong.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

Oh, alright then - the weather. In the UK, you can go out and do stuff year-round. But it is indisputably grey there! Here, you can go out and do other stuff year-round. And it is indisputably more sunny here (albeit brass monkeys outside).

Some good points that I'd agree with Ann except for the British weather. You know I really don't remember this grey stuff that everyone seems to complain about being there all the time. At least not in the South East where I lived.

I remember plenty of bright, breezy days throughout the winter period amongst the dreary, cloudy ones. I realise that the prairie provinces have gorgeous, sunny cold days but we do here in Eastern Ontario along with the cold, grey dreary days!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Some good points that I'd agree with Ann except for the British weather. You know I really don't remember this grey stuff that everyone seems to complain about being there all the time. At least not in the South East where I lived.

I remember plenty of bright, breezy days throughout the winter period amongst the dreary, cloudy ones. I realise that the prairie provinces have gorgeous, sunny cold days but we do here in Eastern Ontario along with the cold, grey dreary days!
I also think Ann's post was a very good assessment, certainly of the UK anyway.

It's been very grey here today, non-stop rain all day - but that's the first rain we've had in weeks, it's been glorious spring days here recently. On Feb 21st it was so warm and sunny that we had lunch outside in the garden, in t-shirts!

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:18 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
But the reality is - many people in the UK cannot afford to move far enough away from the disruptive elements. It is easier to find some space and distance in many, many parts of Canada, and be able to afford to do so.

I'd say many in Canada cannot afford to move far enough away from the disruptive elements and guns are easier to come by here

It’s just that a few in the UK can liquidate their assets and make the move to Canada.
It’s worth remembering the selection criteria that gave those people the advantage to get out meant that they are theoretically advantaged in the Job market too, as well as often bringing over considerable equity.

We know about the linguistically challenged Phd taxi driver who’s disillusioned kids will grow up in the ghetto, because that advantage wasn’t real when it came to the crunch and moving back just isn’t affordable
That the worst poverty I’ve seen in Canada isn’t in the cities but in the really rural areas well off the beaten track that nobody care about
Canada isn’t a great place to be if you’re close to the bottom of the pile and many are stuck in these ruts because of the much more limited welfare here

edited in what I was getting at was that we all believe our kids will be successful and rise above the rest and get that good job.. But if they don’t I sincerely believe they have lot more to lose here if they end up on the bottom

Last edited by MikeUK; Mar 3rd 2009 at 9:29 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't remember this grey stuff that everyone seems to complain about being there all the time. At least not in the South East where I lived.
I was back in the UK in the South-East in February 08 - cool, and dry and sunny-ish. Generally damp though.

We were also back in August 08 for three weeks. Pah! One fantastic hot sunny day (the day we arrived) followed by alternating warm, cold, rainy, dry, windy. So bloody confusing And just low clouds on and off all the time.

Where I am, even when it's cloudy and grey, the cloudbase is usually really high, so I don't find it all-encompassing. I prefer the sunshine here but not the (winter) temperatures. It's a trade off.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I'd say many in Canada cannot afford to move far enough away from the disruptive elements and guns are easier to come by here
True - maybe I should have clarified my post by saying that those from the UK who can liquidate their assets are in a good position to 'upgrade' their surroundings in a way that they cannot afford to do in the UK.

I agree, many in Canada are in a terrible predicament and may never claw their way out of their 'poor' position.

Because the disruptive elements of the UK are so widespread, it's nigh-on impossible to afford to move away from them - not only due to the finances, but also down to simple population.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Wall-to-wall clouds here for days. Wet. Windy. Generally very damp and chilly. February saw a fair amount of snow. This is the North East though...
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

stepnek

We moved back to South East England and live near Dover now. We had many bright and sunny days over the last 3 winters we been back. We have our rainy/overcast days, but do get mild spells throught winter. My boys go out on their bikes in winter, rollar blade and play football at the park. We had to wait until May in Canada before we could do activities such as football outside. We enjoyed many of the winter activities in Canada, but found that 45 minutes to an hour was the time you could handle the cold outside. I was back in Eastern Canada in Feb 2008 for a week and it was dull for most of the time and had to deal with 2 snow storms.

I asked my sons about if they prefer the UK weather. 15 year old said he disliked the cold and heat/humidity and likes the UK more. 13 year old misses the snow and would like a week or two of snow in the UK.

I prefer UK weather as I can spend more time out and about in the garden, walking a mile or so to the shops in UK winter is easy. Not having to run your car engine for 20 minutes before you leave for work or spending an hour clearing the snow from your driveay so you can get to work.

My ideal situation would be living Oct- April in thr UK and May - Sept in Canada.

Photos taken last Boxing Day 2008 in Kent. Flower in our garden and view down my street. Nice sunny day?

Note: All those who are thinking of moving back to the UK. Houses in our road are under £250K with decent rear gardens i.e 20 metres x 35 metres.

Hudd

Better life for children?-dsc01064.jpg

Better life for children?-flowers.jpg

Last edited by hudd; Mar 3rd 2009 at 10:32 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hudd
s

Photos taken last Boxing Day 2008 in Kent. Flower in our garden and view down my street. Nice sunny day?

Note: All those who are thinking of moving back to the UK. Houses in our road are under £250K with decent rear gardens i.e 20 metres x 35 metres.

Hudd
How many in England live in an area like that though? Such areas do exist, but for most their reality is nothing like that.

250,000 pounds, is that supposed to be cheap? I would suggest that most on here couldn't afford such a property.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:36 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How many in England live in an area like that though? Such areas do exist, but for most their reality is nothing like that.

250,000 pounds, is that supposed to be cheap? I would suggest that most on here couldn't afford such a property.
We used to be able to, but not now. But then, we were mortgaged up the wazoo and house poor to a great degree.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
We used to be able to, but not now. But then, we were mortgaged up the wazoo and house poor to a great degree.
So did I, but most don't
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:54 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts?
Move to Southern BC
Short mild winters here.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Move to Southern BC
Short mild winters here.
We got as close as Edmonton, Alberta for a couple of months in 2006 when we stayed with my Father-in-law. Expensive though (or was) as I assume Southern BC is though don't think I'm not sorely tempted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.