Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Better life for children?

Better life for children?

Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:18 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better life for children?

Originally Posted by stepnek
We got as close as Edmonton, Alberta for a couple of months in 2006 when we stayed with my Father-in-law. Expensive though (or was) as I assume Southern BC is though don't think I'm not sorely tempted.
House prices here are definitely more expensive than Ontario.

I'd imagine you'd be perfectly happy to pay an extra $100 each month on your mortgage if it meant you'd have a short mild winter and a scorching hot summer
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:50 am
AB Realtor

Stophie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I afraid I disagree
There were and still are many places in the UK where kids can go off an play and be safer than here, simply because the UK has no dangerous predators roaming around and no rabies for the smaller animals..
Maybe the inner cities weren’t that safe, but neither are the inner cities here, the suburbs here carry all the same risks and issues that can be found in the suburbs in the UK
Moving from an inner city environment to the country side may give you a false perception on the reduction of overall crime, but you could get that by doing the same in the UK
The only difference I see is that it may be more affordable to move from a high priced UK inner city to a cheaper Canadian rural village and you’ll put up with the extremes of weather to get that
I moved from a Wiltshire town to an Alberta town, so that doesn't really wash.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:54 am
AB Realtor

Originally Posted by ann m
If we are active and engaged in our children's lives, I think both countries are great!

In the UK, we see too much evidence of a chav culture, of groups of young people with apparently nothing to do or occupy themselves better than harass and annoy others. We see too many 15 year olds drunk out of their skulls and still hanging around at 2am. We see the evidence of a bored youth who damage their parks and have no respect for anyone else's property.

I'm not sure that this element are the minority anymore. And that's the difference. ...

Both countries have much to offer. No right and no wrong.
YES YES YES! Exactly. Well said. Bravo.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:07 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

....That the worst poverty I’ve seen in Canada isn’t in the cities but in the really rural areas well off the beaten track that nobody care about
Canada isn’t a great place to be if you’re close to the bottom of the pile and many are stuck in these ruts because of the much more limited welfare here

edited in what I was getting at was that we all believe our kids will be successful and rise above the rest and get that good job.. But if they don’t I sincerely believe they have lot more to lose here if they end up on the bottom
What a brilliant post. The last part is absolutely spot on.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:47 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stophie
I moved from a Wiltshire town to an Alberta town, so that doesn't really wash.
How so?

Elaborate……
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:28 pm
AB Realtor

How so?

Elaborate……
That I haven't moved from inner city UK to rural Canada, but from & to mostly comparable places. Of course, comparing inner city UK to rural Canada would make Canada seem safer, but that's not what I'm doing.

We all have lots of options in life. We could have moved within the UK (and would have if Canada hadn't worked out). Surely also, if people don't like the grey skies in Ontario or the cold in Alberta, they could also choose to live somewhere else, in Canada or beyond. The OP simply asked why people believe Canada is better for their kids, and I replied with my reasons (weather, opportunities for kids, lack of yob culture etc) which relate to the specific location where I chose to live, not to Canada as a whole - how could they? Hopefully (s)he appreciates my (and many others) input, and will consider this when ultimately making their decision on whether to stay put, try somewhere else in Canada, or return to the UK (or even elsewhere). Everyone will have their own views about where they want to live and why, and this is a great place to share them.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stophie
if people don't like the grey skies in Ontario
If people are seing grey skies in ontario, its because their glasses have fogged up.... Mostly its sunny blue skies here.

The most sensible comment in this thread was a while back and went unaknowledged...that both Canada and the UK have much to offer those raising kids, and that there isnt really a right or wrong answer.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:51 pm
AB Realtor

Originally Posted by iaink
If people are seing grey skies in ontario, its because their glasses have fogged up.... Mostly its sunny blue skies here.

Only going by what previous posters have said

The most sensible comment in this thread was a while back and went unaknowledged...that both Canada and the UK have much to offer those raising kids, and that there isnt really a right or wrong answer.

Thought I did acknowledge that one a couple of posts back, but hey, we agree, so I guess we should leave that one there