Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Better life for children?

Better life for children?

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

redneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to all
Default Re: Better life for children?

The key is to adapt to your local conditions and life will be good.

I lived in Ft McMurray for a couple years way back when, it wasn''t too bad, I could x-country ski to and from work all winter and on my days off. It made the winters enjoyable. Most people I met just moaned.

I lived in Calgary and spent much of my free time in K-country and Banff area x-country and downhill skiing in winter, hiking/mt biking in summer. I loved it, many people I worked with spent a good chunk of their free time moaning about the lack of culture and nothing to do.

I now live in the UK, I have taken up wind based water sports. My colleagues are moaning about the weather today (as usual) (25 kts winds, cloudy and cool). I was out on the water for a few hours and it was heaven.

If you are unable to adapt and find pleasure in your local environment it's time to book that one way flight, life is too short. One persons pleasure is anothers hell.

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:25 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
There's a TV show on in the UK at the moment called "Wanted Down Under" where british familes who want to emigrate to Australia or New Zealand take the move for a test drive. Majority so far have never even been to either country yet insist it is the perfect place for themselves and their kids. So far i've i've only seen one family deicide it was for them out of 5 (i work at home by the way ).
I love that programme right now, I try to watch it each day if I can before heading in to work.

It opens up so many issues to think about.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
I'm weighing up the pros and cons because it's not clearcut for me shown by the fact that Iain has posted explaining why he thinks Canada is good for his kids.
And just to let you know, I could have written what Iain wrote, word for word. We have 9 year old and 6 year old boys and they both love living here, through all the seasons.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redneckboy
The key is to adapt to your local conditions and life will be good.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redneckboy
One persons pleasure is anothers hell.
I think you're spot on and I should have known better. I knew people would say "there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" and similar stuff.

There's nothing wrong with that but I just see the winter here as oppressive to smaller children at least (and me, so I'm already prejudiced I know) and I was interested to see a bit of a discussion about some postives that maybe outweighed the fierce conditions here.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The way people focus on the weather in both countries is indicative of why they struggle to find things to do in either country. In truth, there are very few days when the weather means there is nothing to do. We have skied in close to minus 30 and, whilst it is not ideal, it is not impossible either (more trips to the lodge are required to warm up).

We have a 6 year old and a 9 year old and both were able to cope.

In the UK the rainy days meant that we were able to go kayaking etc. It's a mind thing: if you wish to have an excuse not to do something, you will find one.

I would have thought that the weather outside does not preclude families from playing games consoles. Each to their own. I guess.

For us, the fact that it is normal for kids to play at the local play areas without being supervised by adults or without having to worry about teenagers hogging the play areas is very refreshing. The weather in Canada has never been an obstacle, but then it never was in England.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're spot on and I should have known better. I knew people would say "there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" and similar stuff.

There's nothing wrong with that but I just see the winter here as oppressive to smaller children at least (and me, so I'm already prejudiced I know) and I was interested to see a bit of a discussion about some postives that maybe outweighed the fierce conditions here.
For really small kids, like under three, the whole snow suit thing is a bit restrictive, especially the daiper years, but now she has a bit more mobility and strength #2 is almost as keen on winter activities as her older sister. Kids of course pick up on their parents attitudes too I suppose, but I like those sunny winter days and the beauty of the surroundings in our yard, which is where they spend most of there winter times outside anyway. Not so keen on the early spring slush and ice fields though, although that has its own inner charm.

Having a decent yard is probably the clincher, if I was still in the apartment and didnt have a slope to sled down and room for the rink / pool/ trampoline etc I would probably be far less positive...

Ultimately if you and your wife dont like the winter climate and feel its restrictive to the kids, then you are probably better off elsewhere if the other positives dont compensate for that. Not everyone will see the same things in the same situation, that's human nature.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 3rd 2009 at 3:54 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
That the exact same sentiments my wife has.....
She's Canadian but wants to bring the kids up in an environment where they can play outside almost all year round
People don’t get it until they see the kids stuck inside going squirly because its sunny out but -25 with the wind, or its sunny again but 30+ with humidex, west nile’s from the mosquitoes and heat stroke are a real risk
At least your Canadian wife agrees with my Canadian wife. The UK climate is one of the big things she misses since moving back to Canada.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
For really small kids, like under three, the whole snow suit thing is a bit restrictive, especially the daiper years, but now she has a bit more mobility and strength #2 is almost as keen on winter activities as her older sister. Kids of course pick up on there parents attitudes too I suppose, but I like those sunny winter days and the beauty of the surroundings in out yard, which is where they spend most of there winter times outside anyway.

