Baking

Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

sally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to all
Default Re: Baking

Originally Posted by ellsie
Anyone know how to turn all purpose flour into self raising or can you get self raising now? I'm guessing baking powder but not sure of quantities and results. Any disasters anyone?
Ellsie, there is a form of self raising flour called cake and baking....don't be tempted to use it! It has an enourmous amount of added salt, and my dumplings tasted like I'd simmered them in the atlantic!!!
Thanks Trish for the amounts, you've saved me looking it up!
Sally
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget the salt!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

sally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
Dont forget the salt!
LOL
For such a health conscious country, I am surprised by the amount of salt added to almost everything....the only thing I like a touch of salt in is OXO cubes, and you can't even get them here, just those silly little sachets. My friendly dollar store stocks (bad pun I know,) English chocolate, jam, tea, etc...in fact almost everything I might, but haven't really missed, ( other than self raising and OXO cubes.) Apparently, he gets asked for them frequently, but isn't allowed to import them because of the food colouring....makes me wonder what I have been putting in my stews for years, and there I was worrying about too much salt!!!
Sally
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sally h
LOL
For such a health conscious country, I am surprised by the amount of salt added to almost everything....the only thing I like a touch of salt in is OXO cubes, and you can't even get them here,
OXO cubes are readily available in the supermarkets around here.

I've a feeling the salt in needed in the home made self raising to counter the ammonia that the baking powder breaks down to...or something like that? Anyway, every home made self raising recipe Ive seen has had salt along with the baking powder.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 26th 2006 at 4:08 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

We use "vegetable shortening"...The butter flavour Crisco seems to work fine.

Its probably healthier than lard too, which is an animal sourced (pork?) shortening.

If you can find a non hydrogenated shortening thats even better as its will be trans-fat free.
You're right, NON-hydrogenated is the way to go! Any fat that is 'hydrogenated', even if vegetable based, is a 'trans fat' and has been proven far more dangerous to our health than pure animal fats such as lard. So when you see "vegetable oil shortening" on the label, don't be fooled - lard is BETTER.

As the "Mrs" of a high blood pressure/high cholesterol, and finally a heart attack victim, I've done my homework. Trans fat is EVIL; avoid it at all costs. It's in almost all fast food, frozen pizza, pastries, cakes, packaged cookies, breads, crackers, donuts, baked goods, and even some cereals (mostly kids stuff ).

The good news is; there has been a major push to ban, or at least reduce levels of trans fats in manufacturing in Canada since about 2004 - the bad news is, it hasn't happened yet - It's bad for business!

The "Voortman" company gets my vote, they have voluntarily begun removing trans fats from their products. So karma to them
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sally h
Ellsie, there is a form of self raising flour called cake and baking....don't be tempted to use it! It has an enourmous amount of added salt, and my dumplings tasted like I'd simmered them in the atlantic!!!
Thanks Trish for the amounts, you've saved me looking it up!
Sally
Don't take my measurements as gospel!! Only a rough guide. It will also depend on whether you're baking in a gas oven or electric. I switched from gas in the UK to electric here (I hate electric!!) and have had to do much trial and error cooking/baking with new ingredients and cooking times, etc.

One thing I've noted here too is that mascarpone cheese tastes really awful in Canada - so long to my lovely gooey sweet tiramisu puds!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Calgal
don't be fooled - lard is BETTER.
Trans fats may be evil, but BHT is a suspected carcinogen :scared:, banned in Japan as long ago as the 1950s.

Lard quite often is sold with BHT as an added preservative(E321), and its way high in cholesterol too.

Oh well, you cant win. Gotta die of something!

Last edited by iaink; Sep 26th 2006 at 4:34 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Trans fats may be evil, but BHT is a carcinogen :scared:, banned in Japan as long ago as the 1950s.

Lard quite often is sold with BHT as an added preservative, and its way high in cholesterol too.

Oh well, you cant win. Gotta die of something!
Oh I know lard is bad - but I meant in terms of versus trans fat veg shortening, it's 'better'.

I know about BHT, too - but had no idea they put it in lard (though doesn't matter to me as I don't buy lard either)

BHT is very commonly used here, too, even tough it's banned in many other countries. It's in most cereal packaging, among other things.

BGH didn't make it into the Canadian milk supply, unlike the US, thank god (again banned almost worldwide, and with good reason).
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:57 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TrishB
Don't take my measurements as gospel!! Only a rough guide.
You must be a delight to go clothes shopping with.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
You must be a delight to go clothes shopping with.
Ohhhhh, don't go there!!!!!!! 5ft tall, UK shoe size 3/Canadian size 5. Finding shoes to fit is a nightmare! Haven't even tried shopping for clothes yet - I'm too scared .......
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ohhhhh, don't go there!!!!!!! 5ft tall, UK shoe size 3/Canadian size 5. Finding shoes to fit is a nightmare! Haven't even tried shopping for clothes yet - I'm too scared .......
That's weird - I see loads of size 5 shoes on the shelf here! Us Albertans must have big feet!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Calgal
That's weird - I see loads of size 5 shoes on the shelf here! Us Albertans must have big feet!

?big feet???? Mmmm, I'm talking about Youth's size 5!!!!!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

?big feet???? Mmmm, I'm talking about Youth's size 5!!!!!
Blimey that's really tiny!!

I meant size 5 (womens) are left on the shelf and the bigger ones are gone, hence we must have big feet out here
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:36 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellsie
Anyone know how to turn all purpose flour into self raising or can you get self raising now? I'm guessing baking powder but not sure of quantities and results. Any disasters anyone?
In my cupboard I have Brodie xxx Self.Raising cake and pastry flour. Bought from Save on Foods in Red Deer. I have heard that if you live in a high altitude area you need to add more flour - but I don't know bit worried about baking and making my new oven all yucky - bound to make a mess/set the smoke alarm off or something
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:06 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
In my cupboard I have Brodie xxx Self.Raising cake and pastry flour. Bought from Save on Foods in Red Deer. I have heard that if you live in a high altitude area you need to add more flour - but I don't know bit worried about baking and making my new oven all yucky - bound to make a mess/set the smoke alarm off or something
Neat trick I learned to save endless hours of oven cleaning, buy/put an extra baking tray or cookie sheet (as they call them there) thats big enough to just snuggly fit into your oven on the bottom (and often unused) rack of the oven, catches all the drips & splatters and a heck of alot easier to clean off after baking then the entire oven.

Dunno 'bout you but something terrifyingly suicidal about spending a day with my head popping into an oven... maybe I need to cut back on the horror films now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.