Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which Bank are you with and Why ?

Wikiposts

Which Bank are you with and Why ?

Old Apr 18th 2011, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default Which Bank are you with and Why ?

I'm with CIBC due to the fact I need Visa debit card for online
and can't get credit yet due to not being here long enough,
but I am looking at other banks.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:02 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Bank are you with and Why ?

I'm with RBC, because they gave me the moon on a stick when I first arrived (commercial mortgage, credit line etc etc).

They've f****d up several times, but been quick to rectify and on the whole I've been happy. Looked at several other options over the years, but never been convinced or offered what RBC have been able to deliver, so I've stuck with them.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:03 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

RBC because when we emailed banks before landing about immigrant accounts they were the only ones who bothered to reply

you can get a credit card as soon as you land ( secured mind you) but better than nothing
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:06 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

TD cos they are the nearest that's open 5 days a week.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
RBC because when we emailed banks before landing about immigrant accounts they were the only ones who bothered to reply

you can get a credit card as soon as you land ( secured mind you) but better than nothing
Havent got the funds for Secured credit card only just a job, and I could not get an Immigrant account as I am citizen by descent.

is there any advantage to HSBC due to being in England and Canada,

Last edited by loss; Apr 18th 2011 at 7:11 am.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by loss
I'm with CIBC due to the fact I need Visa debit card for online
and can't get credit yet due to not being here long enough,
but I am looking at other banks.
I moved to PC Financial, less fees that way. They are operated by the CIBC so your money is secure.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Was a long time customer of TD as they gave me a credit card, but they were shady and effed me over so moved to Scotia Bank, only because my work are Scotia Bank customers and its easy to do my banking at the same time as doing works banking.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:44 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loss
Havent got the funds for Secured credit card only just a job, and I could not get an Immigrant account as I am citizen by descent.

is there any advantage to HSBC due to being in England and Canada,
its not a specific immigrant account , we just emailed them when we were trying to find out how to open an account.

the credit card limit is however much you give them to put in a GIC . you could have a credit limit of 200 bucks if you wanted.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fledermaus
TD cos they are the nearest that's open 5 days a week.
My TD branch is open 7 days a week.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:44 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I have been with HSBC and Scotiabank for personal banking, and all sorts for business banking. I had a bad experience with CIBC but the others are pretty much of a muchness. Much friendlier and easier to deal with than their UK equivalents.

I am gradually moving all my business to Coast Capital Credit Union because:

a) chequing accounts are free
b) they have the lowest mortgage rates
c) They are extremely nice people.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:51 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Presidents Choice. Its free. Actually Free, not "Free if you leave a thousand bucks sitting dormant" Free. Plus I get several hundred dollars worth of free groceries a year on top too.

TD messed me about and charged a fortune in fees/ lost interest, so I ditched them as soon as I could. Haven't looked back since.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:52 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

PC coz it's free.

Have other (free) credit cards but don't have 'normal' bank accounts with them.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Have we ever had a thread about how counter service is so slow?
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:03 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

CIBC just because it's the one we dealt with when we got married.

Been with the same branch for thirty-six and a half years.

I don't think they're that much different than any of the other majors.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:32 am
Professional Cat herder

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Have we ever had a thread about how counter service is so slow?
I have noticed this. Doesn't bother me a huge amount but it oes amaze me how many mouse clicks etc it seems to take to pay in a cheque .

In the UK they literally just ran it through a machine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.