Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Old Aug 4th 2015, 12:24 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Most people in our area have an ensuite for every bedroom and a 4 bed is standard. It's ridiculous and a total waste of money + most of the time it's just basic. We only have one ensuite and it's more than enough, but at least it's a nice one.
Where are you?
Old Aug 4th 2015, 12:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Most people in our area have an ensuite for every bedroom
How would you know this?
Old Aug 4th 2015, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Where are you?
Ireland and to answer dbd33, a lot of the newer houses in our village were built during the boom time and have the same kind of design. Of course there are also many older builds, but in general they would be similar to the below, however this is a bit pricey.
Brockagh, Corofin, Co. Galway - House For Sale

This house here is a bit older and I find it hard to believe that it would only cost 550K

Castle Hacket House, Belclare, Co. Galway - House For Sale

Last edited by Moses2013; Aug 4th 2015 at 1:36 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 1:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This house here is a bit older and I find it hard to believe that it would only cost 550K

Castle Hacket House, Belclare, Co. Galway - House For Sale
I like the horse. I wonder if they'd throw it in.

Around here the houses are all different from one another, built at different times by different people. It's hard to guess what lurks behind the facade.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 1:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just looking on a house for sale site called Nestoria.

Search terms "House with 1 bathroom" then upped number.

Results
8,780 houses for sale in London with 1 bath
2,604 houses for sale in London with 2 baths
974 houses for sale in London with 3 baths
625 houses for sale in London with 4 or more baths

859 houses for sale in Bristol with 1 bath
105 houses for sale in Bristol with 2 baths
25 houses for sale in Bristol with 3 baths
9 houses for sale in Bristol with 4 or more baths

4,991 houses for sale in Birmingham with 1 bath
477 houses for sale in Birmingham with 2 baths
128 houses for sale in Birmingham with 3 baths
58 houses for sale in Birmingham with 4 or more baths

Make of that what you will.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I like the horse. I wonder if they'd throw it in.

Around here the houses are all different from one another, built at different times by different people. It's hard to guess what lurks behind the facade.
Yeah the horse would be good. Of course in our area not everyone has the 4 en suites, but there just seems to be a lot of these houses around and in general it has to be 3-4 bedrooms. A lot of the time the people here just want a big house and aren't bothered about interior, or presentation. It is slowly changing, but still a long way to go. Even when it comes to the garden, many have half a acre as standard and hate gardening.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just looking on a house for sale site called Nestoria.

Search terms "House with 1 bathroom" then upped number.

Results
8,780 houses for sale in London with 1 bath
2,604 houses for sale in London with 2 baths
974 houses for sale in London with 3 baths
625 houses for sale in London with 4 or more baths

859 houses for sale in Bristol with 1 bath
105 houses for sale in Bristol with 2 baths
25 houses for sale in Bristol with 3 baths
9 houses for sale in Bristol with 4 or more baths

4,991 houses for sale in Birmingham with 1 bath
477 houses for sale in Birmingham with 2 baths
128 houses for sale in Birmingham with 3 baths
58 houses for sale in Birmingham with 4 or more baths

Make of that what you will.
What I make of it is that houses with only 1 bathroom are still very common in the UK - not "very unusual".
Old Aug 4th 2015, 2:27 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I got 190 properties for sale with 1 bathroom in Horley, Surrey where we used to live and 18 for sale with 2 bathrooms.

That's clearly an area still in the dark ages.

I like that Nestoria site, very useful. Rightmove doesn't give you number of bathroom options
Old Aug 4th 2015, 2:30 pm
Happy

Oh and all those houses are jolly expensive. Only two are under £500k
Old Aug 4th 2015, 2:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
What I make of it is that houses with only 1 bathroom are still very common in the UK - not "very unusual".
Of course, it might turn out that there are more 1 bathroom places for sale because they're not selling while those with more have sold and the numbers have reduced. Who knows?

What it does indicate is that despite all the advice for sellers to add a spare or en-suite a lot of people, for whatever reason, are not doing so.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Of course, it might turn out that there are more 1 bathroom places for sale because they're not selling while those with more have sold and the numbers have reduced. Who knows?

What it does indicate is that despite all the advice for sellers to add a spare or en-suite a lot of people, for whatever reason, are not doing so.
Indeed there are many reasons and it is hard to compare. It's obvious that people living in city apartments with 1 bedroom won't have 3 en suites.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:09 pm
Oscar nominated

It's obvious that people living in city apartments with 1 bedroom won't have 3 en suites.
Hence my search on houses exclusively.

I went back a little later and did the same thing for 3 bedroom houses. Similar results.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

True but, regardless, your numbers indicate there are many thousands of 1 bathroom dwellings in the UK. Definitely not within the realm of "very unusual" - which I suspected anyway as most people I know in the UK still only have 1 bathroom. The study I found from 2009 indicated that 59% of dwellings in England only had 1 toilet. A higher percentage than that would have had 1 bathroom (e.g. some with 2 toilets would have consisted of 1 full bathroom and an additional WC). I can't believe that 59%+ has dwindled to the realms of "very unusual" within 6 years.

Also, London is different in that it's an economy of its own in terms of property. My brother has a 3 bed semi with 1 bathroom in NW London which he completely renovated but didn't add a bathroom. He was thinking of listing it for 450k (GBP) and someone he knows immediately offered him 450k cash. He has decided to wait as he thinks he'll get 500k or even 550k when he's ready to list later this year or early next year.

I suspect in many cases it's not practical as many older builds don't have the space or have plumbing issues that would make it too expensive. From what I've been reading, it certainly does seem like there's a trend for en suite and multiple bathrooms in new builds and also in renovations. But there's clearly still a huge amount of dwellings in the UK with 1 bathroom. And in a desirable area of London, it's a seller's market anyway and there is not as much incentive to add a bathroom. My brother ploughed his money into renovating the existing bathroom and kitchen. It would have been very difficult to add another bathroom anyway. He doesn't care - he knows it's going to sell fast. He's in construction and knows a bunch of people who want to buy it from him.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Neither of those homes in any picture float my boat el Richo.
You ignore my point of generalizing. Touche
Old Aug 11th 2015, 1:18 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Guess you haven't been to Belfast recently lol.
Yes I have! Did you not read my post...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.