Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which Bank are you with and Why ?

Which Bank are you with and Why ?

Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:40 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Bank are you with and Why ?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Have we ever had a thread about how counter service is so slow?
It's a ploy to get you to use the ATM.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

when we first came we used TD cos they offered Free for 3 months banking, and offered us a secured line of credit incase we needed it to fall back on, but they didn't actually start charging for 2 years....once they realized they forgot and notified they were gonna start charging us, we switched too PC its free and ya get points with ya PC Credit Card and PC Debit card which gives ya money of ya groceries at Zehrs
Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loss
I'm with CIBC due to the fact I need Visa debit card for online
and can't get credit yet due to not being here long enough,
but I am looking at other banks.
HSBC because we have an HSBC Advance account with pretty good global access to our HSBC accounts in the UK.

Actually, tangential but is there a sense of a better bank for RESPs and RRSPs? HSBC have flogged us the line that they're better because they have mutual funds in international markets but who knows ... I do like the idea of topping up in our own bank to build towards premier status. Keen to start looking at this investment lark soon now we've just done our first tax return.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

ChrisBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

Well our mortgage is with Scotiabank, and they gave us an unsecured credit card as well when we first arrived in Canada 6 years ago.

Currently our joint bank account is with INGDirect, no fees, no min balance, and they pay interest. My business acct is with HSBC Direct, again no fees.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

PC:
Free (closest you'll get to a UK bank)

BMO:
First bank I came across when I moved here. If you keep $3k in the account, they waive the fees.
Tip: If you need free cheque books, just increase your balance to $5k, tell them to upgrade your account a level. Order the cheque books (10 is max). Downgrade back to $3k min balance when you receive them

CIBC VISA:
It was super easy to get a credit card with them. No annual fee and no fuss.

MBNA Mastercard:
Make sure you get this smartcash card if you can. You get 3% cashback on groceries and gas purchases and 1% on everything else.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

CanadaGeek will become famous soon enough

I would say take a look online for different banks to understand what they charge / min balance required to waive off monthly fee.
I went for Scotia bank as saw those have pretty good option for new customer. No opening balance needed. I went w/o appointment and was fortunate that they entertained my request Provided a credit card too.

While roaming in Richmond, I see that CIBC agents were really looking for ppl to take (VISA) credit cards. They even offered me for a 15K value card, however, before I really accept I wanted to research. And I politely denied that time
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:27 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC Premier, cos thats what we had in uk - no slow counter service for me - dedicated lane for the Prems
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:48 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

RBC because theres one in town and hubby is with them too. They are actually quite good as well
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It's a ploy to get you to use the ATM.
They will probably be gone soon along with many of the branches. I think they want everyone to go online. The UK are about to do away with cheques so I suppose it will be down to cash, online transfers, credit and debit cards.

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 19th 2011 at 8:37 am.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:41 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Originally Posted by johnh009
They will probably be gone soon along with many of the branches. I think they want everyone to go online. The UK are about to do away with cheques so I suppose it will be down to cash, online transfers, credit and debit cards.
My HSBC branch in the UK did not have tellers (Princes St Edinburgh). They had a lobby full of machines and employees standing around to explain to you how to use them if you couldn't figure it out. If you had something more tricky, they would make you an apointment to speak with a banker in the upstairs office.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:11 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Scotiabank- they were supposed to have some partnership with Barclays which turned out to be a load of tosh.

No more complaints than I'd have for any bank.

One nice thing is a branch 5 minutes walk away is open till 7 on weekdays and on Saturdays which is useful for getting stuff done when you are 9 till 5-er.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:28 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnh009
Difficult to get cash online.

No not everyone likes to use debit cards.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I started with Scotia Bank and they promised me a credit card after 6 months. After 6 months I asked they said no, so I changed to TD who straight away gave me a secured credit card.

TD are open late at night and 7 days a week too, so handy.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

We use RBC because they were the most helpful when we were making enquiries about bank accounts when we first arrived. Mortgage is with TD bank because they gave us a very good rate.

Not had any issues with either of them.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:01 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

RBC - opened originally as a friend worked there when I first moved here. The service has been fine and for the last few years it's been free so no complaints there. I like right now that I have an e-savings account which I can flip money in and out of easily and it gets 1.25%.

They helped us get a mortgage and secured credit card not long after moving here and were good to deal with through that. Since then I've got rid of the secured card and moved mortgage.

Now have a RBC Avion Visa card for the points for flying

Just opened an HSBC business account, the only one I could find that's free. No opinion on it yet but like the cost!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.