British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/back-uk-then-returned-canada-how-you-861981/)

bearfacts Jul 17th 2015 8:53 pm

Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Hi Brit expats, Great site, amazed at the amount of expatriate information.
I've been reading some of the reasons people come back to the UK then head back to their emigrant country.
We're ever interested what drives people to make the major decision to come back to the UK and then decide to return to Canada /or indeed other countries.

In our case, we lived in Canada 9 years. Came back after a sense of isolation set in over a 2 year period. We decided we should give it a go and zip back to Blighty. Now realise we have grown used to living in Canada. Seems a pity in one way to head back to Canada, due to family here in the UK. But not as though we see them constantly. You have to think about daily life and live it to the full...:)!

Did anyone else get that 'dull' feeling being back in the UK? Don't wan't to put a 'y' in front of UK.... but it just seems like the people lack enthusiasm and don't get up and go. I know some think Canadians can be over the top, even pretentious at times and again lots of threads about challenges of making friends with Canuks beyond friendly acquaintances. Nevertheless it still seems preferable.
Things are cleaner, brighter and more positive in Canada. We were on the West Coast so for sure, didn't have the snow issues of fellow expats.

I realise these are generalisations and clearly people have different opinions about both countries good and bad.

Ha, we expats are never happy I guess.

Oink Jul 17th 2015 9:22 pm

Re: Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Originally Posted by bearfacts (Post 11701970)
Hi Brit expats, Great site, amazed at the amount of expatriate information.
I've been reading some of the reasons people come back to the UK then head back to their emigrant country.
We're ever interested what drives people to make the major decision to come back to the UK and then decide to return to Canada /or indeed other countries.

In our case, we lived in Canada 9 years. Came back after a sense of isolation set in over a 2 year period. We decided we should give it a go and zip back to Blighty. Now realise we have grown used to living in Canada. Seems a pity in one way to head back to Canada, due to family here in the UK. But not as though we see them constantly. You have to think about daily life and live it to the full...:)!

Did anyone else get that 'dull' feeling being back in the UK? Don't wan't to put a 'y' in front of UK.... but it just seems like the people lack enthusiasm and don't get up and go. I know some think Canadians can be over the top, even pretentious at times and again lots of threads about challenges of making friends with Canuks beyond friendly acquaintances. Nevertheless it still seems preferable.
Things are cleaner, brighter and more positive in Canada. We were on the West Coast so for sure, didn't have the snow issues of fellow expats.

I realise these are generalisations and clearly people have different opinions about both countries good and bad.

Ha, we expats are never happy I guess.

You were mixing with the wrong crowd then as I find the complete opposite. I find the Canadians I mix with incredibly insecure resulting in conservatism at best, more probably incompetence. My British colleagues can be stuffy and more concerned with which school or college they went to, but when there is a tough situation they perform admirably with few mistakes and are funny with it.

rivingtonpike Jul 17th 2015 9:53 pm

My Mum has just spent 10 days back in Lancashire looking after some family stuff (she lives in France). After the experience, she has vowed she will never return to the North West whatever happens. Too much negativity. Too dirty. Too expensive.

I can't see us moving back to the UK any time soon.

el_richo Jul 18th 2015 2:14 am

I'm looking forward to seeing any apples to apples comparisons.

On a side note, we drove through the Bransholme Estate in Hull once and after comparing it to Ambelside in West Vancouver we agreed Canada was better than the UK.

Londonuck Jul 18th 2015 3:47 am

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 11702074)
I'm looking forward to seeing any apples to apples comparisons.

On a side note, we drove through the Bransholme Estate in Hull once and after comparing it to Ambelside in West Vancouver we agreed Canada was better than the UK.

I bet the pubs are better in Hull than West Van. And thats saying something.

bearfacts Jul 18th 2015 7:13 am

Thanks for your responses guys. Interesting point Oink regards your Brit colleagues fine performance in a crises. Fair play. Actually the team of Canadians I worked with were funny and didn't stand on ceremony, but that was at our local level. Some of the managers on the other hand were hopeless and disingenuous.

For sure everyone's experiences are different.
Cheers.

bearfacts Jul 18th 2015 7:20 am

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11701993)
My Mum has just spent 10 days back in Lancashire looking after some family stuff (she lives in France). After the experience, she has vowed she will never return to the North West whatever happens. Too much negativity. Too dirty. Too expensive.

I can't see us moving back to the UK any time soon.