Having a decent yard is probably the clincher, if I was still in the apartment and didnt have a slope to sled down and room for the rink / pool/ trampoline etc I would probably be far less positive...
Admittedly I haven't really had the chance to enjoy any aspect of the winter here with slightly older children. Our son is nearly five but severely autistic (no speech, still in diapers) so enjoying the outside conditions with him is tricky when we don't know how he's feeling. The other one is just turned two so maybe a little early yet.

You know, believe it or not I do want to see as many positives as I can here. I'm not in a hurry to move back but like everyone else I worry about the kids.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Ontario. There were lots of kids my age in my neighborhood, and we played outside all year round. In the winter there was sledding, skating, hockey, skiing... parents just bundled up the kids and pushed them out the door. Same deal in the summer: baseball, soccer, swimming, biking, frisbee...

I can't tell you if the experience was better or worse than it would have been in the UK, but we didn't want for activities.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

redneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to all

You never know untill you give it a crack.

Arriving form England it's impossible to comprehend how cold Canadian cold is until you spend your first winter.

For me complete hell would be central London, Toronto or any big city.

Canada is great if you are outdoor junkie like me but if you are a culture vulture, I can't understand why anyone would want to go there.

I think Canadians (like me) are the only ones who legitimately move to the UK seeking better weather...

Last edited by redneckboy; Mar 3rd 2009 at 3:52 pm. Reason: because
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Admittedly I haven't really had the chance to enjoy any aspect of the winter here with slightly older children. Our son is nearly five but severely autistic (no speech, still in diapers) so enjoying the outside conditions with him is tricky when we don't know how he's feeling. The other one is just turned two so maybe a little early yet.

You know, believe it or not I do want to see as many positives as I can here. I'm not in a hurry to move back but like everyone else I worry about the kids.
The daiper thing makes it really tricky, especially as he cant tell you when he is uncomfortable Before she was potty trained, our youngest was fine outside until she peed, then she got cold fast, but unlike your situation, she had no problem at all with communicating her dislike of the situation!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

hi, i have 3 kids here in Saskatchewan..15,9 and 3 ...and beleive me it gets damn cold here -44 with the wind last week..if my kids want to go outside i warn them its cold and then its there choice..they do miss more school here cos the buses dont run if it over -40 and i leave for work at 7-45am so way to early for them to go to school..we live in a rural area..i wouldnt change a thing..we have so much open space..this move was our choice and we knew what the weather was going to be like...yes the winters seem long..but back in the UK they really dont have a winter so maybe its a case of we arent used to it...it might be worth having a few holidays in different areas of Canada see if maybe your not living in the right area for you..or take a trip to the UK see if you are really missing it...ask your kids how they feel about the weather conditions?? i really dont miss the dull and dismal UK..i wouldnt have the life i have here in the UK financially as well as environmentally that we love here
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
i wouldnt have the life i have here in the UK financially
Us too.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I can't yet say whether our children will have a better life in Canada - there will be some negatives (such as not being near their grandparents, living somewhere more built up, etc) but other positives (being able to ski every weekend in winter, learning French, etc) so I suspect for them it'll balance out.

But I'm intrigued by people that say their children can't go outside in the UK because of the rain/dark/fog etc? Mine are out every day regardless of the weather - it's been tipping it down here this afternoon but they were out in the garden for nearly two hours, on their trampoline, swings, playing with animals, make believe games, etc. Yes, they got very wet and muddy but the rain certainly didn't stop them! We frequently go for long walks at the weekend as a family - and will go no matter what the weather is.

Again, I can't yet comment on how much they'll be outside in Canada (and we're going to Van so won't have the extreme cold other areas get to worry about), but I'm nonplussed at people who say their children can't go outside in the UK because of the rain. Just let them get wet!!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 3rd 2009 at 4:15 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.