Baking

Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:40 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold
Default Baking

Anyone know how to turn all purpose flour into self raising or can you get self raising now? I'm guessing baking powder but not sure of quantities and results. Any disasters anyone?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baking

Originally Posted by ellsie
Anyone know how to turn all purpose flour into self raising or can you get self raising now? I'm guessing baking powder but not sure of quantities and results. Any disasters anyone?
We mostly have home made bread. It's made with a mixture of something called "bread flour" and something else called "all purpose flour". I only know this much as I'm often given shopping lists including these items and then scolded for bringing the wrong thing.

Have asked for the recipe.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, here's is my correspondence with the person who bakes:

Me: "Have you a recipe for making bread: how do you do it?"

YAL: "Mix flour, water and yeast. Let sit. Mix in more flour, knead, let sit. Punch down and shape, let sit. Bake."

Me: "Er, thank you but the original question was about making bread without access to self-raising flour. Do you use APF?"

YAL: "Self-raising flour is from the devil. I use bread flour, which has more protein and is harder than All-purpose. All-purpose will certainly do, though."

If you would like more strongly worded and curiously uninformative opinions on foods in Canada do please ask, we eat frequently.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The full recipe is here:

http://bread.cooksillustrated.com/re...d_Version/1027

I haven't cut and pasted it because it's probably copyrighted.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy self raising at places like the Bulk Barn.

Self raising was covered here before, Im sure.

self-rising flour: 1-1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt per cup (source: Pillsbury flour bag).
Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:13 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
FWIW, here's is my correspondence with the person who bakes:

Me: "Have you a recipe for making bread: how do you do it?"

YAL: "Mix flour, water and yeast. Let sit. Mix in more flour, knead, let sit. Punch down and shape, let sit. Bake."

Me: "Er, thank you but the original question was about making bread without access to self-raising flour. Do you use APF?"

YAL: "Self-raising flour is from the devil. I use bread flour, which has more protein and is harder than All-purpose. All-purpose will certainly do, though."

If you would like more strongly worded and curiously uninformative opinions on foods in Canada do please ask, we eat frequently.
We use All purpose flour but bake bread the easy way. Add ingredients to breadmaker in order specified in breadmaker user guide cum recipe book. Do this late at night preferably after a night out cos you fancy fresh bread in the morning to go with your hangover. Spill flour but don't worry about cleaning up til the morning. Set timer on breadmaker for 8:30am or whenever. Go to bed. Wake up in the wee small hours wondering what the hell that bloody noise is. Oh it's the breadmaker kneading the dough. Wake up in the morning to the smell of freshly baked bread. Open the breadmaker in anticipation to find a loaf about half the size and twice the weight that it should be. Mmm it's rather filling. Check date on yeast. Bugger it expired 2 months ago. Buy new yeast. Repeat as neccessary!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
We use All purpose flour but bake bread the easy way. Add ingredients to breadmaker in order specified in breadmaker user guide cum recipe book. Do this late at night preferably after a night out cos you fancy fresh bread in the morning to go with your hangover. Spill flour but don't worry about cleaning up til the morning. Set timer on breadmaker for 8:30am or whenever. Go to bed. Wake up in the wee small hours wondering what the hell that bloody noise is. Oh it's the breadmaker kneading the dough. Wake up in the morning to the smell of freshly baked bread. Open the breadmaker in anticipation to find a loaf about half the size and twice the weight that it should be. Mmm it's rather filling. Check date on yeast. Bugger it expired 2 months ago. Buy new yeast. Repeat as neccessary!
LOL
Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Check date on yeast. Bugger it expired 2 months ago. Buy new yeast. Repeat as neccessary!
I understand the need for recent yeast as we home brew. Worst home brew screw up was when I was left at the controls. I fetched the corn syrup, two huge bottles because it was on sale, and diligently followed the usual recipe. I should have looked more closely at those bottles but I had no idea there was such a thing as flavoured corn syrup. It took a long time to use up eight gallons of "smoked maple" beer. We did so by mixing it with Lakeport.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I use 1 tspn baking powder to 1 cup flour.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:51 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Trish,and all who have replied I like to bake cakes so that's what I needed. You do need bread flour for bread as the gluten is more elastic in strong flour and you would need salt for flavour. I will be making more bread when I get there as your daily sliced wasn't too brill. Never mind, pass the smoked maple beer!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Trish,and all who have replied I like to bake cakes so that's what I needed. You do need bread flour for bread as the gluten is more elastic in strong flour and you would need salt for flavour. I will be making more bread when I get there as your daily sliced wasn't too brill. Never mind, pass the smoked maple beer!
I also tip some baking powder into the bread machine too to get a lighter loaf - about 1 tspn.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

If you're feeling lazy and want good bread; Ace brand breads are available frozen and revive quite well. Costco has them cheap though of course you have to buy them by the truck load.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

kayh has a brilliant futurekayh has a brilliant futurekayh has a brilliant futurekayh has a brilliant futurekayh has a brilliant futurekayh has a brilliant futurekayh has a brilliant future

While there is a thread on baking, I am struggling to find good old lard. You cant make good pastry with some lard and I have been so far unable to find. Tried making it using 100% butter instead of half and half but tasted yukky and was really crumbly.

Any suggestions?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kayh
While there is a thread on baking, I am struggling to find good old lard. You cant make good pastry with some lard and I have been so far unable to find. Tried making it using 100% butter instead of half and half but tasted yukky and was really crumbly.

Any suggestions?
We use "vegetable shortening"...The butter flavour Crisco seems to work fine.

Its probably healthier than lard too, which is an animal sourced (pork?) shortening.

If you can find a non hydrogenated shortening thats even better as its will be trans-fat free.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 26th 2006 at 2:38 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Lard is readily available here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.