Found the North West cheap, compared to the South East. Relatives in Manchester, they enjoy life there, lots of facilities and stuff to do. Though they have good jobs. But traffic is bonkers, as is the case in a lot of the UK.
Cheers.

Shard Jul 18th 2015 4:16 pm

Nope, never feel it's dull in the UK. Not in the SE/London. Quite the opposite. So much going on and everyone seems switched on and ready to discuss things. Neither place is perfect though, some aspects better in Canada, some better in the UK.

bearfacts Jul 18th 2015 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11702401)
Nope, never feel it's dull in the UK. Not in the SE/London. Quite the opposite. So much going on and everyone seems switched on and ready to discuss things. Neither place is perfect though, some aspects better in Canada, some better in the UK.

Well put Shard. Neither place is perfect, some things better in Canada and UK. I'm finding the traffic in SE England very congested though. Drive in Kent /Sussex countryside, but most places are stuffed. Took a trip to North Wales, that was nice:) Open roads.

But yeah as stated by many, driving standards are better in the UK. I guess due to the 'obstacle course' and narrow roads. Canadians with non use of indicators, non existent roundabout education etc. is more hairy in that respect.

London, lots going on as you say, but very rushed, you're cast aside if too slow. Bit nuts to see the tension. I didn't find this in Calgary & Vancouver (ha, except behind the wheel as discussed...)
Toronto visits - we had people coming up to us to help, when we looked at the map on the street. Some may disagree but Toronto for its size and populous, still a better, easier atmosphere than London.

Cheers.

Shard Jul 18th 2015 7:04 pm

How long have you been back in Britain?

MikeUK Jul 19th 2015 8:07 am

Well I've pinged and ponged

2yrs Canada > 2yrs UK > 10yrs Canada > 2yrs UK

As many will say something better in each location

BUT !! the UK has no nasty bitter winter in which to commute

IMHO you can add up all Canada’s pluses, and they'll never erase that negative

bearfacts Jul 19th 2015 8:38 am

Originally Posted by MikeUK (Post 11702671)
Well I've pinged and ponged

2yrs Canada > 2yrs UK > 10yrs Canada > 2yrs UK

As many will say something better in each location

BUT !! the UK has no nasty bitter winter in which to commute

IMHO you can add up all Canada’s pluses, and they'll never erase that negative

Hi Mike, sounds like you're experienced at popping back to the ol' country and over again. Must get expensive. For us this time, we won't take much stuff back to Canada. We were West Coasters...so mainly rain rather than the fine fluffy stuff. East coast seems a lot more bitter with Winter. But most of the folk still have a smile on their face most of the time....!#@:)

Was it mainly the Winter that took you back to the UK, and what made you return to Canada may I ask?

In our case, purely felt isolated from family, but put it aside for some years, finally thought let's give it a go back in the UK. But now looking at the big picture again and settling in Canada seems the best option. But one never knows...you know how life is.

Cheers.

bearfacts Jul 19th 2015 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11702460)
How long have you been back in Britain?

Now back 18 months. After a few months we thought better to be in Canada. But gave it a decent amount of time. We've looked at different parts of the UK and opportunities. We had some good visits to Manchester and Liverpool, ah the Scousers are a friendly lot, can't say it's all bad here. I wouldn't knock the place totally, just overall Canada ticks more boxes. Like open space and Pacific summers among other things.

Cheers.

Shard Jul 19th 2015 8:59 am

Originally Posted by bearfacts (Post 11702690)
Now back 18 months. After a few months we thought better to be in Canada. But gave it a decent amount of time. We've looked at different parts of the UK and opportunities. We had some good visits to Manchester and Liverpool, ah the Scousers are a friendly lot, can't say it's all bad here. I wouldn't knock the place totally, just overall Canada ticks more boxes. Like open space and Pacific summers among other things.

Cheers.

The Pacific summers are very decent. A bit heavy on the UV during the day, but the evenings are wonderful. British are summers can also be wonderful, just a bit unreliable, this one as evidence. It generally takes two full years (two annual cycles) to readjust IME.

Toon Alcona Jul 19th 2015 2:30 pm

Interesting, my family has just spent 3.5 years in southern ontario - working in Toronto but couldn't live there - and we're in the process of moving to the UK. I have a few friends who think I'm mad for leaving, and others who think I'm mad for staying so long!

Work is easier in Canada, no question. But infuriating.

Our main reason for going back to the UK is for family and friends, those guys who would make any place in the world feel like the best option. For us there comes a point when the country you live in is almost immaterial.