Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which Bank are you with and Why ?

Which Bank are you with and Why ?

Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Bank are you with and Why ?

RBC For me - Only one that were interested in putting me in debt so i could build a credit history
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Decades ago, in the U.K., and Canada, most people got paid either by cheque direct from their employer, or cash-yes, cash. Does anyone remember opening the security flap on the pay envelopes to check that all the money was there?

The first company I worked for in Canada wanted to pay us by direct deposit to our bank account-if you had one that is. Banks made promises that we would never have to pay fees to hold an account. Ha, ha. That lasted a couple of years, and then the banks wanted minimum amounts in the account.

I have loadsamoney in my various bank accounts, and anytime the bank tries to slip a service charge in for falling below the minimum account balance I give them a tongue lashing, asking them if they want to lose my business for $2.00? It is very effective.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:39 am
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Presidents Choice. Its free. Actually Free, not "Free if you leave a thousand bucks sitting dormant" Free. Plus I get several hundred dollars worth of free groceries a year on top too.

TD messed me about and charged a fortune in fees/ lost interest, so I ditched them as soon as I could. Haven't looked back since.
I got all excited about PC, even looked at their website....but then see that the stores where you can get groceries from your points are in Ontario. Is that correct? we are moving to BC, do you know of a similar bank offering similar point systems please?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:54 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
I got all excited about PC, even looked at their website....but then see that the stores where you can get groceries from your points are in Ontario. Is that correct? we are moving to BC, do you know of a similar bank offering similar point systems please?
No its not. Stores associated with Loblaws cover the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loblaw_Companies

Last edited by iaink; Apr 19th 2011 at 6:56 am.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:56 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003
I have loadsamoney in my various bank accounts, and anytime the bank tries to slip a service charge in for falling below the minimum account balance I give them a tongue lashing, asking them if they want to lose my business for $2.00? It is very effective.
They are still taking the piss out of you by making you keep that minimum balance that is earning sod all though arent they
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:18 am

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

No its not. Stores associated with Loblaws cover the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loblaw_Companies
Thanks for that....what about Zehrs though?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

What about Zehrs? Its on the list. You can get and redeem points there.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:24 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are moving to B.C. Zehrs only exists in Ontario.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:26 am

What about Zehrs? Its on the list. You can get and redeem points there.
Sorry, I typed that too quickly and it made no sense....what I meant to say was I see Zehrs are only located in Ontario so in BC I could't use my PC points there. Not sure that made much more sense....
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:27 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I typed that too quickly and it made no sense....what I meant to say was I see Zehrs are only located in Ontario so in BC I could't use my PC points there. Not sure that made much more sense....
Real Canadian Superstore operates in B.C. don't they do PC points?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:28 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

You are right, it doesnt Zehrs is Zehrs, (Are there Zehrs in BC?) Doesnt matter anyway. PC points can be earned and redeamed interchangeably in any of the large range of stores that fall under the Loblaws parent umbrella. Points earned from my PC mastercard spending or bank account activity or mortgage can be redeemed at Superstore, No Frills, Zehrs, wherever...

Last edited by iaink; Apr 19th 2011 at 7:32 am.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:33 am

You are right, it doesnt Zehrs is Zehrs, the ones in BC are no different. Its just one of those wikipedia things, its not infallible, not like BE

You can use your PC points in any of the large range of stores that fall under the Loblaws parent umbrella.
I get you......thanks for your info!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

You are right, it doesnt Zehrs is Zehrs, (Are there Zehrs in BC?) Doesnt matter anyway. PC points can be earned and redeamed interchangeably in any of the large range of stores that fall under the Loblaws parent umbrella. Points earned from my PC mastercard spending or bank account activity or mortgage can be redeemed at Superstore, No Frills, Zehrs, wherever...
PC, in my opinion, are by far the best deal and they are efficient also. As for the grocery points, you always need to buy groceries, they are a far better bet than some of the "stuff" you get with other cards that you end up not using anyway.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:33 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
PC, in my opinion, are by far the best deal and they are efficient also. As for the grocery points, you always need to buy groceries, they are a far better bet than some of the "stuff" you get with other cards that you end up not using anyway.
I would say that Aeroplan points are the best value in terms of equivalent cost/mile. Just make sure you only ever redeem for Star Alliance rewards and in business or first class.
There is a rather good award option that allows you to go from Canada to Asia, via the pacific in one direction and the atlantic in the other, so essentially it is a mini round the world (with limited stops). 120,000 aeroplan points.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice

I'll join in the PC Financial love-in. Awesome deal! The only downer is no "branch network" as such but if you're just after a basic chequing account it's pretty much perfect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.