Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which Bank are you with and Why ?

Which Bank are you with and Why ?

Old Apr 19th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Bank are you with and Why ?

Coast Capital Savings Credit Union.. They have a free chequing account which is actually free! Online banking and everything works pretty easy, and the customer service is the best I have ever had from a bank (comparing that to back home and the Netherlands). So If you're in the Vancouver/Van Island area I would definately pop in and have a chat with them.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 11:01 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

RBC, we went to see them on day 3 of being here with only an 8 month visitors visa and our NS nomination and they gave us a chequing account with $1000 overdraft limit (not intending to use it though!) and savings account, a mortgage (we did have more than 35% to put down so I think that helped), an unsecured credit card with $1000 limit on it.

They are so helpful and friendly too
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:55 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I would say that Aeroplan points are the best value in terms of equivalent cost/mile. Just make sure you only ever redeem for Star Alliance rewards and in business or first class.
There is a rather good award option that allows you to go from Canada to Asia, via the pacific in one direction and the atlantic in the other, so essentially it is a mini round the world (with limited stops). 120,000 aeroplan points.
Only any good if you actually fly anywhere and care about business class perks innit?
Originally Posted by Mr. Numbers
I'll join in the PC Financial love-in. Awesome deal! The only downer is no "branch network" as such but if you're just after a basic chequing account it's pretty much perfect.
You can do more advanced stuff that you cant do at the supermarket Kiosks at the CIBC branches, bank drafts, foreign currency and the like ... its just arranged by phone thats all.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that Aeroplan points are the best value in terms of equivalent cost/mile.
Not if what you want from air travel is low cost. The airport tax on free tickets from AC is about the same as paying the whole fare on another carrier. If you place great value on flying business class then, yes, the points used to "finance" the upgrade have a large nominal dollar value but, to me, a chicken in the pot or, indeed, the pot itself, is more valuable then a few hours of more comfortable seating.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:55 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not if what you want from air travel is low cost. The airport tax on free tickets from AC is about the same as paying the whole fare on another carrier. If you place great value on flying business class then, yes, the points used to "finance" the upgrade have a large nominal dollar value but, to me, a chicken in the pot or, indeed, the pot itself, is more valuable then a few hours of more comfortable seating.
I agree AC is brutal with their fees and surcharges. The trick is never to redeem Aeroplan points on AC flights (at least not long haul), but only on Star Alliance partner airlines. I did a simple comparison of YYZ-FRA. $725 in taxes etc on AC, $200 on UA (in First). It also costs less points not to fly AC.

It would be the same for economy, though I still think the difference in points to fly J or F is a relative bargain.

Last edited by lmartin999; Apr 20th 2011 at 3:01 am.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:08 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree AC is brutal with their fees and surcharges. The trick is never to redeem Aeroplan points on AC flights (at least not long haul), but only on Star Alliance partner airlines. I did a simple comparison of YYZ-FRA. $725 in taxes etc on AC, $200 on UA (in First). It also costs less points not to fly AC.

It would be the same for economy, though I still think the difference in points to fly J or F is a relative bargain.
For many people on here it would make sense to utilize something like Amex Blue Sky where your amex points = discount on any travel payment (flights, cruise, car hire, ferry trip, etc). Only problem is, it's amex so not as widely accepted.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
For many people on here it would make sense to utilize something like Amex Blue Sky where your amex points = discount on any travel payment (flights, cruise, car hire, ferry trip, etc). Only problem is, it's amex so not as widely accepted.
My free trips all derive from Amex points but using them that way is a hard choice when they also work at the Home Depot.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:38 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
For me it would depend what the redemption value of each point is. I aim to maximise this. I also work with hotel points quite a lot - the points required per free night is the same whatever the revenue rate, which is better than a flat discount. Its great for nice hotels in expensive places.

Last edited by lmartin999; Apr 20th 2011 at 3:45 am.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

ChrisBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

As a side we have the TD Travel Rewards visa card. I think it's one of the best out there. None of this crappy airmiles stuff. All your purchases give you points which you can then use towards ANY travel costs as long as you pay for the travel costs on your card. E.g. I currently have around $750 worth of points to redeem. If I wanted to use that for a flight, I'd just book/pay for the flight as usual on my card, and then call TD Visa who would then use my credit against the cost.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:41 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

For me it would depend what the redemption value of each point is. I aim to maximise this.
T'is true, however offers like Sky Blue are open for all travel payments, not limited to one alliance group.

Reading many posts on here, lots of people prefer the Canadian Affair style travel option so this would be beneficial if they take amex and don't charge a huge % for doing so. As an example.

I have a BA amex for long haul upgrades, sky blue for final payment discounts, and separate hotel memberships building points "in-house".

Each to their own though as peoples needs can differ greatly so these threads are VERY subjective so the OP should research what works better for them, not other strangers
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:42 am
Beep

Originally Posted by ChrisBoar
As a side we have the TD Travel Rewards visa card. I think it's one of the best out there. None of this crappy airmiles stuff. All your purchases give you points which you can then use towards ANY travel costs as long as you pay for the travel costs on your card. E.g. I currently have around $750 worth of points to redeem. If I wanted to use that for a flight, I'd just book/pay for the flight as usual on my card, and then call TD Visa who would then use my credit against the cost.
Same as the Sky Blue Amex, and i think RBC have one?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:47 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

All very well, but we were talking bank accounts not credit cards anyway werent we?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I bank with ING direct as they are the only people who offer a free unlimited chequing account in Quebec.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:17 am
Beep

Originally Posted by iaink
All very well, but we were talking bank accounts not credit cards anyway werent we?
Oh yeah
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

I am with BMO, though when I joined my new company, through CIBC, I had access to improved mortgage rates through a mob called 'Firstline Mortgages', which is underwritten by CIBC. They are the best part of 1.5-2% points less than BMO, CIBC, TD, etc.

Example, I have just re signed with them for 3.79%, for 4 years, fixed. They also offered 2.25% variable- but as we all know, rates are on their way up this year, hence taking the fixed option.

The only recognised 'bank' that comes close to this rate is IMG (per www.rates.supermarket.ca). They are basically a CIBC sans the overheads of a normal bank.

If you're looking for a mortgage, you could do worse than give this lot a call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.